Mixing out of the box

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

joanmale

Mixing out of the box

Post by joanmale »

I will like to know your (expert) opinion about this. Some people say that mixing in the same DAW and rendering audio it's not the same than mixing outside in a mixing desk (analog or digital) in separate channels and external FX. What do you think at acoustica?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixing out of the box

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I agree, it's not he same. :wink:

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rski

Post by Rski »

From what I read on mixing outside the DAW vs mixing inside DAW can be an inconclusive argument. Old school season studio sound engineers, most will attest that the console is better, period. Of course if your in a profession studio with loads of high end equipment, SSL or Neve boards with racks full of must have analogue compressors, yes a better mix can be done.

Although I read this argument pertaining to current professionals with todays recent hits, most of them mix inside the DAW, why?

These days with more computer horse power, the refinement of sound modules (sound converters chips) and improved plug ins along with other digital manipulating wonders, they get their professional mix to market. Look at the reality these days, most music is streamed via some bit reduction, MP3, AVV or other formats that music lovers listen to.

I mix inside the box, its the technique and the learning the yields a better mix.
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Greg
Best answer ! :D

Rski is right about the method: If you have serious hardware gear and no plugs, go outside. But with a bunch of good plugs, do it ITB.
Some may says that external summing makes the difference. In some cases, it could be true, all depend on your base material (lots of miked tracks acoustic jazz session or dance music with a bunch of VSTis).
Having tested both method (yes I'm that old:) I do everything now in the box, even for full acoustic tracks.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Greg
Greg speaks the truth. He works for Acoustica.

I have been recording music both in studios and at home for 35 years and can attest to the truth of his statement.

Other things that are similarly dissimilar:

Recording guitar using an amplifier and miking it up vs. going direct and using modeling
Tracking vocals into an external compressor vs. going straight into the preamp and compressing later
Using live drums vs. loops
Using external hardware processors vs. software plug-ins
Using hardware synths vs. VSTi's
Using acoustic instruments vs. modeled or sampled instruments
Using a fancy external tube mic preamp vs. the preamp in your interface
Mastering to tape vs. in the box
Recording at 88.2 vs. recording at 44.1
-Erik
joanmale

Post by joanmale »

Ok, i see.
For me it is not a question VST vs Analog, i supose that with good equipment and knowledge will be better in a Neve, analog compressors etc..
In my little studio, the question is that the way it mix and render the audio inside DAW is not as as good as when you mix in a, lets say, 2000€ mixer, even if you use VST inside the DAW tracks (for example compressors or tube preamps), i just purchased and allen heath qu24 and my idea is to mix outside, but it is not the main reason i bought it, is because uis better for recording, has more channels, and i will work in a upper sample rate and bits, than what i had, and maybe i can do live sets some day having the tracks outside (don't like controllers).
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Putting all of the "better sound" arguments aside, the two other advantages associated with using a console:

-- I/O flexibility. For example, if you record a lot of live groups, it's a breeze to manage and call-up separate headphone mixes on a modern console. That sort of thing.

-- The ability to feel the faders beneath their fingers. The tactile experience.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Since you already have the hardware to do it, is what you are asking is it worth it to try?

Sure, if you have the time and energy. Let us know what your conclusions are.

At this point, many great-sounding records have been created using each method.

Me, I don't have the equipment, nor do I have the time nor the engergy. I may at some future time. I'm still learning with what I have.
-Erik
joanmale

Post by joanmale »

Well.. I mixed out of the box, frist thing is that the limited amount of, for example, reverbs of the mixer, they are good, but don't have the impression to be better than a good vst reverb.
The mixes sounded a bit "digital" to me, dont ask me what, or how, but is just an impression, maybe there is another word to define this, since when you mix in the box it's also digital.
My conclusion at the moment is that i'm very happy to have all my stuff connected and ready, when you put the tracks to record in mixcraft, you don't see that low noise meter on, recordings are more neat and clear, and easy to select the track and record.
The feeling is good to mix outside, the meters, sends, returns etc.. but i''m still thinking in which will be better of both options.