Lowering volume including sends question

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

davefk

Lowering volume including sends question

Post by davefk »

Guys,

When lowering tracks by selecting them all at once and then lowering the volumes, should sends also be selected and lowered to keep it all relative volumes? Or do sends always stay at 0db and lowered by the send knob?

Thanks
Mark Bliss

Re: Lowering volume including sends question

Post by Mark Bliss »

If your sends are set to "post fader" they would maintain the relationship set by the send knob when adjusting the track fader. But if you change a sub-mix fader in the audio path, the relationship would not be maintained.

On the other hand, if the send is set to "pre-fader", the relationship is controlled only by the send knob or send track fader.

Typically I personally would use "post-fader" (for common reverb sends for example) and I avoid anything like automating a sub-mix fader level due to the implications of the first example.
Currently, I don't alter my send bus track levels once mixing, I control all by send knobs or send automation. One thing I have been doing though is to set my send tracks to -6 dB simply to allow a more useful operating range for my send knobs.
Don't forget to set you effect at 100% wet. Common frustrating mistake.

I know this is hard to explain in text. I'll work on an improved explanation soon. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page