low/high pass filters

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

w1av

low/high pass filters

Post by w1av »

Hello, I have been using Mixcraft now for almost a year and have produced some EXCELLENT quality music. The interface is very easy to use and I ALWAYS get PERFECT results....I do have some questions about a few effect-related topics.....first, how do you use in the top drop down menu those items called low pass / high pass filters??? They are choices in with volume and panning. I have figured out how to use almost everything with good results except I do not know how to use these effects.
Also down in the effects area there are what seem to be 'mastering' controls...."Master CD" for example? When I am donr with a song, just before I burn it to cd I use Master CD and bring it up where the level is a little hotter than if I dont use it. That 'seems' to "master" the song where it does sound good on CD. One Idea is there should be a TUTORIAL on how to use the effects......any ideas????? Bob
Stef66

Post by Stef66 »

Well as for the mastering effect is concerned, it is really sort of a Compressor/Limiter effect going on, so it adjusts all the volumes of all the sounds of a given track up to a more consistent level, (or more generally of a whole project if applied to the whole project that is), but too much of it and you could get a weird "tube like" kinda sound.

I also think the mastering effect is also nice on a vocal track sometimes!

So you really have to trust your Ears on these IMO.

As for the low/high level pass filters, i'll let the others answer it cause i feel i could also benefit from their answers as well.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The low pass filter cuts off frequencies above a certain level and allows only frequencies below that level through. A high pass filter does the opposite: it allows all the frequencies above the designated frequency through and blocks all the frequencies below the selected frequency. Check the Mixcraft help file for a more detailed description.

Greg
pauldavid

Post by pauldavid »

HI PASS

Say for example, the track you are working on is about to come to a break in the middle, where the beats stop and all you hear is some Ambient sounds / vocal / donkeys making love etc etc ..

A nice effect to do is have the end of the last bar ( say last few kicks and snares of that bar) go into some high pass filter action.

It gives a nice effect of the beats "dissapering" into the next part of the tune.

My dj mixer the Allen and heat 62 has these filters on it, and they sound so sexy when used right.

But to answer your question, to use the high pass on a certain track, do this...........

1. Use the drop down menu to select hi pass cutoff, or whatever its listed as in mixcraft, i forget.

2.Notice the lines that stretch across your tracks are now all the way at the bottom.

3.To apply this affect to the end of for instance 64, right before it goes into a break down. Take your cursor and move the tail end of one of the lines so it starts curving upwards. for now, try just to give it a litlle curve.

4. Next go to the drop down bar again and select high pass resonance, this is what gives the cutoff "its power" and makes it louder and such.
Once again all the lines in your tracks will be at the bottom of your tracks.

5.Go to the same track you gave the curve to, even though you wont be able to see it right now, and then do the same thing with the resonance.

6.Remember that the higher you raise the resonance line, the louder and sharper the effect will be, so only curve it a little right now.

7.Now remember to select back to volume again so you dont forget by accident and adjust high pass when you ment to do volume !!!

Who would be silly enough to do that right ???? :oops: :oops: :roll:

8.Now let it play and listen to what happens, if you are working on say a hip hop track, itll be somthing like this................

boom.....chhhhh.........boom boom.....chhhh..(here comes hi pass!!)

Boom.....ccccchhhchhcchchchchhhhhhhhhhh...b..... b.ccccccccccccchhhh

Catch my drift?

Low pass works in the opisite way, and honestly not many people use that for effects, because its not as pretty as a high pass.
They use that mostly for basslines so they keep the freqs in bassland !!!

If you layer tracks for beats, try having one track maybe the snare play normaly, and then duplicate it, and have the same track run at the same time with a continous high pass.

Have fun.