Guys can you please help at all?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

davefk

Guys can you please help at all?

Post by davefk »

Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2 - 2.5.1 driver
Midi Interface: Behringer UMX610 keyboard

This is happening on everything I record. Everything needs to be shifted 1/32nd to the right as everything except for the first note (midi) or sample (audio) is being recorded 1/32nd too early. It's also happening with another DAW I installed to test. It's obviously a PC issue, but it's driving me nuts.

I have a feeling it's got something to do with my AV (Avast) but I've disabled and even uninstalled Avast, and the problem still persists. The reason I think it has something to do with my AV, is that as soon as I updated it to the latest version on my laptop, then I got the same issue as I now have on my PC.

I think Avast has made a change that persist even after Avast is uninstalled. It could be something else entirely, but I'm just trying to figure this out. If you can’t help that's OK, I was hoping (I really hope you don't have this problem) that other users may be experiencing the same issue, particularly those using Avast AV that could help.

I've uninstalled my audio and midi drivers, cleaned out any USB entries using USB-Deview, and re-installed but the same issue....

Could you please record a few bars of single notes to the beat of say 80 bpm with the metronome, and then look to see if the notes are on the bar or early... I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Last edited by davefk on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
AHornsby

Re: Guys can you please help at all?

Post by AHornsby »

All I know is that some AV software is very persistent -- even after 'un-installing' it --in that it redefines (by overwriting) certain system files that are used universally throughout the system. If it's of any consequence, Avast is a Czech product.

The only thing I can suggest is to wipe your drive (using a disc wiping program) and reinstall Windows using the installation disc. Doing that will give you the default system files back.

I know that wasn't much help.
davefk

Post by davefk »

AHornsby wrote:All I know is that some AV software is very persistent -- even after 'un-installing' it --in that it redefines (by overwriting) certain system files that are used universally throughout the system. If it's of any consequence, Avast is a Czech product.

The only thing I can suggest is to wipe your drive (using a disc wiping program) and reinstall Windows using the installation disc. Doing that will give you the default system files back.

I know that wasn't much help.
Thanks for replying. I will try a little longer to see if I can find the cause. Could you please record a few bars of single notes to the beat of say 80 bpm with the metronome, and then look to see if the notes are on the bar or early... I would appreciate your feedback.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

davefk wrote:
Thanks for replying. I will try a little longer to see if I can find the cause. Could you please record a few bars of single notes to the beat of say 80 bpm with the metronome, and then look to see if the notes are on the bar or early... I would appreciate your feedback.
Sure, I can do that. It may be a while but I will get to it today.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Spectacle.DB4166.png
Spectacle.DB4166.png (73.69 KiB) Viewed 8948 times
I'm uncertain about what you need as a reference but this is the normal cadence for me.
davefk

Post by davefk »

AHornsby wrote:
Spectacle.DB4166.png
I'm uncertain about what you need as a reference but this is the normal cadence for me.
Thanks Harry, that image is quite revealing. See the way the notes are being recorded before the bar, that's the issue I have. I don't expect to get every note perfect, but if I record just a single note at a low bpm then I should get the timing pretty spot on, but that's not what is happening, and in my case I use to get my notes mainly spot on at even high tempo's.

The other issue is that audio is behaving the same. If you grab a track you can play an instrument along to (in my case I played bass) then as you are playing it sounds tight, but once you stop recording and look at the timing, you will see its about 1/32 out (same as midi) and I have to slide the recording to the right to line it up.

It's a pain, that stops me from enjoying my software, but i'm determined to find the cause :-)

Could you do me one more favour please and try the same at 120 bpm but just one note for about 9 bars? Note played when the metronome plays on the beat. Thanks.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Here's the project. Hope this helps.
Attachments
ukdavetest.mx8
(17.68 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Revo Uninstaller Pro.... and then when it's done running the Avast native uninstaller, let it go find any leftovers and delete them all...

I started using Revo Uninstaller 4 years ago and I can't imagine not having it.. It removes all that left over crap
D@n

Post by D@n »

davefk wrote: This is happening on everything I record. Everything needs to be shifted 1/32nd to the right as everything except for the first note (midi) or sample (audio) is being recorded 1/32nd too early.
I'm not sure I understand or you confuse left/right. :?

If you must shift notes to right, it's because they record too early ...Just like your first note!

Anyway, if the notes are recorded too early, this can't be a latency problem due to the sound card, DAW or the antivirus effect because it would be rather the opposite: the notes will be recorded with delay/latency!

You tried with automatic quantization (on recording)? Maybe you disabled this function by mistake?

Otherwise, without activating the automatic quantization when we record, it's impossible to play 100% perfectly on each times, the notes are always a little before or after, as in the image and in the project of Ahornsby shared.
I've eclectic tastes: Metal, Orchestral, Chillout, New Age and a bit of EDM

MC Pro Studio 8.1 B413 (64-bit)
W10 64-bit
i7 8700K 4.8 GHz
Focusrite Scarlett2 18i8
Yam HS7/ATH-m40fs/ATH-M50X/
Nektar Impact LX61+/YRG-1000
Rode NT1-A

Ibanez RGAIX6U
davefk

Post by davefk »

D@n wrote:
davefk wrote: This is happening on everything I record. Everything needs to be shifted 1/32nd to the right as everything except for the first note (midi) or sample (audio) is being recorded 1/32nd too early.
I'm not sure I understand or you confuse left/right. :?

If you must shift notes to right, it's because they record too early ...Just like your first note!

Correct

Anyway, if the notes are recorded too early, this can't be a latency problem due to the sound card, DAW or the antivirus effect because it would be rather the opposite: the notes will be recorded with delay/latency!

Possibly

You tried with automatic quantization (on recording)? Maybe you disabled this function by mistake?

I prefer to leave that off....

Otherwise, without activating the automatic quantization when we record, it's impossible to play 100% perfectly on each times, the notes are always a little before or after, as in the image and in the project of Ahornsby shared.

Yep, but try playing a note at say 40-50 or 60 BPM and you should be nearly spot on the beat. But no matter what my notes are about 1/32 out. Plus, as I said above it's everything I record, even audio.

Thanks for your input :-)

outteh

Post by outteh »

Dave, maybe it's the metronome that is off? Try using an external one to play along with and see if this improves things? :D
D@n

Post by D@n »

Interesting! The metronome sound uses master track, so if there is a lot of latency (project with several effects, high buffer setting, etc.) it can affect the metronome sound click/master track, indeed! :wink:
I've eclectic tastes: Metal, Orchestral, Chillout, New Age and a bit of EDM

MC Pro Studio 8.1 B413 (64-bit)
W10 64-bit
i7 8700K 4.8 GHz
Focusrite Scarlett2 18i8
Yam HS7/ATH-m40fs/ATH-M50X/
Nektar Impact LX61+/YRG-1000
Rode NT1-A

Ibanez RGAIX6U