Inserting Extra Bars Gives Me Trouble

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Inserting Extra Bars Gives Me Trouble

Post by gmpolin »

I often have to insert bars into a well-developed song, with lots of tracks and instruments.

Rarely does the process go smoothly. Usually, I spend hours trying to clean everything up and get everything ready to just go work on the new bars.

So I think I must be doing something wrong. I highlight the bars after the insertion point, and then use the arrow keys to move everything to the right. Rarely does this work smoothly. The main things that go wrong are.

(1) It seems like some individual elements get misaligned during the move. I am not sure how.

(2) Some elements get picked up and moved that I don't want (an audio clip that has a tiny trailing edge...a fading vocal, or a vocal just not clipped at the bar marker) gets moved instead of left alone.

(3) I think I have done all the tracks, but I see that I missed the bottom track or some track in the middle if I try to do it in pieces.

(4) Some instruments (Ez Drummer) have to be edited since they have their own internal track number references.

As I write this, it seems crazy; after all, it should all just drag to the right and be done.

Is there some trick to doing this on a complex project with 30 or so tracks and many instruments? If you are a fellow sufferer, is there a solution, even one outside of Mixcraft?

Thanks for any help.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Re: Inserting Extra Bars Gives Me Trouble

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You should be using the "Insert Time" feature. Check out this video: Inserting and Removing Time in Mixcraft.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

I watched the video; does that work to insert in the middle of the project? And deal with the things I mentioned such as elements that are start ahead of the bar?

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can do it at any point. Mind your snap settings, of course. It just splits anything on the tracks and moves the right side over, including automation, etc.

Give it a try! Ctrl+Z is your friend.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

Don't know if this helps or if you already know but here it is anyway. You don't have to be 100% accurate placing together or inserting clips, I split the track to demonstrate but left a small space as if I had placed 3 separate clips or inserted one in the middle. Highlight the clips then from the edit menu select "remove spaces between clips" or "merge" and Mixcraft will do the rest. "Remove spaces" still lets you move the clips but "merge" puts them together as a single clip.
merge.PNG
merge.PNG (16.13 KiB) Viewed 2423 times