Amp Farm with Mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bryan9696

Amp Farm with Mixcraft

Post by bryan9696 »

Hello all. I remember a time back when I was recording at a local studio (not local now) and the tech there used the guitar amp simulation software Amp Farm (I believe that is what it was called). Unlike other guitar softwares I have seen, I could here the simulated guitar as I was recording, not just on playback only. Is this software compatible with Mixcraft 3 (if they even still make it). I just remember getting a very good Plexi sound from it that was unreal. Are there some other softwares like this where you can hear the effect when you are recording? Thanks.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

One of the regulars here (EL34) uses Guitar Rig.

Yes, you could apply an effect and then hear what it sounds like. If there's a lag when you do this, you can go into the Sound Device preferences and either: 1) Try ASIO mode if it is available or 2) Lower the number of buffers down to 4 and the buffer size down to 4096.

Note that the latter technique can cause playback stuttering, so if you're experiencing that, switch the buffers and buffer size back.

Greg
bryan9696

Post by bryan9696 »

Thanks Greg, I'll look into Guitar Rig and I'll check those settings.
bryan9696

Post by bryan9696 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

One of the regulars here (EL34) uses Guitar Rig.

Yes, you could apply an effect and then hear what it sounds like. If there's a lag when you do this, you can go into the Sound Device preferences and either: 1) Try ASIO mode if it is available or 2) Lower the number of buffers down to 4 and the buffer size down to 4096.

Note that the latter technique can cause playback stuttering, so if you're experiencing that, switch the buffers and buffer size back.

Greg
Hi Greg, please excuse my lack of knowledge for computer settings. I tried to find the Sound Devices but didn't come up with much. All I could find is that it is set at Conextant? Not sure what this is. I have Asio4All somewhere in here because it automatically downloaded when I downloaded FL Studio 7. I thought it would automatically default to this once the download was complete; and maybe it did and I just don't see it. I am looking at the "Sound" tab from the "Control Panel". Am I in the right place? I also didn't see a latency option anywhere in there either. I did see a latency option under the desktop shortcut for the Asio4All and they are set all the way down, but again I don't know if this is set to be downfault. Sorry for the confusion. (BTW, I'm using Vista Home Premium).
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In Mixcraft, click on the File menu and select Preferences. In the Sound Device preferences, you'll find the buffer and buffer size settings, along with the ASIO setting (which will only be available if you have ASIO drivers installed).

Greg
bryan9696

Post by bryan9696 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

In Mixcraft, click on the File menu and select Preferences. In the Sound Device preferences, you'll find the buffer and buffer size settings, along with the ASIO setting (which will only be available if you have ASIO drivers installed).

Greg
Thanks, and yes, I found it there. I also found the ASIO driver there too. I selected the ASIO and then I got no sound/signal whatsoever when trying to record. There is also no buffer options for the ASIO mode (I'm wondering if the ASIO that came with the FL Studio demo is also a demo??). The other option there was the WAVE driver (default). I set it back to that. I then tried the buffer trick in WAVE that you mentioned and as you stated, it gave me a stuttering sound.

I'm wondering if I should try to use a USB interface for recording my audio signals instead of going direct to the soundcard . . . ?? I believe Behringer has one at a very reasonable price:
http://www.behringer.com/UCA202/index.cfm?lang=eng

Would this help?
EL34

Post by EL34 »

I use Guitar Rig 3, which is really nice amp sim software from Native Instruments. It has a bazzillion amps, cabinets, effects and all other types of cool tools and toys.
http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=guitarline

I record by plugging my guitar into a tube preamp-> into the computer ->sound procesed by Guitar Rig->then into Mixcraft.

I hate recording with headphones. :evil:

The way you can listen to what you play as your record Guitar rig without headphones (or with headphones) is to send the mixcraft output to a second soundcard and then to an amplifier and a set of speakers.

Guitar rig uses ASIO and so I record the wav output from guitar rig on one soundcard and the playback is done at the same time with the other soundcard.
If you try and record the wav output from guitar rig with just one soundcard, you will be recording the playback mix at the same time you are recording your guitar which is not what you want.

Guiatr rig 3 is using the ASIO from my recording soundcard and I have not found a way to use ASIO in mixcraft yet. Not an expert on ASIO but I guess two pieces of software cannot use the same ASIO driver at the same time.

You can also record your guitar tone dry and then apply guitar rig as a VST effect in Mixcraft. This way you can change your guitar tone however you like after it has been recorded.
bryan9696

Post by bryan9696 »

Thanks Greg and EL34. I checked out the samples at Guitar Rig and they do sound great. Unfortunately it is out of my budget.

What tube pre-amp are using before hitting your soundcard? Do you go from the pre-amp and then into the 1/8in. line input on your computer? Do you find this better than going from your guitar direct to computer line/mic input? Sorry for the questions, I'm still learning computer recording . . . Thanks for the help.
bigalrocks65

Post by bigalrocks65 »

Hello Bro, listen I use Line 6 Toneport, the $69 small unit, and I get great tones! It's a simple, small USB interface and it works flawlessly. Amp Farm is a Line 6 program for Pro Tools. This uses GearBox and comes with a very hardy selection of sims. Like anything else, tones are user defined. I have not had ANY latency issues and not have had to figure out ASIO or even look into it. Install Toneport, follow directions, plug in and go! You can use it before the Mixcraft DAW, as a plug in, or just to jam. I connect a set of monitors to the Toneport for guitar reference(or headphones if you like, I don't), and a set of monitors from my soundcard, stock from Dell-SoundMax I believe, for playback during recording and just to listen. Works great. Vocals would require a sightly different set up. Guitar Rig sounds awesome as does Amplitube but they are pricey. You can check out my jam under the user showcase "my first mixcraft attempt" All Line 6 and Drums on Demand loops. Good luck pal!
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Bryan,
Do not send your guitar into the sound card without a preamp, it sounds like crap. You need a pre amp to raise the guitar signal which is measured in millivolts, up to a line level signal which is about 1volt peak to peak.

The line 6 device and all kinds of pedals that have active circuitry and a true bypass can act as a preamp. A tube preamp just adds a nice warmth to the signal. I have a solid state pre amp in my M-Audio firewire solo external sound card but it does not sound as good as my tube preamp.

I use a hand made stereo guitar tube amp. The project is listed on my web site here. It's the All tube Stereo guitar pre amp project about half way down the page.
http://www.el34world.com/schematics.htm

Here's a ton of sound clip s I have done with that preamp and Guitar Rig
http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Music/music1.htm
bryan9696

Post by bryan9696 »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll check them out.

Ummm, how do I find the "user showcase"? . . .
EL34

Post by EL34 »

You are in the Mixcraft board.
Go back to the main acoustica forum index.
There are lots of other boards.
bryan9696

Post by bryan9696 »

Thanks.
bryan9696

Post by bryan9696 »

bigalrocks65 wrote:Hello Bro, listen I use Line 6 Toneport, the $69 small unit, and I get great tones! It's a simple, small USB interface and it works flawlessly. Amp Farm is a Line 6 program for Pro Tools. This uses GearBox and comes with a very hardy selection of sims. Like anything else, tones are user defined. I have not had ANY latency issues and not have had to figure out ASIO or even look into it. Install Toneport, follow directions, plug in and go! You can use it before the Mixcraft DAW, as a plug in, or just to jam. I connect a set of monitors to the Toneport for guitar reference(or headphones if you like, I don't), and a set of monitors from my soundcard, stock from Dell-SoundMax I believe, for playback during recording and just to listen. Works great. Vocals would require a sightly different set up. Guitar Rig sounds awesome as does Amplitube but they are pricey. You can check out my jam under the user showcase "my first mixcraft attempt" All Line 6 and Drums on Demand loops. Good luck pal!
Big Al (or anyone else who might know) - How does the Tone Port differ from the Guitar Port? Is the Tone Port compatible with Vista? Thanks for the tip.
bigalrocks65

Post by bigalrocks65 »

Yo bro, rather than explain here, just go to the Line 6 website. You don't want the Guitar Port for recording. Toneport is the way to go for direct to computer recording. Of course most Line 6 stuff can. This is my first time using any Line 6 gear and to be honest, I think this part of it rules. I'm an older tube amp guy and still use em' live. But for home recording on the cheap, this stuff rocks. It doesn't tax my cpu that much either. Thx.