What is this "C" folder?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aj113

Re: What is this "C" folder?

Post by aj113 »

mixyguy2 wrote:...Amen! Appreciate the info, but when I do "save as," it still creates a folder...
Really? After opening an already existing project and saving it as something else?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Mark Bliss wrote: You can change where the projects are saved to. You can customize the filing system a number of ways if you really wish to. But its such a time suck......

Basics:
The .MX8 file is a Mixcraft project file. It contains no audio files. No sounds. It is merely a set of instructions for how your Mixcraft project is set up and where to find the files it needs and how exactly to use them. You really MUST have a project folder that contains all those other necessary files for the project to work as desired. Wherever you choose to locate them, this is necessary.
So, you need a location. A folder named Mixcraft Projects would be a useful thing to have there. Within that you want to have individual folders for each project. Within them you want to have a Mixcraft project file, and all the projects assets.

It also turns out the "My Documents" works pretty well by default. Its where many Windows users keep their work, whatever that may be.
But if you prefer, create a folder on your desktop (or wherever) and project subfolders within. Whatever works for you.
On my computer, "The Easy Ones" project file and assets are in a folder named "The Easy Ones" which itself is in a folder named "Example Projects" pretty much exactly as I described previously. You could put that folder on your desktop if thats where you wish to have it. It would work the same as the default "My Documents" folder you dont care to use.
My point was that if you let Mixcrafts default filing work as designed and examined it, you could then be better prepared change it as you wish.
I dont see how I could give a much clearer answer really.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
comedians

Post by comedians »

I am sure that 99% of users on this forum take note of help & assistance Mark so gracefully gives his time to offer.
His responses are precise, even if on occasions they expand a little further than one needs, but always constructive and often invaluable. I could well understand if he was to become a little peeved when his knowledged is questioned by someone who obviously doesn't have his know how.
I know, from my own experiences as a software writer of 30 + years, how I often have to "hold my tongue" when a user attempts to tell me how my program works or even how it should work.

I don't use the Acoustica default method of saving projects preferring to use my own defined paths but the manual seems to explain it in a straight forward way. You can set your default path in Preferences & also by looking under Author Information after clicking the Project tab you can see where the project you are working on is located.

"
Select Save or Save As… from the File menu, navigate to the folder where you’d like
the current project’s folder to reside, type in a name and click the Save button. Mixcraft
automatically creates a folder with the name you typed. The Mixcraft project file and all
associated audio files will save to the project folder.
If the project has already been saved in an earlier version, the Save command will
simply overwrite the existing project file with the same file name. If you’d like to save
different iterations of a project, we recommend adding numbers or dates at the end of
the project file name".

Everytime you save a sub folder called backup is always created - and a good thing too IMO.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

even if on occasions they expand a little further than one needs,
WHAT? :lol:
I do try to cover beyond the original question sometimes. My rationale is that it might serve to help users other than the original poster.
Sometimes I might get carried away.... Maybe. 8)

Thanks.
My impression from the moment I joined this forum was that it had the potential for greatness if users shared what they had learned. I don't always get it right and sometimes my passion has caused me to overreact. Human.
If the project has already been saved in an earlier version, the Save command will
simply overwrite the existing project file with the same file name. If you’d like to save
different iterations of a project, we recommend adding numbers or dates at the end of
the project file name"
One can get carried away......
Crazy obsessed.png
Crazy obsessed.png (11.49 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
There's a few more pages to that one...... :lol:

This filing thing isnt that tough. Its very small potatoes actually. :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Using "Save As" does not create a folder, as aj113 pointed out.

If you're still getting unexpected folders on your desktop, we should look at the Default Project Folder setting in Recording preferences again.

Back in the olden days, Mixcraft put all recordings when into the same folder. This caused problems when people tried to move projects around, because they had a giant folder of recordings from different projects mixed together. Starting with Mixcraft 6, we made it so that each project had its own folder, and any recordings that were made for that project were placed inside that folder. This helped keep things more organized. Of course, you can still use audio files from outside the project folder in a project, and that's why we added the "Copy Project Files" option to the File menu.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101