Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio [Video Tutorials]

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ChernobylStudios

Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio [Video Tutorials]

Post by ChernobylStudios »

Hello,

I'm currently producing an instrumental epic melodic metal track I wrote in Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio. I've got several scripts and videos already in production, but I thought I'd ask people here what they'd particularly be interested in seeing?

The video series will cover every detail and each step. The plan thus far is as follows:

:arrow: Record & Produce an Epic Melodic Metal Song in Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio:
  • Mixcraft 8 Overview - Settings I changed and Workflow Tips;
  • Session Introduction (Covers session layout, naming system, colors, and general set-up tips);
  • Selection of the Drums and Bass Instrument;
  • Rhythm guitar recording and plug-in selection as well as recording tips;
  • Lead guitar recording;
  • Orchestral instrument selection;
  • MIDI programming for orchestral instruments tips;
  • Drum MIDI humanization tips;
  • Processing Drums, Gating Toms, and Bouncing to a single audio stem;
  • Processing Bass Guitar (split bass method) with a low/grit track bussed to a SubMix;
  • Processing orchestral instruments;
  • Fader mixing/balancing;
  • Master bus set-up;
I've set this up to go in a logical order from start to finish. Each step of the way I've saved as a separate session so it'll be easier to show what I'm doing.

I will be using a mix of 3rd party plugins. The logic being that since Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio is very fairly priced, a guy would have a few extra dollars to spend on some WAVES stuff or the Steven Slate Bundle, etc.

:arrow: A couple of things I've noticed while producing this song:
  • Slip-Editing would be a great feature to include in the future;
  • Bouncing a MIDI instrument creates a stereo stem - how to export multi-output drums from Kontakt?;
  • Can't change the color of the Master track in the Mixer tab - must have it present in the clip grid;
  • Copying and pasting MIDI lines results in odd behavior at times;*
  • Unless I haven't noticed, MIDI is always blue - could it match the track color you've set?
  • Latency is stupid low and it's awesome - very easy to monitor/record with metronome;
  • Input levels/track metering are totally different - requires careful gain staging (which is good);
  • When creating SubMix, tracks routed to it incorrectly show "Master Track" which is confusing;**
  • Mixcraft 8's simplicity allowed me to quickly memorize shortcuts and workflow patterns;
*MIDI Behavior
Editing and writing notes singularly with the mouse is fine. Drawing a selection and copy-paste yields strange results all the time. For example, putting the carot at measure 19, I've copied 4 bars of bass that I want to paste at measure 19. CTRL+C, CTRL+V. Where is it? Where did it go? Oh, I found it at measure 3 hidden behind the other clips - or it has been pasted 3 bars ahead at bar 22. This behavior is frustrating.

**SubMix Routing Names
For Kontakt 5, the names will remain "Master Track". I've noticed that audio tracks that you've put into a SubMix bus will rename themselves upon re-opening of the session.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing back from you guys about what could be useful for you to see!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio [Video Tutorials]

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Sounds like you know what you are doing, let us know when it's ready.
Will it be like this? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... E3p-dmt2kp
ChernobylStudios

Post by ChernobylStudios »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Sounds like you know what you are doing, let us know when it's ready.
Will it be like this? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... E3p-dmt2kp
Similar. I'm not nearly as good looking as that guy, though. 8) :lol:
The idea is to try and make it as useful as possible for folks using Mixcraft 8 - but also in terms of general production and mixing terms.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Welcome, Scott, I can't wait to see the video and hear your music!

It looks like you are good at characterizing bugs, and one of the interesting things about Acoustica is that they have an open beta program, with open access to the bug database.

If you are interested in participating, and entering these bugs you have found, you'll find the link here:

https://www.acoustica.com/beta/mixcraft.htm

I've found my participation in the beta program to be very rewarding, as the developers are very responsive and address issues quickly. I've submitted bugs around similar MIDI issues to the ones you mention.
-Erik