Mixcraft MIDI is killing me

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ampfixer

Mixcraft MIDI is killing me

Post by Ampfixer »

I don't use it much, but midi is usually pretty simple for me. Not so much in Mixcraft. I'm used to having separate midi and VST tracks and routing the midi notes to the synth I want. I can't figure it out in this DAW.

I imported a MIDI file, once I figured out Mixcraft calls this add sound file, and all the tracks formed up nicely. However, some generated sound and others are dead. No idea where the sound is coming from because there's no synth assigned to any of the tracks.

So I go in and assign instruments to the tracks but some still won't generate sound. The assigned synths are generating sound manually but not picking up the midi data from their tracks. I figure it must be midi channel assignments on the tracks not matching channel assignments on the synths.

I can't find any sort of routing matrix and I can't find where the MIDI channel selection for each track is. Help a fellow out and please point me in the right direction. :shock:
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft MIDI is killing me

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try opening the .mid file by clicking on the File menu and selecting "Open Project."

If the instruments in the MIDI file adhere to general MIDI standards, Mixcraft will be able to assign the correct virtual instrument for each track. Click on the Change Instrument option to the left of each track to see which virtual instrument is selected, or to change the virtual instrument.

It's hard to say what's going on in this case without checking out the MIDI file. If you like, you can submit an Acoustica Support Request and send us the .mid file so we can check it out.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Also, we have video tutorials here and here.
Ampfixer

Post by Ampfixer »

Thanks for the info Greg. I'll try what you suggest

I have viewed those and they don't have what I want. I'm trying to make some simple backing tracks. The midi notes are there and the synths are there but I can't tell what midi channel each track is transmitting. It's easy on the synth end to adjust the receive channels but it's pointless without knowing the transmit channel.

I'm thinking Mixcraft is inserting a GM player that I can't see, and that's what's generating sound on some tracks. I'd like to bypass this automatic mode and work at a more fundamental level.

10 years+ of Sonar use is forcing me to unlearn things on a daily basis. I'm quite sure all my issues are pilot error at this point. :oops:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Double-click a note to see which MIDI channel the note is on.

Right-click on an empty track or lane, select Lanes, then MIDI Channel to see or set the MIDI channel for the track.

Greg
Ampfixer

Post by Ampfixer »

THANK YOU!
Topcheese

Post by Topcheese »

or you could select all of the notes, right click over them, then select "Note Midi Channel."
Windows 10 build 16299
AMD A8-6410 @ 2GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Sonar V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49
YMMV :roll: :arrow: https://www.reverbnation.com/dirtbom