Sound Quality help

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rsvette12

Sound Quality help

Post by rsvette12 »

Hi Guys:

Is there something I am missing when I stream youtube and use Equalizer APO sounds awesome

In Mixcraft 8 if I listen to a backing track I cant get much volume out of it and the bass breaks up - etc. just sounds like AM compared to FM - Equalizer APO does an amazing job

Would like that same playback quality with my backing tracks in Mixcraft

Some background: I did all the pc tweaks to OS also tried many vst's to help - they did improve sound but not like Equalizer APO as mentioned - cant get that powerful playback sound quality in Mixcraft

This is a laptop tweaked the best I can also using a rig kontrol 3 for my input device with asio4all which really doesnt make a difference seems the same to me with or without

Maybe there is a setting in Mixcraft that I need to set to get the full much louder sound with no bass breakup that I get from all other sound functions except when I am in Mixcraft

Thank you
rsvette12

Re: Sound Quality help

Post by rsvette12 »

Downloaded T-Racks demo that seems to be the ticket - thanks
rsvette12

Post by rsvette12 »

Well jumped the gun - back to ask how I can get full quality bass - in Mix craft it does not sound good and breaks up - when I listen to youtube video sounds amazing so its not my hardware any ideas would be appreciated

I am referring to the playback of a backing track and its not the backing tracks - tried many all have same bass breaking up issue

I tried tons of vst's some helped a bit but still no where the quality I hear when streaming sound or listening to mp3 in windows media player using my rig kontrol 3 for both situations - the bass quality is day and night - thanks
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Are you monitoring on headphones, earbuds, external loudspeakers, your laptop's built-in speakers or what?

I just took a look at Equalizer APO and it looks like it runs on Core Audio, so you should go into Preferences in Mixcraft and make sure your Sound Device driver is set to WaveRt.

Other than that, try putting the Broadcast Multiband Compressor that comes with Mixcraft on your Master bus. The Loud and High Pressure presets might get you closer to what you want.
-Erik
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am also unfamiliar with the EQ mentioned. How are you using it? What is it doing?

What are these backing tracks you are trying to get a better sound out of?

I think Erik might be on to something, suspecting you are comparing mastered commercial recordings to in-mastered audio. but the descriptions leave me unsure of just what is meant to be honest.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
rsvette12

Post by rsvette12 »

Hi guys:

Thanks for helping but changing to wave made no difference - APO is a free program that boosts your sound with an eq with pre amplification lanes you can add as many as you want with filters to choose from also

I have these ultimate ears

http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/cu ... o/ue-4-pro

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Monitor Headphones

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-A ... headphones

So lets ask this the pre amplification is whats making the difference when applying them in APO is there an amplification filter I can add to backing track layer in Mixcraft that would fix it - thanks
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

It looks like Eq APO somehow takes over Core Audio or inserts itself or something and acts as a global Eq for the whole Windows audio system when it is active. That's why I suggested switching to Core Audio, thinking that rsvette could run Eq APO at the same time as Mixcraft.

Those are some fine cans, those ATH-M50x's, my buddy Geoff brought some over last week and is mixing on them now getting great results.

So, rsvette, the questions I have:

1. What kind of backing tracks are you trying to play back in Mixcraft? Are they full mixes with drums, bass, synth, etc.? Individual instrument tracks that you are mixing?

2. For your sound device, you are plugging the M50's or the Ultimate Ears right into the laptop's output jack for playback?

3. When you play your tracks back in Mixcraft, do you see either the track meters or the Master meter going into the red? That's usually the cause of the distorted bass you're talking about. We can help with that if it's happening.

4. Did you try the Broadcast Multiband Compressor? This and other FX that come with Mixcraft and that can be d/'d for free can make your tracks sound big and loud
-Erik
rsvette12

Post by rsvette12 »

Hi Erik:

Thank you appreciate the help :)

1. I use backing tracks for me here best site anywhere to get BT's check it out - I like to download songs I like such as Pink Floyd - GNR - etc. then i make one or 2 layers of the BT that helps a bit to make it fuller sounding

https://backingtracks2mp3.com/

2. The head phones must be plugged into rig kontrol 3 as far as I know

3. Meters are fine and also pay attention when I add vst's have some nice ones

4. Broadcast Multiband Compressor - I am going to try that right now - get back to you ASAP
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well, I am at a loss. I checked out some of the tracks at that site. They are loud and sound fine to me. Obviously "mastered" loudness too.

"2 layers" would simply make them louder.
And after downloading and playing two different tracks in Mixcraft to see if I could duplicate or further understand any perceived problem, I found them to have peaks over 0dB. They would need to be turned down assuming you are recording along with them.

And you mentioned adding VST's, but these are already processed and mastered tracks. So I am wondering what other than subtle EQ one might want to add?

Is the perceived problem while monitoring them playing, or just upon mixdown, or?

I would love to be more help, but I simply am not understanding the issue I guess.
You mentioned "preamp filter"
That's two different things. A preamp generally adds gain, sometimes subtle saturation or distrortion. The backing tracks don't seem to need either. Filters (IE: EQ's) generally adjust frequency ranges. Perhaps some subtle adjustments could be made, but I dont see any obvious need.

Perhaps the issue is getting your recordings to "fit" well with the backing tracks? That could be tough on several levels I think? These have a relatively "pro" level sound to them. Recording along with them could have fairly different results that didnt seem to fit together.

Perhaps if I could hear an example of the issue, or the difference you are hearing I could be more help.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
rsvette12

Post by rsvette12 »

Thanks Mark - at the moment i am not recording just playing lead guitar to backing tracks to practice

I thought there was a way to raise the volume of the track right on the track itself - you push on it and roll the mouse - something like that cant remember - can that be done

My problem is everything sounds like AM in Mixcraft compared to streaming backing tracks on youtube with APO addon everything sounds so full and nice - not saying its Mixcraft may be the same with any other daw just trying to figure out why I can have that big sound in both worlds

Hi Erik Broadcast Multiband Compressor helped to clean up the muddy bass but again still have a lousy sound quality in daw only

Basically the volume is to low in daw when I try to raise it I get clipping and and bass breaking with a terrible quality play back i need to pump up the backing track layer before doing anything to it - then back off

Thats how it works with Equalizer APO - it amplifies the sound big time then I can back off and get nice big clean full sounding playback
rsvette12

Post by rsvette12 »

if you have a pc download equalizer APO and install it also install Peters extension - you will now know what I am talking about its awesome

You can use equalizer APO 1.2 and add amplification manually and filters but Peters addon makes it a lot easier

Try it its amazing and free

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

No thanks, I don't have any need to enhance the output audio, that would defeat the purpose of accurate monitoring for mixing or using a DAW for my intended purposes.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
rsvette12

Post by rsvette12 »

Got yah :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

How is your audio routed from the DAW/computer to the rig3?

How does the rig3 allow for balancing the level between guitar and audio input?

The backing tracks sound good in the DAW to me. Certainly not like AM vs FM as you describe.
Maybe try monitoring directly from the computers soundcard for comparison. See if the backing tracks sounds OK.

Since the track is already loud, peaking, I suspect doubling or layering is aggravating things. You cant successfully "turn up" what is already peaking without problems. And doubling does exactly that.
Adding "enhancements" to the global playback is usually undesireable for most recording/mixing purposes, because you want/need to hear what is REALLY coming out of your system un-altered. So the APO or whatever isn't helping if its just crutching poor audio or covering up another problem, such as poor monitors or correcting for a room or space, neither being applicable here apparently.

I suspect, still guessing, you need to address something either in routing or the rig3 settings, or simply crank up the monitoring level of the audio input relative to the guitar level. Often, guitar "rigs" are LOUD and getting the right level of backing track relative to that can be a problem.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
rsvette12

Post by rsvette12 »

Audio is routed from usb of Rig Kontrol 3 pedal board has built in amp

RK3 does not use software to balance things its a hardware dial called gain which really only acts as a volume switch so nothing I can do there - good question though

I am going to try BBE sound sonic vst next - that looks like what I need

"Maybe try monitoring directly from the computers soundcard for comparison. See if the backing tracks sounds OK"

Try this see if that makes a difference not sure I can

I use this pedal board to work with Helix Native and also at the moment limited midi changes