Low latency interface advice.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

geobee

Low latency interface advice.

Post by geobee »

Hi all, have a Focusrite 2i2 gen one, but the latency is terrible. Go below 8ms and it breaks up badly. Have a Line 6 unit that kills the Focusrite, but need a unit for the road, so need to buy another unit. I have heard the gen two Focusrite is better specs, but don't wish to risk it. I know several members here use different makes, so just looking for some advice. Only need two channels. Many thanks.
Rolling Estonian

Re: Low latency interface advice.

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I've got an Audient id14, great unit for the price, killer pres a jfet input and you can add 8 adat channels.

https://audient.com/products/audio-inte ... /overview/

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

One thing to keep in mind Geoff-
While another interface and driver may result in slightly lower latency before buffering issues arise, the limitation of your computer resources remain a contributing factor to the results.
I would suspect no large gains by a new interface alone in your example. Maybe some.......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

For a low budget, two channel USB2 unit with solid low-latency performance, I'd recommend Steinberg interfaces. Rock-solid drivers, with sturdy construction. You'll want to look at the UR22 mk2 or UR12.

USB3 units promise lower latency, but not a lot of people seem to have these (and of course, you'll need USB3 on your PC).

The 2nd Gen Focusrite Scarlett line promised better low latency performance (than 1st gen), but they had driver issues in the beginning. I think those got ironed out - but I don't have any hands-on experience. Might be worth trying one if you can buy from a store with a decent return policy.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks to all, computer is up to the task, as I say, the Line 6UX2 has no issues with it, just the 2i2. Only need 2 channels, so will take a look at the Steinberg units. I see Presonus has many fans out there also.
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

With the steinburg units, there is also the UR242, their newest model. This features a dsp chip which allows you to put a channel strip on the vocals, eq, compression and reverb etc, with no latency as these effects are built into the chip. Means you can process vocals before they even hit the DAW. Also, you can have the option of effects only in your headphones as well. Not sure how all this pans out in reality as I haven't tried one.

I have a bunch of songs I am ready to put vocals on and currently have the second gen focusrite 2i4. I thought it had dsp when i bought it but it doesn't. I had a m-audio ultra that had dsp and that was a much better vocal experience even though it only had reverb on the dsp chip. Sometimes it's nice to have this on the cans and record dry. With a dsp mixer, for me, it's much better setting levels.

The idea i might be able to have a dsp mixer and also put some slight compression and eq on the signal going to the DAW, have that also in my cans with a little reverb for the cans only, sounds like vocal heaven to me. This is what i think you can do on the steinburg units like the ur44 or ur242. The only caveat is that they are not bus powered, you have to use a wall wart.

I'm not getting the results i like from the focusrite just yet, it sounds plain almost sterile with the sound that you get when pushing preamps too hard, a honky harshness, not nice. I'm struggling to set levels with the direct monitoring and headphone volume and any attempt to add eq, reverb or compression from the DAW introduces latency and further complicates setting levels. I'll give it a bit more time and also try some different mics.

Remember to check for updated drivers for your focusrite before anything else, focusrite have a lot of updated drivers on their site. Mine ran terribly when i first got it.

One more thing, the steinburg units with the dsp chip also have an amp sim built in to the chip again with no latency so you can plug your guitar in and enjoy latency free realistic sound, either record that to DAW or record dry and just hear it in your cans. This gets around the latency with amp sims like guitar rig etc.

I don't know if anyone here is using the ur242 or the ur44 and might be able to confirm any of what I have written here.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks for the heads up on the UR242, cheap here in Aus too, $219 AUD, might just pull the trigger on one of them.
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

Yes, I am hovering around one of these at the moment. Still looking though, got a week or so to decide. If you do end up getting one, let us know how it goes.
Khaos Hellatron

Post by Khaos Hellatron »

I'm using Native Instruments' Komplete Audio 6. I've been using this since 2013, never had any Issues with Latency and it's Solid, built like a Tank with a Huge Knob for my Monitoring Volume, I suggest you check it out.
I heard Mackie's Onyx Black Jack is good as well but they recently released a new line of Onyx's, you might wanna check them out as well.
Win7 x64 | AMD A8 6600K Quad [3.9GHz] | G.Skill RipjawsX RAM [8GHz] | NI Komplete Audio 6 | Mackie CR4 | KRK KNS 6400 | Superlux HD661 | Sennheiser MX 400 II
geobee

Post by geobee »

Just to add to this, thinking a slightly different direction. Zoom R8 recorder/interface could be worth a thought, just $100 more than the around $200 interface units, and it has the benefit of being able to take it out of the studio for a quick take live. Has several functions including effects etc. Could be an option as the latency appears to be great also.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

geobee wrote:Just to add to this, thinking a slightly different direction. Zoom R8 recorder/interface could be worth a thought, just $100 more than the around $200 interface units, and it has the benefit of being able to take it out of the studio for a quick take live. Has several functions including effects etc. Could be an option as the latency appears to be great also.

I've had a Zoom R24 since 2011. It worked great as a recorder but it never worked at all as an interface, though maybe I couldn't work it out at the time, since I was new to the concept
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

Khaos Hellatron wrote:I'm using Native Instruments' Komplete Audio 6. I've been using this since 2013, never had any Issues with Latency
Out of interest, when you say you've never had any problems with latency, what do you use the unit for? If you do vocals and harmonies, do you use the direct monitoring function or some other way?
FluxCobalt

Post by FluxCobalt »

I would suggest the ZOOM U-24. I have one and I love it. It's bus powered and it can run on 2 AA batteries. I have used it while on vacation with my bass. If you are looking to use it on the road I think this might be a great option. The ZOOM UAC-2 would be a good choice also. It is also bus powered or plug it in to the wall. I have one and they both sound great.
Khaos Hellatron

Post by Khaos Hellatron »

Torton5 wrote:
Khaos Hellatron wrote:I'm using Native Instruments' Komplete Audio 6. I've been using this since 2013, never had any Issues with Latency
Out of interest, when you say you've never had any problems with latency, what do you use the unit for? If you do vocals and harmonies, do you use the direct monitoring function or some other way?
I use it for Vox, Guitar and Bass.
I rarely use direct monitoring since the plugins I use while tracking are mostly zero/low Latency.
For instance, with Guitars, I track with SimulAnalog's Guitar Suite, then I just switch the plugin after if I have to.
Depending on the plugin, if there's any latency, it's basically negligible.
And, that's with the PC specs you see on my signature so it's not a super computer in any way.
Also, it has 6 Inputs so you can have a simple setup for Tracking Drums. It has the bells & whistles like 48V Phantom Power, Hi-Z and MIDI Input so it's flexible enough. The Mic Pres are pretty clean and transparent too. BTW, the knobs don't wiggle and it's kinda heavy for a small device so it's pretty solid which is a plus when it comes to hardware.
Win7 x64 | AMD A8 6600K Quad [3.9GHz] | G.Skill RipjawsX RAM [8GHz] | NI Komplete Audio 6 | Mackie CR4 | KRK KNS 6400 | Superlux HD661 | Sennheiser MX 400 II
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi all, decided to go for the Zoom R8, at the price of $248 is a steal. Was $310 from Hong Kong, and got a further 20% off special deal. Just a little more than the cost of a basic interface unit, but with many more functions. I have seen these going for at least $369 and upwards, even hitting the $500 area. I am talking in Aussie dollars here.