Midi note error in Mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

Midi note error in Mixcraft

Post by Ianpb »

I've noticed something wrong with the midi note numbers in that moving up by a semitone from B2 indicates C3, when it should be C2, and moving up a semitone from B3 jumps to C4. The same error occurs when moving up a semitone from B4, which shows up as C5, when it should be C4. This error occurs whenever a move up by a semitone is made from B to C - in any octave.

The octave numbering is all wrong, which would explain why the octave numbers in Mixcraft never conform to those of instrument plugins such as drum software. This has been the source of much confusion to me in Mixcraft versions 7 and 8.
skarabee

Re: Midi note error in Mixcraft

Post by skarabee »

C1>B1 then C2>B2 then C3>B3, and so on.
What's wrong with it? It has always been this way in every DAW.
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

Ianpb wrote:I've noticed something wrong with the midi note numbers in that moving up by a semitone from B2 indicates C3, when it should be C2, and moving up a semitone from B3 jumps to C4. ...
That's correct. Each octave begins on C and ends on B. So the next C above each B is numbered with the next octave number.
Ianpb wrote:I ... The octave numbering is all wrong, which would explain why the octave numbers in Mixcraft never conform to those of instrument plugins such as drum software. This has been the source of much confusion to me in Mixcraft versions 7 and 8.
The problem of octaves being numbered differently in different places plagues all music software. By convention, MIDI note number 0 is C-2 ("C minus 2"). By a different convention, in common use outside the MIDI world, the same pitch (approximately 8.2 cycles per second) is called C-1 ("C minus 1"). See this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation

for more on pitch notation.

This confuses me all the time. We just have to live with it.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Okay. As every other instrument plugin I've used appears to be working to a different standard, I assumed it to be Mixcraft that was out of kilter. Que sera, sera.