Steinberg UR242 and Mixcraft.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

geobee

Steinberg UR242 and Mixcraft.

Post by geobee »

Hi all, just purchased the UR242 and cannot get it working. Installed the software supplied, but in Mixcraft preferences it is listed as a device, but on the unit, the front white led is just blinking, and Mixcraft says it cannot open projects as there is no playback device. It was supplied with Cubase, but I don't want to have to learn a new DAW, so don't wish to install that one. Surely it should work in Mixcraft? It didn't give me a desktop icon after the install, which I would think it should have. Can the on-board effects etc in the UR242 be heard via headphones, or can they only be accessed once the unit is accessed within Mixcraft. I would have thought I should be able to open up a screen display for the device once it is installed. I installed the supplied Basic FX Suite, Yamaha Drivers, and the E Licence, but no joy. I have probably done something wrong, as this is all a bit new to me. Any help would be great. Regards. Geoff
Acoustica Greg

Re: Steinberg UR242 and Mixcraft.

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Do you have ASIO selected in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences? Also make sure you've got the correct setting in the ASIO Device setting (not ASIO4All or something).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
geobee

Post by geobee »

All good, updated the drivers and it ''woke up''. Thought the supplied drivers would be ok, but not so.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Yup, always download the latest drivers. There's no way to know how old the drivers on the included disc are and what issues have been fixed since....

Also a good idea to check the firmware (if your device has updateable firmware). Usually, this must be updated first before the drivers.

When in doubt, just follow the instructions on the manufacturer support page.
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

Geoff, you might want to check the separate USB driver download page for the Steinberg USB driver as it is version 1.10.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/do ... river.html

The one that comes with the general tools download is version 1.9, at least it is with me, I am on the UR44. The difference is that the newer driver has introduced 32 samples as the lowest latency while version 1.9 is still at 64 lowest setting.

I only know this after reading JonInc's good advice and being reminded to check for updates. I am just using the CD drivers but have had no issues, I am now downloading the updated drivers and tools as mine is a bit behind. I am intrigued that latency could get even lower still. Although it's not essential with the DSP chip available.

The DSPfx mixer does not install any icon, you have to go to programs, select it and then right click, "create shortcut" (on windows) in order to get an icon on your screen. It also does not stay on top when used with Mixcraft so to use alongside Mixcraft, you have to shrink the windows and fit them on the screen. The software GUI and it's implementation is a bit behind the times, looks like something from Windows 98, nevertheless, I can't complain about this unit much at all.

Once you open up the DSPfx application through clicking on the icon, you can use the effects and hear through the headphones or speakers either stand alone or within Mixcraft. You click the power button on the strip (above the send control) to engage the effect and the "e" button (right next to it) to call up the relevant interface. Just above these 2 buttons you can click and select either "INS.FX" (the effect will be printed) or "MON.FX" (the effect will only be on monitoring).

Below the power and e buttons, you can click and select whichever effect or guitar amp preset you would like.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks for the help. Yes, the software does look a little dated. Also, is there a way to enlarge the view as the icons are sooo small and quiet dark. I raised the screen brightness, but it is still difficult to read the icons, making it a bit of a pain to use. I am yet to use it within Mixcraft. Would the effects in the 242 appear in the Mixcraft effects list, or do I just record ''wet'' from the 242 when wishing to use it's onboard effects? Many thanks.
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

No way to enlarge the dialog boxes, they are small, I suspect Steinberg don't want the DSP software side of things to look too good on other DAW's to try to get you to install Cubase. In Cubase, the DSP mixer integrates directly with it.

The effects are provided on the DSP chip but they also provide you with a duplicate software VST3 version of all the effects, the channel strip, the amp modelling and the reverb. The VST versions have to be registered through the e licensing system, then they will show up in Mixcraft. Presets are transferable between the DSP hardware effects and their duplicate software versions. I guess the idea is, you can use the effects on the DSP chip to monitor, record dry and then use the software version of the same effect with the same preset in mixing if you want...nice idea.

I am only using the DSP effects and have not bothered with the VST versions or downloading Cubase etc. Unfortunately, Steinberg joins the list of companies I refuse to deal with because they insist on you having an internet connection on your DAW to both install (stubs) and authorize their products. This is not possible for me as my DAW has no internet connection. A shame as I really like the reverb a lot.

I haven't spent a lot of time with the channel strip as I have been deciding on how to record guitar, after trying numerous different possibilities with amp sims etc I decided that I will use the Yamaha clean channel on the DSP chip and record direct to the track with that for clean funk rhythm, no software sims. Zero latency in monitors and it sounds great to me, record once and then your done, ready to mix. It beat's spending hours upon hours with amp sims and their millions of different combinations.

Tomorrow, I will dare to take on the Yamaha distorted sounding amps, I am expecting something terrible here but maybe I will be proven wrong. I didn't like the clean channel to start with but all it needed was some tweaking and proper gain staging.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi, agree re not using Cubase just so it is easier to operate the software. Too many different DAW's around, best stick to one, as in Mixcraft and learn it to the best of one's ability, rather than try and learn many.I mainly wanted a good interface, and the 242 seems to do that well. I did licence the software, si the effects should show up in Mixcraft, will have to go through it again. On a slightly different issue, the 242 is installed on my studio desktop, but I would also like it on my Toshiba notebook for ''on the road'' recordings, but when I tried to licence it, it says it has already been done, and wont allow a second licence. I would have thought it could be installed on more than one computer that you own. Would there be anyway I could get around this maybe? Regards.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

geobee wrote: On a slightly different issue, the 242 is installed on my studio desktop, but I would also like it on my Toshiba notebook for ''on the road'' recordings, but when I tried to licence it, it says it has already been done, and wont allow a second licence. I would have thought it could be installed on more than one computer that you own.
You're talking about the Basic FX Suite license, right? You can't use the soft e-Licenser on more than one device. The only way to get around that is to buy a hardware dongle, which can be moved back and forth.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn ... er-sel-faq
geobee

Post by geobee »

Yes, the Basic suite. On reading your reply, I gather I could use it on both computers by loading the licence to a USB and taking it to the laptop. It would then be only possible to use the Suite while the stick is plugged in either computer? Which wouldn't be a problem as I can only use one at a time. Or purchase an extra licence USB.
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

According to that, you also have to purchase more licences, can only use on one computer at a time.

While I love this UR44, I have to say the software side of things is a bit of a let down for me. The sounds and the quality are great. The licensing and the user interface on the DSPfx mixer and channel strip are the problem. Oddly, the interface on the guitar amps are great, big with big turnable knobs.

Even just a minor change in the code so the mixer and guitar amps can stay on top when using Mixcraft would be great. Then to make the dialog boxes bigger.

Oh well, at the price I guess we cannot complain too much.

It is obvious though why Steinberg and Cubase etc is losing ground to other DAW's. Can only install on DAW from internet (stubs), no offline authorisation, can only use on one computer or have to buy more licenses, have to use a hardware dongle if you have more than one computer. All horrid and unworkable for me.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

geobee wrote:Yes, the Basic suite. On reading your reply, I gather I could use it on both computers by loading the licence to a USB and taking it to the laptop. It would then be only possible to use the Suite while the stick is plugged in either computer?
First let's clarify what you mean by "USB". If you're referring to a standard USB flash drive, then no, that's not allowed because you're still talking about the soft e-licenser, which is only good for one device.

When I wrote "hardware dongle" I meant the Steinberg e-licenser:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... censer-key

This device does NOT use the soft-eLicenser. Licenses are managed on the hardware e-licenser, so you can easily move it from one PC to another and the license is instantly active (Making it possible to use the same Steinberg software on both a desktop and laptop, for example, though obviously not at the same time).
geobee

Post by geobee »

Yep, got that now. Checked the price for the dongle here in Australia, and they are around $60. To just be able to use the rather limited basic suite, it's a bit rich to spend.Myself, like most others have effects laid on in Mixcraft, so I will be happy enough with that. It is a great interface, that's the main reason for purchasing.
Plus, I managed to snag a Zoom R8 for $260 brand new, and plenty more effects etc in that, as well as a recorder/interface.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi all, having an issue where the 242 appears to be very low on getting enough signal into Mixcraft. Using a standard Telecaster electric guitar, and the asio setting, Mixcraft is struggling to get enough drive signal. I have tried different FX settings in the 242, even the clean channel is distorting before I can get an audible signal into Mixcraft. On playback, it sounds very low and the visible audio wave confirms this. I have the channel gain on the 242 set correctly, just clipping on the ''peaks''. The guitar sounds very ''flat'' and adding reverb in the 242 fx does lift the sound quality, but is still low on gain. I can use the same guitar through my Line 6 UX2, or my new Zoom R8 and the instrument sounds as it should, with plenty of signal into Mixcraft. Monitoring via the headphones from the 242 sounds loud enough, but increasing the gain to get enough drive for Mixcraft, results in distortion, even in the headphones. I am aware using asio means that there is mo gain control in Mixcraft, with the level having to be done externally. If I try and switch over to waveRT, it says Mixcraft cant play sounds on that setting. Probably my error, still learning, but any ideas would be great. Regards.
geobee

Post by geobee »

All good, think I have it sorted. I had the channel strip switched on, and even with the clean guitar amp sound, the preamp and master have to be set properly, or even the clean amp sound will distort. That is where my clipping was coming from. Not the best user software IMO, but a very nice, well built box.