MIDI Clock/sync issue (was Latency)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

joemayer

MIDI Clock/sync issue (was Latency)

Post by joemayer »

So I posted a day or two ago, got a couple of replies which were not helpful to my situation, but I think those were mostly due to my use of the term "latency." My system is not having any kind of sound latency problems, but it does seem to have some kind of a MIDI synchronization problem. When I play a key with my keyboard, the sound is close enough to instantaneous for me to not stress about it, maybe an ms or two off. If I import a MIDI file, it plays back just fine.

My problem comes up when I record MIDI. I arm a track, let the metronome count me in, and start playing. As I play, I can see the yellow cursor flag moving along with the metronome. The notes that show up when I play, however, lag far behind the yellow cursor on the screen, even though they sound fine while I'm playing them. I let the cursor go for, say, four measures, playing quarter notes. As I'm playing, everything sounds fine. But once I hit stop, I have those 16 equal notes all in the first two and a half measures, and I play back what I've just recorded, it plays all the notes on pitch and with no latency, but at a tempo that's about 40 percent faster than the tempo I recorded at.

I'm using a Korg Taktile-49 keyboard, there seems to be no particular software installation for it, MC sees it just fine, but doesn't seem to have any kind of adjustments that I can find for it. I just don't know why it's recording the notes seemingly at a far different pace than I'm playing them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I would really like for this software to work for me.

Thanks!
banzailoco

Re: MIDI Clock/sync issue (was Latency)

Post by banzailoco »

So you know, don't own a midi controller.
Why does your midi controller and Mixcraft don't have the same time info?

Check drivers for your controller. "In Mixcraft go to File -> Preferences -> Sound Device"
"you may need to install the free ASIO4all driver"

What happens when you send and play a midi track from your PC to your keyboard?

When you're recording your midi track, do you record it alone or with other tracks playing?

Does it happen, if you play another instrument?
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

Greg doesn't have a problem recording a midi track in the video. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iA-b0NZIQo
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

"Use system timestamp"
Is not specifically for Mixcraft, but it might help.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... g-problems
joemayer

Post by joemayer »

Thanks, but once again, it's not a sound issue, it's MIDI. ASIO is a sound driver. I'm not using a sequencer that has to be time-stamped to the software, I'm playing it by hand, so having the keyboard "listen" to the MIDI timeclock from the software is not the issue. Still looking for any MIDI driver information in Mixcraft, but the only options seem to be what device to use, not any kind of driver information on it.
joemayer

Post by joemayer »

banzailoco wrote:So you know, don't own a midi controller.
Why does your midi controller and Mixcraft don't have the same time info?

Check drivers for your controller. "In Mixcraft go to File -> Preferences -> Sound Device"
"you may need to install the free ASIO4all driver"
Not a sound device, ASIO4all is already installed in any case.

banzailoco wrote:What happens when you send and play a midi track from your PC to your keyboard?
My keyboard is a controller. There is no "sending" to it, it has no sounds.
banzailoco wrote:When you're recording your midi track, do you record it alone or with other tracks playing?
Both happen the same way. I've deleted all other tracks and tried recording a single track, still lags. Tried importing other MIDI tracks and recorded along, those play fine in tempo, the recording track lags. Ditto with playing along with sound files.
banzailoco wrote:Does it happen, if you play another instrument?
Don't have another instrument, but it should not make a difference, since it's just MIDI data coming through the USB port.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

joemayer wrote:
I'm using a Korg Taktile-49 keyboard, there seems to be no particular software installation for it, MC sees it just fine, but doesn't seem to have any kind of adjustments that I can find for it...
Did you install these drivers? (The software "System updater" and USB-MIDI Driver):

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download ... 47/#driver

Also wouldn't hurt to consult the manual...
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Double-post.
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

Q: Do I have to install the KORG USB-MIDI Driver to use the taktile/TRITON taktile?
A: You can use the taktile/TRITON taktile with the standard USB-MIDI driver included with the OS.
However, we do recommend the use of KORG USB-MIDI Driver, since the standard USB-MIDI driver in Windows won't allow the taktile/TRITON taktile to be used by more than one application or program simultaneously.
Q: Which DAW software does the taktile/TRITON taktile support?
A: Supported titles are as follows:

• Cubase 7
• Ableton Live 9Digital Performer 8
• GarageBand 10
• Logic Pro X
• Pro Tools 10 (except for Pro Tools Express)
• SONAR X2, and other software that accept data from MIDI input
http://www.korg.com/us/products/compute ... le/faq.php

In the video, he changed "In Sync" to get it to work in FL Studio. Maybe, this could also work on Mixcraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPojUQ- ... iSwUIaFpxg
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

If you are going to record and play audio or midi successfully on any DAW like Mixcraft or any other, then you need to have an ASIO driver installed. You need to make sure the ASIO driver is selected in your preferences dialog in Mixcraft and the buffer settings are low 64 - 128 is a good start.

Your assumption that ASIO is only for audio is wrong. You need it for midi instruments too, to both play, record and overdub. Remember that the audio produced by the VST instrument you play with your midi keyboard is also audio. Whilst you can plug in any windows compatible USB keyboard and make a noise without ASIO installed, when you want to mix audio and midi and record, play and overdub with the keyboard, you must have an ASIO driver installed.

If you are going to mix midi instruments and audio together you need the ASIO driver installed.

You must install the ASIO driver for your audio device/sound card. You have not said what your audio device/sound card is.
joemayer

Resolved, somehow. Re: MIDI Clock/sync issue (was Latency)

Post by joemayer »

Well, I don't know precisely what has happened. In the course of trying to find a replacement for Sonar, I have installed several other pieces of software to check, uninstalled all of them as they were either clunky, required far more "under the hood" tweaking than I wanted, or were "fully functional" but then required you to pay more for the real functionality I need.

I've left Mixcraft installed that whole time, because aside from this one issue, it's been the software that has best met my needs. So I rebooted the computer again this morning, which is about the 4th or 5th time since installing Mixcraft, loaded up the software, default new project, armed a MIDI track, and hit record.

And it tracked just fine along with the cursor.

Added quick guitar and bass audio tracks, imported a MIDI drum track, changed another synth from the default acoustic piano to a lightweight 3rd party VSTi, recorded and it tracked just fine. Added two more instrument tracks and set them to use Dimension, one of the Sonar VST instruments I use a lot, recorded again, fine.

Shut down Mixcraft, restarted it, all still recording fine. Restarted the computer, still fine.

So I'm guessing this whole thing was some kind of glitch in the matrix. Haven't changed the drivers, haven't done any significant changes to the settings in Mixcraft, and now even when I change all of those settings pretty much back to default, it still works just fine.

So thank you all for your thoughts and ideas on this, I appreciate it.
Topcheese

Post by Topcheese »

I know I'm a little late, but my first thought was the "cue" setting. It throws me off sometimes when working with the performance grid, but it sounds like you may have a different problem.
Windows 10 build 16299
AMD A8-6410 @ 2GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Sonar V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49
YMMV :roll: :arrow: https://www.reverbnation.com/dirtbom
maynardud2

Post by maynardud2 »

I had the exact problem with mixcraft 7, 8 and 9. Turns out when I hooked my keyboard up I was setting the keyboard (yamaha psr635) to computer. Turns out, to change any settings on keyboard, just plug it in! I just recorded, no lag.
I am talking about midi, I record midi because it's easier to change the instruments.