(Solved) MC8 playing back the wrong midi notes (i.e. not those shown in the piano roll)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

lingyai

(Solved) MC8 playing back the wrong midi notes (i.e. not those shown in the piano roll)

Post by lingyai »

[Update: Mick's suggestion fixed the problem. I do however wonder at the end of the thread whether there is something perhaps buggy which would permit the piano roll to say the wrong note is being played. ]
----------------------
[Original post]
Hi,

I hope there is a simple fix for this as it's pretty fundamental ...

A simple midi track in an ongoing project in Mixcraft sounded fine last night when I played it. I closed and saved it. Today, I opened it, pressed play, and it plays the wrong notes, even though the correct notes are shown being played in the piano roll.

Strange, because the correct notes do play when I click the keys in the vertical keybed of the piano roll view, and also when I play through a normal midi keyboard. I know they are correct by ear, and also because the correct keys are shown being pressed in the virtual keyboard GUI of my VSTi in this case, which is Kontakt.

But when MC plays them back after I press play, they are wrong. Again, I can hear this, and see this when watching the Kontakt keyboard.

I demonstrate this in the this desktop video clip.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbXvoP24mw

(There's a typo in the title, "Wrong midi note played back," it should be "notes")

Other midi tracks in the project play do correctly. This seems random. For the life of me I can't see why this would be.

Can someone advise? In any track, notes played and appearing in the piano roll should be the notes which are sent to an instrument and heard. If they don't, it's hard to compose with midi!
Last edited by lingyai on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick

Re: MC8 playing back the wrong midi notes (i.e. not those shown in the piano roll)

Post by mick »

There are 8 semitones difference in the error, it could be a corrupt track for reasons unknown or you could check there are no transpose instructions in the sound tab, also click "mix" and scroll down to "re-set all" and see if that works.
lingyai

Re: MC8 playing back the wrong midi notes (i.e. not those shown in the piano roll)

Post by lingyai »

mick wrote:There are 8 semitones difference in the error, it could be a corrupt track for reasons unknown or you could check there are no transpose instructions in the sound tab, also click "mix" and scroll down to "re-set all" and see if that works.
You nailed it, Mick. For some reason, this track was set to A major when it should have been set to F major Setting it to F major fixed the problem, all plays back as it should. Thanks very much, I'm relieved this has an easy fix.

The mixed key might well have been pilot error, I'm not sure, I've been introducing myself to Mixcraft over around 15 hours now on one project, I've done a lot of clicking around, might have stepped on a rake somewhere without realising it at the time.

Having said that, shouldn't the notes displayed on the piano roll always reflect their actual output (after taking into account any transposition instructions)? It was really disorienting to watch a piano roll tell me it was playing X when I could hear (and see on the Kontakt gui keyboard) that it was actually Y. Is this a bug, or am I (entirely possibly) missing some nuance?

Anyway, thanks again.
mick

Re: (Solved) MC8 playing back the wrong midi notes (i.e. not those shown in the piano roll)

Post by mick »

lingyai, it isn't a bug its just the way things work, you have to make sure all the highlighted boxes match, maybe there's a different way that I don't know of or a video Acoustica can point a finger to. The white bands represent the scale notes, you will see them change if you change key and hit enter. Glad you got it fixed.
lingyai

Re: (Solved) MC8 playing back the wrong midi notes (i.e. not those shown in the piano roll)

Post by lingyai »

mick wrote:lingyai, it isn't a bug its just the way things work, you have to make sure all the highlighted boxes match, maybe there's a different way that I don't know of or a video Acoustica can point a finger to. The white bands represent the scale notes, you will see them change if you change key and hit enter. Glad you got it fixed.
Clear, thanks again.
mick

Post by mick »

Forgot to show this pic of highlighted boxes!
scale.PNG
scale.PNG (134.43 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Thanks mick, I'd figured it out from your description

Where's the older but wiser emoji?