A Question of Workflow ?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

MeanMrMustard

A Question of Workflow ?

Post by MeanMrMustard »

When it comes to drum and keyboard tracks I prefer to work in sections or patterns. Similar to EZDrummer 2 and many other popular apps. I can't though seem to find how this is done in Mixcraft. Is it that Mixcraft just doesn't offer this type of workflow ? And if so, I'm curious as to how others here get around this ?

I did notice that you can write a drum measure in the step editor and then drag it to the Performance window. But I can't seem to get it to play consecutively from one drum section to the next. (set1 > set2 > set3 > set4) It just plays the same measure over and over. Unless you select each and every measure manually.

You could also drag each measure to the timeline, however if you want to make a minor change in one or more (which is the very essence of song writing) you would have to hunt each instance down to make the changes. Which is very unnecessary and time consuming .

If you also work in this similar fashion, how do you go about writing/correcting your tracks ?

I do very much like working with Mixcraft but I find this to be very problematic. With sales of EZDrummer, EZKeys and DAWS like FLStudio I would say this is a rather common way for musicians to work. I do hope the folks at Acoustica address this soon.

MMM
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: A Question of Workflow ?

Post by Acoustica Eric »

It's easier than you think, and you're looking in the wrong places :-)
Just double click inside a virtual track to create a new, blank midi clip.
Then go to the piano roll and enter your notes.
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

Acoustica Eric wrote:It's easier than you think, and you're looking in the wrong places :-)
Just double click inside a virtual track to create a new, blank midi clip.
Then go to the piano roll and enter your notes.

Thanks for jumping in Eric.

I think you're talking about creating one singular midi clip. I was referring to putting together the total song structure. For example, once each midi clip (intro, verse 1, verse 2, chorus, outro, ect) is written, I don't see a simple and easy way to put this all together. I could write each midi clip as you described and chain them along the time line but once you need to go in and make changes you have to hunt down each individual instance of that midi clip and change each one. Which is very tedious and time consuming. Only to repeat the process until you are satisfied with the results.

Is there a better way to go about this ?

I thought the Performance window would work but I don't see how you could automate this to play consecutively from one section to the next. (set1 > set2 > set3 > set4)

Is there an instructional video available that explains song structure for Mixcraft ?

MMM
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

In some DAWs, you can make copies of a clip that are updated automatically whenever the original is updated. Is this what you are talking about?

If so, then I haven't learned how you can do it in Mixcraft.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

MeanMrMustard wrote:...however if you want to make a minor change in one or more (which is the very essence of song writing) you would have to hunt each instance down to make the changes...
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, hunting each instance down is part of the process anyway, otherwise how would you know where you wanted to make the changes? i.e., since you know exactly where you want to make changes, then you must have already hunted down the specific instance. Just click on it and edit in the sound tab.
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

aj113 wrote:
MeanMrMustard wrote:...however if you want to make a minor change in one or more (which is the very essence of song writing) you would have to hunt each instance down to make the changes...
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, hunting each instance down is part of the process anyway, otherwise how would you know where you wanted to make the changes? i.e., since you know exactly where you want to make changes, then you must have already hunted down the specific instance. Just click on it and edit in the sound tab.

Well first of all, there will usually be more than one instance. If you want to work on the verse for example there will be multiple instances you will need to edit. You'll have to find each instance along the time line, edit it, listen, then re-edit each instance. Until you arrive at what you want. It's all a question of linear vs pattern.

As rrichard63 has already said -
In some DAWs, you can make copies of a clip that are updated automatically whenever the original is updated
-

In FLStudio for example if you want to make changes to a certain section you simply edit that pattern and it will update all instances for you. Since Mixcraft is linear you have to find each and every instance of that section along the time line and edit each one. This is obviously much slower and tedious. Even better, you can have multiple versions of a section written and just audition each one by dropping them in and out. Whereas in Mixcraft you'd have to continually keep re-editing each part. Unless there is a better way I'm not aware of ?

Actually there was never an instructional video made of this process. I think that would be very helpful to have this and the whole concept of song structure in Mixcraft explained.

Here is a free program that uses a similar paradigm. Try it out and you'll understand better what we are referring to.

http://hydrogen-music.org/hcms/node/6

MMM
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

rrichard63 wrote:In some DAWs, you can make copies of a clip that are updated automatically whenever the original is updated. Is this what you are talking about?

If so, then I haven't learned how you can do it in Mixcraft.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. I suppose each DAW has their own take, but DAWs that offer that functionality are basically somewhat similar.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

MeanMrMustard wrote:...Well first of all, there will usually be more than one instance. If you want to work on the verse for example there will be multiple instances you will need to edit. You'll have to find each instance along the time line, edit it, listen, then re-edit each instance. Until you arrive at what you want. It's all a question of linear vs pattern. ..
Ok, understood No, there is no way of doing it in MC but here's how I would 'force' MC to do it.

Use a separate track for each pattern and place all the tracks in a subgroup. Any required FX and processing can be added to the subgroup rather than the individual tracks.

Now you can see that it is already easier to search for the part you want to edit, because all the parts are instantly visible, but you could make the process almost automatic by making the pattern include the necessary number of bars' silence before the pattern is repeated.Then simply grab the right edge of the clip and pull to the right to loop it. Now when you change any instance of the pattern you will change all other instances.
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

aj113 wrote:
MeanMrMustard wrote: ... you could make the process almost automatic by making the pattern include the necessary number of bars' silence before the pattern is repeated.Then simply grab the right edge of the clip and pull to the right to loop it. Now when you change any instance of the pattern you will change all other instances.
Thank you, this is very helpful. First, apparently I was wrong when I wrote that Mixcraft can't do this. Now I know how. Second, it's good to know there's a workaround for MeanMrMustard's situation -- even if it means that your project ends up having a lot of tracks.
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

aj113 wrote:Ok, understood No, there is no way of doing it in MC but here's how I would 'force' MC to do it.

Use a separate track for each pattern and place all the tracks in a subgroup. Any required FX and processing can be added to the subgroup rather than the individual tracks.

Now you can see that it is already easier to search for the part you want to edit, because all the parts are instantly visible, but you could make the process almost automatic by making the pattern include the necessary number of bars' silence before the pattern is repeated.Then simply grab the right edge of the clip and pull to the right to loop it. Now when you change any instance of the pattern you will change all other instances.

I have to agree with rrichard63, that is an excellent idea. Though having so many tracks could be a problem, but until Acoustica addresses this and comes up with a solution for us it is definitely the best workaround at the moment.

Thank you AJ113 !!
aj113

Post by aj113 »

You're both welcome. Yes, it's a drag having to revert to multiple tracks in a subgroup, but I think it's the best that MC has to offer currently.