Coming from Sonar

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Coming from Sonar

Post by Mark Bliss »

Welcome.

Let us know if you have any questions or if we can help with your transition.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
FluxCobalt

Post by FluxCobalt »

I too am coming from SONAR. Now that Cakewalk has stopped supporting their software I am looking at this and two other DAW's. I love Cakewalk and it has been the only DAW I have used for the last 10 years but with them announcing that they are no longer going to support their software I fear that there may be issues with there DRM. If there servers go off-line we won't be able to register when installing on a new computer.

When purchasing Mixcraft, is it a one time fee or is it subscription based? Does it support 3rd party VST2 and VST3? Does it support MIDI file Import?

Out of the 3 DAW'S I am leaning towards Mixcraft. I'm sure I will have other questions but for now any information will help.

Thank you for any help.

Flux
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hello and welcome

Mixcraft is not subscription based. Updates are free and upgrades (IE: when Mixcraft 9 comes along for example) are very reasonably priced. Support is excellent.

Yes it supports third party VST2 and VST3, though to be fair- there have been some issues with VST3 which appears to be happening with all DAW's. Some is the fault of the third party publishers, and some may be with the DAW's themselves. I can assure you that the Mixcraft team is looking into and working on all known related issues.

And yes, you can import MIDI.

Here is some more general info: https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

A feature comparison: https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/mixc ... chart.html

The best way to evaluate is to download the free trial (Recording Studio version): https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/download.php

Also, be aware that the Pro Studio version is on sale at a price you may regret missing.......

Let us know if we can help!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
FluxCobalt

Post by FluxCobalt »

One last question. I noticed that the Pro version comes with Melodyne. I don't use Melodyne so is there an option to not install it. The info I read said that you need to be connected to the Internet to register Melodyne. Will I be able to install Mixcraft Pro with out registering Melodyne? Are 32 bit vst's bridged for 64 bit?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes, you can opt not to install Melodyne while running the Mixcraft installer. I also assume you could let it install and not register. (Either way, if you change your mind- reinstalls are no sweat.)

And yes, 32 bit plug ins will run in the 64 bit host.
Note that as with all DAW's, the bridge function does consume some resources and using many instances can lead to issues for some users.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
FluxCobalt

Post by FluxCobalt »

Thank you for your help Mark. I think I might be buying Mixcraft Pro.