Can Mixcraft record an hour long performance?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

SirLanceALot

Can Mixcraft record an hour long performance?

Post by SirLanceALot »

Can Mixcraft capture a 1 to 1.5hr live performance? 16ch's worth?
I want to record a Passion Play performance this weekend. (The answer is probably in the manuals or FAQ’s somewhere, I just haven’t found it yet)

I'm guessing it can record up to the max memory size, which is 16G for this laptop.
But is there some buffer size or some limit where the pgm will pause to dump what's recorded?

My laptop has a solid state drive, maybe Mixcraft could record directly to it instead of RAM, then there'd be no limit. (Well, a much higher limit, but I'd never reach that for this recording)

Only worry I have is if the laptop locks up for some reason, and the whole night is lost. It's never locked up, but I've never recording anything longer than one song before. Previously we've done this with a dedicated record to hard disk unit.

Any thoughts, anyone? Anyone recorded a band live?
Lance
Mixcraft user since Ver 1or2 (when it still fit on a floppy or 2)
Acoustica Greg

Re: Can Mixcraft record an hour long performance?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The limit for each individual file would likely be 4 GB. If you're recording at 44100 KB or 48000 KB, 16-bit or 24-bit, one hour shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a calculator that shows file sizes of recorded wav files: http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Reso ... e_Size.htm

People running into the 4 GB limit could record in FLAC or Ogg instead of wav.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
SirLanceALot

Post by SirLanceALot »

Thanks Greg for the link to the file size calculator.
It calculated around 7.9G for 16h's at 24bit. Too big if 4G is the limit.
But I believe with Win10 the file size can be much larger.

Can Mixcraft record directly to a SSD?

I'm wanting to use Mixcraft to record an entire set.

On my wish list is for Mixcraft to be able to record Video and audio live, for an hour. Definately would need to record to SSD in that case. I'd be willing to pay a lot more for Mixcraft with that upgraded feature.
Lance
Mixcraft user since Ver 1or2 (when it still fit on a floppy or 2)
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

One of my Mixcraft computers has an SSD in it as its C: drive and Mixcraft records to it just fine. The OS takes care of it so Mixcraft doesn't even know what kind of disk it's writing to.

I've done a couple of live video shoots of bands, single camera.

You don't say what kind or how many camera(s) you have, how many mics, what kind of mixing board.

Rather than trying to use Mixcraft to capture the entire live audio and video performance, my inclination is usually to let each element handle what it does best. Record the video into the cameras and the audio into Mixcraft.

My cameras all record to SD cards. Do you have a camera that records directly to a computer?

If I use them, I track my "good" mics using the Firepod(s) into the notebook using Mixcraft, and import the video and nudge it into place using its audio tracks (or, ideally, a clapper) as the reference.

Shoot the video with the camera(s) using the on-board mics, if there are multiple cameras, bring all that into Vegas Pro for compositing and editing. I do this by either popping the SD card out and sticking it into my computer's card reader, or hooking a USB cable up between the camera and the computer to download the movie.

If recording all of your video and audio directly into the same computer program at the same time is important, and you are willing to "pay a lot more" for a Mixcraft that could do that, but you have a need for it now, there are several existing programs that already have that feature (check MAGIX' website). You could use one of them to do the recording, then import the resulting tracks into Mixcraft. That might be a stopgap measure while you wait for Acoustica to implement your request.
-Erik
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft can't capture video, so the video portion is not an issue, and 1 hour of audio should be no problem at all.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101