Drum MIDI Exports As Piano?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ZebulaJams

Drum MIDI Exports As Piano?

Post by ZebulaJams »

Hello,

I'm trying to save a new file that I've created using MIDI drums, piano etc. But every time I save the file and play it back, like in Windows Media Player, the drum track plays as piano. I've attached a picture of the drum track as well as the MIDI file once it is exported.

Is there not a way to keep the sound of the drums when exporting as MIDI in Mixcraft?
Attachments
Pic.png
Pic.png (137.45 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
Medium Midi Test.mid
(9 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
davefk

Re: Drum MIDI Exports As Piano?

Post by davefk »

Highlight (select) all you midi drum notes, then right click and go to 'Note MIDI Channel' then change the channel for the notes to channel 10. You have the drum track channel set to 5 and midi drums need to be on channel 10 for a standard GM midi file.

That should work for you...
Attachments
Midi Note Channel.jpg
Midi Note Channel.jpg (638.17 KiB) Viewed 9037 times
comedians

Post by comedians »

Hi

Have you set the drum track to Channel 10 ?

Select the Drum track then go to Piano Roll. Select all Notes (Ctrl-A),all events of the drum track should be highlighted.
Open drop down event list (most often the label defaults to Velocity on) and you will see Program change, Bank Select etc. etc . Change the Channel of the events to "10" (because all Notes are selected, by changing one Event, all the other events should be changed as well).

I'm no way an expert on Midi but as far as I am aware that's where your issue is.

These links on the forum my help
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=20837
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 15#p102047
ZebulaJams

Post by ZebulaJams »

Hi,

I've changed it to 10 a couple times in the past because I found people talking about it elsewhere, but that doesn't change anything. It still comes out the exact same as the MIDI I posted here :/

I'm starting to think that Mixcraft 7 Pro is unable to do so.

Any other ideas?
davefk

Post by davefk »

ZebulaJams wrote:Hi,

I've changed it to 10 a couple times in the past because I found people talking about it elsewhere, but that doesn't change anything. It still comes out the exact same as the MIDI I posted here :/

Any other ideas?
OK here is the problem. You need to choose a drum instrument for your drum track (Drum Machine Kit 1) at present you have it set to an instrument called 'Stereo Grand'. Select any drum instrument such as '128:0 Standard Kit', change the midi channel of the notes to 10, and then save out your file as a midi file again, and it WILL work. Open the attachment ('Drum Test.mid') in this post into Mixcraft (just open it as you would any other project) and look at the drum track instrument. :D

You can even just open the attachment in 'Windows Media Player' to hear it for yourself.
Attachments
Drums.jpg
Drums.jpg (237.99 KiB) Viewed 9017 times
Drum Test.mid
(9 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
ZebulaJams

Post by ZebulaJams »

davefk wrote:
ZebulaJams wrote:Hi,

Any other ideas?
OK here is the problem. You need to choose a drum instrument for your drum track (Drum Machine Kit 1) at present you have it set to an instrument called 'Stereo Grand'. Select any drum instrument such as 128:0 Standard Kit, change the midi channel of the notes to 10, and then save out your file as a midi file again, and it WILL work. Open the attachment (Drum Test.mid) in this post into Mixcraft (just open it as you would any other project) and look at the drum track instrument. :D

Here is a picture of my track with the drum track selected. It's been selected like that since my first post here. So I do have a drum instrument selected for my drum track, the MIDI channel is set to 10, but it still exports as a piano. I also checked my instrument library and I don't even have a "Stereo Grand".

Perhaps the problem is not the track, but am I supposed to be clicking File>Save as MIDI File...>?
Attachments
pic 3.png
pic 3.png (470.17 KiB) Viewed 9016 times
New pic.png
New pic.png (483.05 KiB) Viewed 9017 times
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

You're using a drum machine kit, have you try saving using the drums from Mixcraft?
I saved a piano and a drum track from Mixcraft instruments, and it open as a drum.
ZebulaJams

Post by ZebulaJams »

banzailoco wrote:You're using a drum machine kit, have you try saving using the drums from Mixcraft?
I saved a piano and a drum track from Mixcraft instruments, and it open as a drum.
The Drum Machine Kit is one of the VSTs that came with Mixcraft 7 Pro. It wasn't a third party software I installed. That's a drum kit from Mixcraft. I tried changing it to "Studio Kit" but it still comes out as a piano.
ZebulaJams

Post by ZebulaJams »

Wait...

I just tried to save it using the "Standard Kit 1" preset instead of the "Drum Kit Machine 1" preset... It works...

That's great and all.. but I don't understand why it has to be a certain drum kit.. They're even categorized under the same instrument legend.

Oh well. I guess it works now!
davefk

Post by davefk »

ZebulaJams wrote:Wait...

I just tried to save it using the "Standard Kit 1" preset instead of the "Drum Kit Machine 1" preset... It works...

That's great and all.. but I don't understand why it has to be a certain drum kit.. They're even categorized under the same instrument legend.

Oh well. I guess it works now!
I think there are only five or six general midi drum kits that can be used in a midifile, third party kits more than likely won't play. I've assumed all along that you wanted to have a midifile as the final product, but if you export your track as a wav or MP3 file, then you can use any kit you like in your project. :D
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

Read the next post :mrgreen:
You found the solution. Changed to 10, 128 Standard and Saved as MIDI File...
8)
Last edited by banzailoco on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZebulaJams

Post by ZebulaJams »

banzailoco wrote:You found the solution. Changed to 10, 128 Standard and Saved as MIDI File...
8)
Everything was the same as I've ever had it, I just had to change the drum kit. Which makes no sense to me since they're all kits from Mixcraft and were classified under the same file. But oh well!
davefk

Post by davefk »

ZebulaJams wrote:
banzailoco wrote:You found the solution. Changed to 10, 128 Standard and Saved as MIDI File...
8)
Everything was the same as I've ever had it, I just had to change the drum kit. Which makes no sense to me since they're all kits from Mixcraft and were classified under the same file. But oh well!
Just to give you a little info, as I understand the frustration when something you think should work and it doesn't.

The general midi (GM for short) standard was created in the early 80's. This standard was created to include 128 sound such as pianos, flutes etc. And 10 drum kits. The standard is programmed into every computer so that when you play back a midi file on a computer such as a PC, using as music player like WMP or VLC, it will use this standard to create the sounds you hear.

The GM standard uses samples that in the 21st century can be considered poor. The GM standard was superceded by the GS and XG (XG being the Yamaha standard included in thier external synths). There has also been the 'Soundfont,' which is a set of instruments you can download for free, and play back using a Soundfont player. There are hundreds of soundfonts you can download from the web, and the best of these really do sound good, as they use better samples.

These days the GM/GS/XG instruments have been replaced by VST's, although Mixcraft is the only DAW I know of (there might be others) that include a decent set of GM instruments, along with some of their own higher quality instruments such as Studio Drums and a ton of value for money VST's.

The Mixcraft drum sets are not included in the GM standard, that is why when you play back your midi file they don't sound. If you want to hear your music as created in Mixcraft, outside of Mixcraft, then you should export as a wav or mp3.

I hope that helps. :D

https://www.midi.org/specifications/ite ... -sound-set
Last edited by davefk on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
comedians

Post by comedians »

For a simple way to see what is assigned to your midi use Van Basco's player.
http://vanbasco.com/

Better than using WMP, you can at least see some detail what's playing.