Mastering Final Backing Tracks?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

stemccabe

Mastering Final Backing Tracks?

Post by stemccabe »

Hi peeps,

I've just had some tracks professionally recorded and they are on their way to be mastered. I have an interactive live performance with visuals, pre-recorded (Mixcraft) music and vocals, and I'm a little confused about something. I have taken the same final track mixes without vocals to use as backing tracks, and the guys who I recorded with recommended getting the instrumentals mastered in the same way as the mixes before using them live. I've never mastered tracks before for live performances (I usually just use the final, pre-mastered mixes) and the mixes have always sounded great - so, is this really necessary? I'm really thinking about costs at the moment - you know the score with costs as a DIY musician! If I need to pay for them then I will but I'm just curious to see if it's really a big deal or not.

I'm not a techy person whatsoever, so bear this in mind with answers (ie speak to me like I'm a technical idiot, and then I'll probably understand). Cheers!

Ste.
aj113

Re: Mastering Final Backing Tracks?

Post by aj113 »

stemccabe wrote:...so, is this really necessary?...
No
Khaos Hellatron

Re: Mastering Final Backing Tracks?

Post by Khaos Hellatron »

Well, if the mix sounded great and at par with commercial ones, it's really not necessary.

But, if you choose to have it mastered, what you could do is print them as stems so you could tell the mastering engineer what you'd want out of it.
Win7 x64 | AMD A8 6600K Quad [3.9GHz] | G.Skill RipjawsX RAM [8GHz] | NI Komplete Audio 6 | Mackie CR4 | KRK KNS 6400 | Superlux HD661 | Sennheiser MX 400 II