Does Mixcraft 8 pro work with a touch screen monitor

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dathyr1

Does Mixcraft 8 pro work with a touch screen monitor

Post by dathyr1 »

Hello,

I do not have a touch screen monitor right now, but investigating the possibility of getting one. It would be a fairly large touch screen monitor, maybe 27 inch monitor. i have a PC I7 core, Windows 10, and Mixcraft Pro 8.

Just want to know if a touch screen works with the software? Didnt see any videos on youtube showing this.

if it does work with a touch screen:
Any special settings need to be done to work with Mixcraft?
How smooth does a touch screen work with mixcraft 8 pro, moving faders, etc?

Right now I have a normal 24 inch monitor and will look at all the music software far as simulate(point to) using my fingers to control music software and see how small some of the items are. Would probably still use the mouse for certain things.

Not sure if I will get a touch screen, but just thinking of the idea of doing it.

thank you,
Mark Bliss

Re: Does Mixcraft 8 pro work with a touch screen monitor

Post by Mark Bliss »

The simple answer is pretty much no......
The vast majority of "objects" are too small and there is not really any "fine" control.
A very large screen might make a few controls usable, but based on my tests with a normal sized screen, its not usable.

There are other software/hardware combinations made for touch screen use, but those guys are operating well outside my modest budget. I like my inexpensive DAW and track ball mouse. Big screen is still nice for that though. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

It works, but as MB said, it's small. A 27" screen could make it better and I'm not sure if MC will enlarge if you select Windows Accessibility settings.

I'd like to see MC offer 'scroll control' (when you put your mouse arrow on something and are able to use a wheel as a midi controller) Audient has this with their I/O, it's convenient.

M
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Thanks allot for your replies. I am like you Mark. I am retired and also have to watch where my money goes. I am always checking to see what each piece of music software can do-limit wise.

I will do some checking with my regular 24 inch display what the size of all the controls look like. I know right now I have the screen resolution pretty large to get a large portion of the DAW on the screen, so it makes everything on the screen seem very small. And if I make the screen resolution smaller, then we dont get allot shown on the screen at one time.

I need a monitor about the size I am looking at right now which is my TV at about 40 inches-wide screen to make touch screen really enjoyable. But I dont the mega bucks to flop down for computer based one. My music desktop computer does have an hdmi port that I could hook up to my TV. Screen quality is not that bad. I have my laptop hooked up to it right now for doing admin stuff on it. Of cousre sitting up close to this 40 inch screen would be like sitting in the front row of a movie theater, not to mention the stretches I would have to do to reach the top corners. <hehe> :) Problem is my TV is not Touch screen.

Nice to know though that Mixcraft does talk to a touch screen somewhat.

take care,
Dave

PS: edited- I just brought up a couple youtube videos on Mixcraft on my 40 inch display TV and the controls dont look that bad to access them at that size screen with my fingers. anyway, just thought I would mention that. Cost of something like that I would hate to ask with touch screen capabilities. Bye
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

My 2 cents about touch screens.
Unless you can pick a mulitouch at decent price, forget it.
My studio set up is dual-screen, one on top for the main view of DAWs, and one below, inclined at 45 degrees (arm comfort), for mixers and docks, libraries, plugins. This one is a touchscreen, one point only. I don't use the touch feature anymore. Most of DAWs are not intended to be used with a touch screen, (small picking areas), and when you have your finger hiding a tiny fader head or little knob, good luck to make precise values...
Even if you have a multitouch creen, most DAWs don't allow to point 2 or more faders at the same time.

Better have 2 standard monitors, a wireless trackball and a midi controller with faders, knobs, buttons, pads.

Oh, by the way, happy new year everybody!
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Thank you skarabee for your information. I will probably just stick with my current setup.

I have everything you mentioned at the end of your comments except for a trackball. i have two 24 inch monitors but my computer only uses one main display now for my music. I did try multiple monitors for a little bit and is pretty cool.

Thank you all for sharing what you found out about using Touch Screens.

back to my music, :)

Dave