Graphics problem with Waves GTR Solo

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Frantiac

Graphics problem with Waves GTR Solo

Post by Frantiac »

On my old system Waves GTR Solo as an insert uses 6-8% CPU but when I open the GUI it jumps to more than 50% and stays there after I close the GUI. Any ideas as to why?

Windows 10 Pro, Intel G41M dual-core processor, 8 GB Ram, ESI Maya 44e soundcard
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO 3rd Gen --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
JonInc

Re: Graphics problem with Waves GTR Solo

Post by JonInc »

I have the full Waves GTR bundle, and just inserted the GTRAmp 2Cab on an audio track.... No problems at all. However, I'm on Windows 8.1 (with latest MC 8 build).

Are you using Waves Central to make sure all of your Waves plugs are up to date? Also, make sure your Waves plugins location has been added to Mixcraft VST plugin directories under Preferences.

Default location for Waveshell 64-bit is C:\Program Files\VstPlugins.
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

Hi JonInc, I don't have the full GTR 3 so I can't do any testing but just in case could you try with the full GTR Tool Rack plugin instead of the individual amp - it has a similar GUI to GTR Solo.

Thanks in advance...
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO 3rd Gen --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Hi, I tested with the GTR Tool Rack plugin (All versions: VST2 and VST3, mono/stereo and stereo), and didn't see anything unusual -- no jump in cpu.

I tested by loading the demo project "The Easy Ones" and inserting the plugin on two different guitars, then opening the plugin GUI.

Did you make sure the Waveshell DLL file was up to date, and that MC is looking at the correct VST folder? Also are you using strictly 32 or 64 bit and not mixing the two?

A re-scan of your VSTs wouldn't hurt as well.
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

Thanks a million - I was using an outdated version of GTR Solo so I've used my WUP and updated to the latest version. Both the Mixcraft & System CPU indicators still register over 50% when the GUI is open but at least now they drop right back to 5% when it's closed. I've also realized that the standalone version does the same so the good news is that it's nothing to do with Mixcraft.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

GUI related issues can sometimes be related to graphics drivers. Do you have the latest Video drivers for your PC?

If you rely on Windows to install them, you should also check the Optional updates because some users ignore these, not realizing that updated hardware drivers are included here.
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

I'm sure you're right - the graphics drivers are the problem. Unfortunately I'm stuck with onboard graphics that last had a driver update for Win7 back in 2012 (I'm now running Win10) and there's no physical space in my PC for a new graphics card. I've also tried updating the driver through device manager but there's nothing available. By the way I don't think optional updates are optional any more - they seem to just install automatically. Anyway, thanks for your help and advice JonInc.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Oh, dang, I was going to say "graphics card."

I am a beta tester and from the time Acoustica first came out with a 64-bit version of Mixcraft, which was 7.0, I could barely get it to behave on 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad system with 6G of RAM.

The 32-bit version went like a bat out of hell, though. Same deal when Mixcraft 8 came out and they optimized the code even more.

I thought, well, my system ain't really cutting edge for 2015, so I'll stick to 32-bit, but then this year my neighbor gave me a nice hand-me-down 3.4GHz i7 system, which I popped 8G of RAM into but used my same ATI Radeon card, who cares, you don't need a lot of GPU for audio work anyway, and WHOOPS, same crappy performance with 64-bit Mixcraft!!

So I dig up an old nVidia card, I mean this thing was an antique, stuck it in there, the Windows 7 Experience told me that it was bogging my whole system down, but I run Mixcraft 64-bit and it hauls ASS! I can crank my Firepods' buffers all the way down as far as they will go and it handles it, with a click or a pop here or there, but no tearing sounds like before.

That's a drag that your system has no room for another video card. No way at all, huh? I bet even the cheapest under $20 nVidia would cure your woes and speed a lot of other things up, too.
-Erik
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

No space at all unfortunately - time for a new PC, although the 32-Bit Mixcraft is working fine apart from that one Waves plugin GUI. No other graphics/audio glitches at all and with only 2.9ms latency.

The 64-Bit Mixcraft was another story - nothing but problems, as you said probably due to the graphics card although bridging the 32-Bit plugins probably didn't help. Out of interest I've put together a list of which of the included plugins are 64-Bit as I couldn't find one anywhere else:

Effects - 32 & 64-Bit:

All Acoustica plugins
EZQ Equalizer
Ferox Tape Emulator
Fusion Field
Melodyne
SideKick6 Sidechain Compressor
Studio Devil Virtual Bass Amp
TB Gate
TB Parametric Equalizer
Time Machine

Effects - 32-Bit only:

Broadcast Multiband Compressor
All Classic Series Plugins
DTC-1 Compressor
Dubmaster Liquid Delay
DUBSHOX Multi-Band Distortion
EU ProMixEQ-10A
FAT+
FSQ1964 Transient Vitaliser
GSnap Pitch Correction
GSXL4070 Parametric Equalizer
GTune Guitar Tuner
Izotope Mastering Essentials
Mid-Side Envelope Follower+
Mid-Side Harmonic Vitalizer+
Mid-Side Stereophase Filter+
ORB7000 Octave Reverb
POD4500 Particle Delay
PSEQ-1 Vacuum Tube Passive EQ
Pultronic Tube EQ
Shred Amp Simulator
Treble Cream
TRW-1 Vacuum Tube Triode Warmer
Twisthead VS-206 Preamp
VBE-1 Vacuum Bass Enhancer
Vocal Zap
Voxengo Amp Simulator
Voxengo Spectrum Analyzer
VTC-1 Vacuum Tube Compressor
VTD-42 Psychedelic Delay
XBass 4000L Bass Enhancer
Zener Limiter LM-2Z

Instruments - 32 & 64 bit:

All Acoustica Instruments
Alpha Sampler
Glass Viper
Journeys
ME80 Version 2
Omni Sampler
Omni Sampler 8 Out
Pianissimo

Instruments - 32-Bit only:

Combo Organ Model F
Combo Organ Model V
Impulse
Kastelheimer Veldberg XD
Lounge Lizard Electric Piano
ME80
Memorymoon
Messiah
MinimogueVA
Renegade
VB3 Organ

Based on this it definitely makes sense to use the recommended 32-Bit Mixcraft if you're relying mainly on the included plugins. Anyway, enough of my ramblings and thanks for your input
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

That is a great list to have, to know which bundled plug-ins are 32-bit only.

I also have a list for you, which is bundled Mixcraft VST's where you can go to the developer's website (or a mirror) and download 64-bit versions if you desire.

I've been bugging Acoustica in the bugbase to update their licensing with these developers to start shipping them with Mixcraft, but I don't know how it's going.

ME-80 ver. 2
Combo V (mirror)
Combo F (mirror)
GSnap
GTune
Voxengo Amp Simulator (now called Boogex)
Voxengo Spectrum Analyzer (or get SPAN instead, it does way more)

I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't have these lists hidden here in this thread, but rather post them at the top level. Will you do this, or may I, with your permission?
-Erik
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

Please do Erik. I also think it's worth suggesting that they could be installed into separate 32-Bit and 64-Bit folders in the future.
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

One more thing: maybe the old Kjaerhus Classic plugins (32-Bit only) could be replaced with the excellent Dead Duck Free Effects Bundle (32 & 64-Bit), especially after reading this about the Kjaerhus developer - although of course it's not the plugins' fault: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... familiefar
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Those old plug ins have been out of production and unsupported for years, and probably, (I cant speak for Acoustica obviously) The only reason they are still included is to maintain backwards compatibility for Mixcraft customers.
You can of course delete them or disable them, and easily install anything you desire.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

Some of the track presets still use the Classic plugins - maybe they should be brought up to date without them. Also, as far as I remember (I'm not in front of Mixcraft right now) the Acoustica delay doesn't have tempo syncing so the Classic delay is the obvious choice - or is there another tempo delay in the plugin arsenal ?