Can I run Mixcraft?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Halftone

Can I run Mixcraft?

Post by Halftone »

Hi Mixcraft Users,

I would like to use Mixcraft 8 Pro on my 2 in 1 HP laptop. I am wondering how well it would work and would poor latency be a concern.

I have searched the forum and have found information that indicates it would work. But as much of that information is a few years old, I still would like opinions and advice that may be more current.

My laptop is a i5-7200U, 8G Ram, 256 SSD, dual Core at 2.5 Ghz.

The Graphics Card is an integrated Intel HD 620.

The Sound Card is Realtek HD audio.

Here is a link for more information. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... 35606.aspx?

Would anyone have advice about a good portable Audio Interface that would support at least one USB keyboard and optimally one guitar input. Preferably USB powered.

Any information is very much appreciated.

All the Best,

John
Mark Bliss

Re: Can I run Mixcraft?

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi John,

I can tell you that one of my machines is a VERY similarly spec'd laptop. The SSD is key IMO by the way....
I can run moderately complex projects up into the 40 track count range with "typical" plug ins for mixing. If you are a virtual instrument power user, your experience may be different.

Tips:
Figure out how to configure the machine to run in "high performance" mode. By default, laptops are typically set to run in a "power saver" mode to assist with battery charge life. It will hinder performance.
Learn how to configure your projects to make the most of your computer resources. Things like send busses to reduce plug in count of CPU hungry plug ins like reverbs for example.
Try to minimize the use of 32 bit plug ins in your 64 bit host. This also helps conserve resources.

You don't need an interface to use a USB keyboard.
For mic input, the Focusrite interface series is very popular for those on a tight budget. If you have a few extra bucks you might want to look at Audient or Apollo. The Apollo DSP stuff with UA plug ins is really nice if your swinging for the fences.

The integrated sound card becomes irrelevant if you are using an interface BTW.

Hope that helps. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Halftone

Post by Halftone »

Mark Bliss wrote:Hi John,

I can tell you that one of my machines is a VERY similarly spec'd laptop. The SSD is key IMO by the way....
I can run moderately complex projects up into the 40 track count range with "typical" plug ins for mixing. If you are a virtual instrument power user, your experience may be different.

Tips:
Figure out how to configure the machine to run in "high performance" mode. By default, laptops are typically set to run in a "power saver" mode to assist with battery charge life. It will hinder performance.
Learn how to configure your projects to make the most of your computer resources. Things like send busses to reduce plug in count of CPU hungry plug ins like reverbs for example.
Try to minimize the use of 32 bit plug ins in your 64 bit host. This also helps conserve resources.

You don't need an interface to use a USB keyboard.
For mic input, the Focusrite interface series is very popular for those on a tight budget. If you have a few extra bucks you might want to look at Audient or Apollo. The Apollo DSP stuff with UA plug ins is really nice if your swinging for the fences.

The integrated sound card becomes irrelevant if you are using an interface BTW.

Hope that helps. 8)
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it........and yes, your reply does help a lot!!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

An audio interface can make a huge difference.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Halftone

Post by Halftone »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

An audio interface can make a huge difference.

Greg
Thanks for your reply!! If you have any other advice I would be glad to hear it.
Ampfixer

Post by Ampfixer »

If I were you, I'd grab the demo and see how it runs.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Acoustica Greg wrote:An audio interface can make a huge difference.
Yes, let me restate- You dont HAVE to have an interface to use a USB keyboard. As Greg points out, it could be helpful.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Halftone

Post by Halftone »

Thank you all for responding to my post.The replies have been very helpful.