Recording stereo

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

geobee

Recording stereo

Post by geobee »

Hi all, trying to record stereo, as in using two separate lanes. When I arm one lane and have it set to say, left channel, then the next lane set to record the right channel, with both in record mode, I get signal into one lane, but not the other, even though both lanes are showing they are ready to record. Cant seem to work around it. If one lane is set to record ''stereo'', does that mean left and right channels in the one lane? If so, that is all I need instead of using two separate lanes.
aj113

Re: Recording stereo

Post by aj113 »

geobee wrote:...If one lane is set to record ''stereo'', does that mean left and right channels in the one lane?
Yes
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Terminology OCD :-)
geobee

Post by geobee »

AAH Got it now. :D Now, how do we rewind the Mixcraft tape...............can't seem to find that button. :roll: I will catch up one of these days.lol In the middle of building my new tube bass amp, so I am ok with electronics. :D
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

The buttons to the left of the play button
geobee

Post by geobee »

Damn, thought I had this sorted, but not quite. The problem I am getting is this. I am seeing both left and right audio on the output meters within the Steinberg UR242, but when the signal gets into Mixcraft, which I have the recording mode set to stereo by the way, I am only seeing the left channel signal on the Mixcraft meters, nothing on the right. I even went back to Mixcraft 7, still the same, took off the Steinberg and put my old Line 6 UX2 back on as the interface, and both channels magically appear as they should. So, the fault surely rests withing the Steinberg, but what I do not know. The pans in the 242 are centered, and the master output led' meters are showing equal output from the unit. It is brand new, so maybe a faulty unit? Any ideas would be good I cannot see where there are any settings that need to be changed, as the meters are equal in the output of the unit. The same usb cable was used in my cross checking also.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Further to this, I read that the steinberg will only send a mono signal to the DAW if it is a mono device being plugged in, as in a guitar. But, as the Steinberg has stereo effects built in, wouldn't it be assumed that it would also send this stereo signal to Mixcraft, as well as the headphone monitoring. I checked the line inputs, and they go in as stereo to Mixcraft. What is the use of having stereo effects onboard an interface, if they only send out a mono signal? Bit of a waste of money IMO, if this is the situation. There is a function that is named ''insert effects'' which decides if the stereo effects are sent to the DAW as well as the headphones. They appear in the phones, but only one side to the DAW.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Just noticed there is no signal showing on the DAW master section of the Steinberg software panel, probably why I am getting no stereo effects through to Mixcraft. Maybe someone has this same unit and can shed some light on it. I hope it works in Mixcraft, and not just set up for Cubase.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I don't have the Steinberg interface but have just scrolled through it's manual and am wondering if the limitations of the DSP effects listed on page 27 could be causing your problem.
Check page 27 of the manual , if necessary go back as far as page 22
http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... _om_a0.pdf
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks Ian, yes, the effects are limited a little, but even with no effects used at all, I am getting no signal showing in the DAW master section, there is a level slider, pan etc, but they may as well not be there as they do not tell me anything.