Getting the VOCALS LOUDER?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

guitbuddy

Getting the VOCALS LOUDER?

Post by guitbuddy »

Hey everybody,

Is there some trick to the volume level of vocals? Also, do the other tracks " suck " the volume
down from other tracks?

Recording the vocals, it seemed they were about right. Meter looking good, etc. In the
headphones, sounded good.

Then on playback, I have to lower ALL the other tracks: bass, drum, etc. to almost nothing, plus INCREASE the VOCAL track to the max, and they still seem way too low.

Plus it makes the mix all weird, too.

confused.

thanks
Mark Bliss

Re: Getting the VOCALS LOUDER?

Post by Mark Bliss »

Its hard to advise without more info.
What are your recording levels? What are your backing tracks?

Guessing, I suspect perhaps you are using drum/bass loops or something from the library? Notoriously too loud.
If so you can expect to turn them WAY down for mixing iMO.

If my guess is wrong- Need more info.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

In addition to what Mark Bliss said, this is one of several reasons why people use compression on vocal tracks. Especially if your drums and bass are already compressed (as they often are).
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

Hey guys,

thanks for replies.

No not using those loops, but will keep in mind.

Yes, I throw compression on there, plus what ever plugin I think will boost them. Maybe my
levels were off. Ill keep trying.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you tried lowering the levels of the other tracks? You just need to balance everything out -- unless the vocals recording level is just way too low.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

Have you tried lowering the levels of the other tracks? You just need to balance everything out -- unless the vocals recording level is just way too low

Hi Greg,

yes, lowered ALL other tracks. So low, it looks ridiculous and hard to even try a mix.
Vocal track all the way up.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It sounds like the recording volume is low, so you need to figure out why that is. Experiment with microphone positioning, distance from the microphone, etc.

Greg
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

If you have a vocal capture that is too low, you can also normalize its clip by selecting the clip and Ctrl+K.

But if you find yourself regularly needing to pull down all the other faders, look at the level of your vocal capture. It should be taking up most of the vertical space in the clip. If it's not, adjust your mixer or recording interface accordingly.
-Erik
Ampfixer

Post by Ampfixer »

Another thing you might try is making room for the vocals in the mix. What I mean is that if everything is panned to centre then you may be getting some masking of the vocals. Try moving some of the instruments away from centre and let the vocals breath a bit. That should help your cause.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

If the OP is saying he cant get a reasonable rough mix with nothing but levels, his recording levels are in need of evaluation. You don't need any compression or "unmasking" or anything else for that. It sounds lake a case of basic gain staging to me, but we don't have the details to know for sure.
Like I asked in my initial reply-what are your levels?

Knowing that would help with giving advise on salvaging the take and/or preventing the problem in the future.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi Guitarbuddy,

Following what Mark and the others have mentioned to you. How many Vocal tracks do you have in the song? How does the Vocal(s) sound by itself and do you have any effects modules on your vocals. Set Vocals up for the volume you want and play just your vocals.

Then-Try bringing in one Inst. track at a time and see what the vocal track does-stay the same, decrease, etc. Dont know how many tracks total you have- if allot?

Are You doing any special bussing or groupings of tracks with your song? As Mark and others say, we need more details on how your song is designed(midi vs audio tracks) and levels of individual tracks.

just throwing out ideas,

Dave
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

hey all,

I have just ONE vocal track in song. But it is from a stereo interface- could that be the problem?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

guitbuddy wrote:hey all,

I have just ONE vocal track in song. But it is from a stereo interface- could that be the problem?
Hi,

You may already be doing this, but when you record from a microphone, you should arm the track on the side that has the sound. In most cases, this would be the left side. Did you do that?

In other words, when you arm the track, don't choose Stereo, choose Left or Right. If you arm for Stereo, you'll end up with the vocals in one ear.

Greg