New hard drive problem with Mixcraft.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

New hard drive problem with Mixcraft.

Post by Ianpb »

I'm having a bit of a problem here, and I wondered if anyone could come up with anything I may have overlooked.

I'm using Mixcraft 8.1 Pro-Studio 64-Bit, Build 408.

Until recently, I'd been working with two internal hard drives, whereby Windows 7 is installed on drive C:, a solid state drive, while my Mixcraft project files - plus plugins - were on the second drive E:, a Western Digital 5400 RPM 2TB Green. With this setup I experienced no issues.

To improve performance, I recently installed a Western Digital 7200 RPM 2TB Black hard drive purely for use with Mixcraft projects. I copied all the project files, plugins, and anything else to do with Mixcraft from the old Green to the new Black hard drive, designating this as the new E: drive, whilst the old Green drive became F:. This way, Mixcraft would see everything as it was before.

Since this change, I've been finding that Mixcraft briefly seizes up occasionally when I load up a third-party effect plugin, but worse, while I'm making a level change in 'Perfect Drums', Mixcraft will occasionally completely freeze up permanently, thus requiring it to be closed down with work session lost.

I've run Western Digital's 'Data Lifeguard Diagnostics' software, as well as Seagate's 'SeaTools', but all tests report that nothing is wrong.

Any further ideas? Thanks in advance.
Rolling Estonian

Re: New hard drive problem with Mixcraft.

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I'm not an expert but I'm thinking it's a bios issue. Even though you renamed the drives it's still a different drive so there's a hiccup there. Again, not sure but I'm thinking along those lines.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The next time it happens, quit Mixcraft and send in your log fie. Maybe there's a clue in there.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Thanks, Greg. I'll do that.
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

Sounds like the secondary drive might be going into power-save mode and spinning down.

Try keeping all of your VST plugins on the primary drive where Mixcraft 8 is installed, and only use the secondary for your project files.

I've seen this on friends computers, but I've never experienced this myself per se'.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Drafter wrote:
Drafter wrote:Sounds like the secondary drive might be going into power-save mode and spinning down.

Try keeping all of your VST plugins on the primary drive where Mixcraft 8 is installed, and only use the secondary for your project files.
Power-saving mode is disabled and BIOS is set for highest performance. Ever since Mixcraft 6, I've always kept third party plugins on the secondary hard drive with no problems experienced. It saves having to search and re-install them again if the primary drive turns faulty or requires a reformat and re-installation of Windows.