Re-opend saved project - all tracks lost except 1

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Freerskier

Re-opend saved project - all tracks lost except 1

Post by Freerskier »

Ok, this is majorly alarming.

I've just reopened a saved project and its now only got 1 track. Previously it had load, pianos, strings, sampled and programmed drums vocals etc. All are lost except 1 drum track. This is a nightmare and a song I've been working on for weeks.

Has anybody else experienced this and know what causes it.

I can go back to one of the automated backups and re-open the last back up and work from there, try and work out whats missing of course - but is there a setting, or something that may have caused this.

Please get back soon as this has screwed my song. :(
Acoustica Greg

Re: Re-opend saved project - all tracks lost except 1

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What kind of tracks were they? Virtual instrument tracks or audio tracks?

If they were audio tracks, did Mixcraft try to search for the missing audio files?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Greg - as I said - all types have just disappeared. there were around 20 tracks: recorded vocals, loops from the library, midi tracks of virtual instruments. So, all Virtual, audio, the lot.

I know have 1 midi programmed kit track left, that was track one in the song. Nothing else.

The most recent back up done on 3/3 is the same. All tracks except for 1 gone.

When opening the project it just loads the 1 track, doesn't look for all the loops used etc or "find" all othe ther tracks. I am at a loss.

An earlier back up a day before does open, loads pianissimo etc no problem but that's hours of work earlier - hours of work that's now vaporized.

Has anybody else seen this I am scuppered. Perhaps there's a header file for the project that's corrupted so its doesn't load the entire project. I don't know.....

Is this a clue to the bug that the only track found is track 1 - again any help at all...

OK - More info.
if I right click > properties on the corrupted file its 3.3MB in size. But it only has 1 VI/Midi track. An earlier back up is 2.79MB in size and has nearly all the tracks. Its like the corrupted version is "reporting" the correct size file but the tracks, except track 1, are masked or hidden.

Any more analysis suggestions from the Mixcraft massive? What do I do?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are all the backups like that? Mixcraft creates a backup project each time you save.

Are you using Mixcraft v8.1 build 412?

Greg
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

All the earlier backups are fine - although of course historically not that usable as they are old versions of the song.

I am currently on 8.1 64 bit build 408.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You could submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the project so we can take a look at it.

Greg
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

GREG - SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG.

I loaded a previous back up to start working on putting back all the work that had been lost.

I saved the back up as a different name, closed mix craft, loaded the project. Exactly the same - This version is now down to 1 track only all the other tracks that were there a minute ago are gone.

So I am now stuck - picking up an older version and re-saving it does the same thing. Loses all the tracks except track 1. I now cant move forward. Cant put the work back and resave either. This is a nightmare.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try restarting your computer if you haven't already done that, then update to build 412.

Send us one of the backup projects before tracks go missing.

Greg
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Did that Im stuck on the 'Mixcraft 8 is running screen please save your work etc.'

No work to save, no project open.

I click retry and it just loops on that screen with an audio trill. HOW do I get ourt of that screen - I cant up date as it says to save work etc work and that M8 is already running. I just click retry and it stays there.

Thnks.

I cant attach a file as your forum says the files too big. Thoughts?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You have to quit Mixcraft to install the patch. So, leave that "Retry" screen open, but quit Mixcraft.

Submit a ticket to send us a "before" backup project.

Greg
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

Greg.

Submitted at ticket and got a confirmation already.

Unless I'm missing something you up date via the "check for updates" menu option within M8. So mixcraft is already running when you update. You download the update then get the "mixcraft is alrwdy running dialog" - of course it is. You are in m8 to run the update. Then you just have retry or cancel. You click retry and it loops round that dialogue.

I gotta go now. Pick this up in the morning. I need my work back.

Coukd you advise if anyone else has reported this problem
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

So back to some earlier observations :
1) the MB size of the properties of the corrupted project seem to indicate that all is till there
2) picking up an existing uncorruptrd project and resaving it seems to reveal the problem. As once then reopened again this previously fine project is stripped down to 1 track.

The windows properties still reports the same, pre messed up size though. No change in MB file size.

It's like something is corrupting when saving but the file either still is or reports that nothing's changed in its header re file size.

What are your thoughts?

Have you had time to examine the file?
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

To answer one of your earlier questions that I over looked: "did Mixcraft try to search for the missing audio files".

No it didn't, the corrupted project opens extremely quickly.
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

I have updated to the newest version of MX8 Pro, build 412.

Files still corrupted.

I can create NEW projects, save them, and they re-open without issue.

Checking the web this seems to be an intermittent problem reported in MX4 going forward by different users: Open up a saved project, tracks are gone.

Ive asked earlier: Has anyone else reported this?

What format and where does MX8 Pro store Audio files, say if you record a guitar or vocal track, can you go and search/find those files. I tried looking for .ogg's but only found the clips from the Mixcraft Library used in my songs, not audio files that I've recorded.

Like I posted before mixcraft does not search for files when you open the corrupted project, but the file size of said project remains as it was before the problem occurred - like the tracks are still there but then not of course.

Should my expectation just be to re-do all the work?

Should I try and recreate the problem and send you the MIxcraft-Log?

Please can someone get back to me. Thanks...

Or....Can I call/can you call me, its a lot quicker an more efficient for both parties. the forum is great for getting technical hints and tips, creative use of the tools etc, all great stuff, but I am reporting a catastrophic problem. I cant help thinking that a different line of support would be better, talking to an expert, while a bit "Auld Skool" , would a) speed things up and b) be beneficial for Acoustica and me. My number is xxx xxx xxxx.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Generally, when you see the "missing tracks" issue, you're seeing people who moved projects or audio files around so that Mixcraft can't find them when you open the project. That's why I asked if you were seeing Mixcraft search for missing audio files.

What happened in your case is more unusual. The project file is partly corrupt. It allows Mixcraft to start loading it, but everything after the first track is unreadable. Usually, when a project is corrupt, you can't open it at all.

Did Mixcraft crash as you were saving the project?

Greg