Tascam US16x08 latency issues.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Glaw

Tascam US16x08 latency issues.

Post by Glaw »

I'm using a Tascam US16x08 interface with Mixcraft ProStudio 8, 12gb RAM, 1.80GHz on Windows 10.
Yes, I use it's ASIO driver and it also comes with it's own software, where I have to set the buffer settings and some other routing configuration.

I'll try my best to explain the problem, since english is not my primary language:

I open Mixcraft, go into settings and choose the ASIO driver. Here, I can't change the buffer size because the US16x08 software is the one that controls it. Now I have set the buffer size on the software to 256 and clicked "Ok" on Mixcraft settings to start recording. I set up a few tracks for recording and use Mixcraft's monitoring. Everything works well so far, no latency (at least nothing noticeable). I then start recording and after a few seconds (a couple of bars later) latency starts increasings rapidly (up to 1 sec or so). Not good, right?
I then go back into Mixcraft's preferences and just "Ok" again and latency is gone, until I start recording again, that is.

My theory is, Mixcraft is somehow "detaching" itself from the US16x08's software (the one that controls the buffer size).

Also, I can use hardware monitoring (which I also set in the interface's software routing options) which is fine for recording, as I'm hearing what I play in real time, before it even goes into the computer. Now, after I record something and play it back, there it is, the tracks are off, thanks to the latency. Not good.

I can reset the buffer size just by going into Mixcraft's preferences and clicking Ok, but after a few seconds of recording, latency is back.

Thanks for reading my post and thank you in advance if you have any solution or suggestion.
GovernmentMule

Re: Tascam US16x08 latency issues.

Post by GovernmentMule »

Maybe there is some other audio device changing settings in the background on your system.

Check out this article here about windows audio exclusive mode:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... references

And changing settings here:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... io-device-

Might not help but will not hurt checking each setting.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Instead of 256 try 512

M
Glaw

Post by Glaw »

GovernmentMule wrote:Maybe there is some other audio device changing settings in the background on your system.

Check out this article here about windows audio exclusive mode:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... references

And changing settings here:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... io-device-

Might not help but will not hurt checking each setting.
Thank you for your response man, I'll try that later when I go to my studio.

Also thank you Rolling Estonian, but I have tried on all buffer size options, and nothing changed.
Glaw

Post by Glaw »

It didn't work. If I do it, I get no sound from armed tracks. THanks anyway.

Any other possible solution?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Glaw wrote:It didn't work. If I do it, I get no sound from armed tracks. THanks anyway.

Any other possible solution?
Hi,

You can click "Open Mixer" in Mixcraft's sound device preferences to bring up the audio driver interface for your Tascam. Set the buffer size there. You should notice a difference when you change the buffer size. Really large buffer sizes would have high latency. In other words, there would be a longer delay between when audio enters the computer and when you hear it. If you set the buffer really low, you'll have a shorter delay, but you can have skips or gaps in the audio when you play it - if the buffers are set too low.

When you talk about latency, are you talking about the delay in hearing the audio? I've never heard of it increasing as time goes on.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Glaw

Post by Glaw »

Hi, thanks for your response Greg!

Yes, I'm well aware of what latency is. And yes, it increases (to a limit). I always have the Tascam Audio Interface (mixer) open, with the buffer size set to a number. For example, I press the recording button on my bass track with monitor activated, the first 6-8 secs it's fine, I hear no latency, however, after the first 10 secs of recording I start getting more and more latency until it reaches a limit. Then, I have to hit preferences again and click "Ok". This simply restarts the buffer size and again, there's no latency.

I have two other interfaces and have no latency problems with them, so maybe the Tascam is defective? Has anyone used it with Mixcraft?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What if you don't keep the Tascam interface open all the time?

Do you have the latest drivers from Tascam's web page installed?

Greg
Glaw

Post by Glaw »

I had my drivers up to date. I ended up returning the Tascam US16x08 and now I'm using the Focusrite 18i20 with no problems at all.

The Tascam was either no compatible with Mixcraft or just defective.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to let us know how you resolved the problem.

Greg
Dietrichs

Post by Dietrichs »

Hi, guys! At First - Sorry for my english)
I've got us16x08 a few months ago. All the same shit!
Opening project, click monitoring and every thing going all right for a minute and then happens some noise and latency begins to grow up.
I tried it on four computers with every DAW: Studio one 2 & 3, Cubase, Sonar, Abletone and else.
I tried all vertions of drivers and settings. Only on one computer and with Ableton it runs normaly, I dont know why. May be I don't try hard).
So, the problem is still there!
Now I'm waiting for an answer from distributor.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Dietrichs wrote:Hi, guys! At First - Sorry for my english)
I've got us16x08 a few months ago. All the same shit!
Opening project, click monitoring and every thing going all right for a minute and then happens some noise and latency begins to grow up.
I tried it on four computers with every DAW: Studio one 2 & 3, Cubase, Sonar, Abletone and else.
I tried all vertions of drivers and settings. Only on one computer and with Ableton it runs normaly, I dont know why. May be I don't try hard).
So, the problem is still there!
Now I'm waiting for an answer from distributor.
Hi,

Are you using Mixcraft v8.1 build 412? If so, try selecting the option in ASIO sound device preferences called "Use Device's Preferred Settings." Restart Mixcraft and see if that helps.

Greg
Dietrichs

Post by Dietrichs »

Thank's Greg! But I don't use Mixcraft))

I'm talking that every DAW has the same troubles whith 16x08!

Look here! How I fix It! (only two days of trying so I can't speak that it is 100%, but works!)
ASIO4ALL))) It's so simple but it is! Just turn buffer sise in asio4all to any value exept 64! & you will have normal latency with stable performance.

And some more: maybe it's not essential, but for one of my computers I had to reinstall the OS from win7 to win8.

Answer, if it helps)
matchu

Post by matchu »

if it makes you feel better, im having the same problem

I tried asio4all and it crashes my computer. I will have to get a different I/O box.
I think Tascam is just garbage.