Mixcraft crashing on project loading

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Savannahrenovations

Mixcraft crashing on project loading

Post by Savannahrenovations »

Weird problem....Have not yet been able to identify the culprit. Quick info:

i7 8700k processor, 64 MB ram
Mixcraft 8 Pro

Yesterday I started one new project and messed with a couple that I had laying around. Today, If I try to open them, Mixcraft crashes. I have been trying to get to the root issue and look at the common denominators.

One of the projects will load if I restart.
The other two will load the backup files.

In all the instances I noted the common denominator being AAS Chromaphone. I also have an older project that I used Chromophone on that has troubles loading, but I can usually get it to open with some work.

Today, I loaded a couple usual instruments and recorded random notes...added Chromophone and recorded AND...it opens fine. Ugh.

So, I am not sure. Any way to check? Or does anyone have any ideas?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft crashing on project loading

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can select the Manage Plug-Ins option from the File menu and un-check AAS Chromaphone, then restart Mixcraft and see if all the projects load normally.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Savannahrenovations

Thanks, Greg for your input. I appreciate the support Mixcraft offers!

Well, I guess it's not Chromophone.

Last night I created 8 new projects and cannot recreate the issue.
The original files that crashed Mixcraft still do.

I don't know... just going to continue on and see if it happens again. I am going to save my projects more frequently as separate files and see.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can check the Backup folder inside the project folder to see if there is a backup project that will load properly.

If you like, you can submit an Acoustica Support Request, and send us one of the project files you can't load and we'll see if we can open it.

Greg
Savannahrenovations

Again, appreciate your quick reply, Greg!

Thanks for the suggestion, and yes, I did have some backup files that are clean and usable.

Is it possible that Mixcraft did not load properly that day? There were two files that I opened and saved on Sunday that I am unable to open without a crash. Now, I cannot reproduce the problem...everything is working perfectly.

For now I am just going to save more frequently and monitor the issue. It has not happened since.

Maybe a glitch in the Matrix?
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

I had this happen to me a little while ago i.e. when loading a particular project Mixcraft kept on crashing. Turns out that the project file was corrupt i.e. I had a computer crash last year (notebook and audio interface got "fried" for some reason) and it just so happened that Mixcraft was open with that project at that exact time.

Regards,

Dale.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If there's a crash as Mixcraft is saving, the project file can sometimes get corrupted. Or maybe if you had a bad sector on your hard drive where the project was saving.

Greg
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Thanks.

No problem. Only time I've ever had an issue like this with Mixcraft. Actually quite surprised that it was the only thing I lost (ended up replacing the motherboard and audio interface i.e. it was that bad and it happened on Christmas Day last year no less!!! LOL!!!). Just thought I'd post about it i.e. maybe this chaps Project Files have gotten / are getting corrupted for some reason (hardware).

Regards,

Dale.
Savannahrenovations

So, My problem continues....

Seems to be related to VSTi. Specifically Applied Acoustics Lounge Lizzard (VST3). And East West Play. And AIR Tech...basically everything I have purchased.

The project is fine...playing fine. Save. Start up the next day and CRASH. If I disable the VSTi instruments one at a time it will open...eventually. Sometimes I can reactivate the VSTi and get the project to start working properly. Sometimes not. This is getting very frustrating. I think I need to open a support request.

I am frustrated to the point of downloading Reaper to evaluate. I do not wan't to learn another DAW.

Help!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The next time it happens, quit Mixcraft and send us your Mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
Savannahrenovations

Thanks Greg!

I did just that.

I actually noticed that the log file replaces itself each time Mixcraft starts. So, I duplicated the crash twice. I have no idea what I am looking at, but skimmed through the log file. I noticed that the last entry in both was AIR Hybrid 3 was loaded.

This has lead me to suspect the AIR Hybrid 3 VSTi. I have shut it off and the projects that were crashing loaded normally. I have a feeling Support is going to tell me something about this VSTi.

I will post the results here once I get it all worked out in the event anyone else has this problem in the future.

Thanks again to folks at Mixcraft for being so responsive!
Tana Edwards

Post by Tana Edwards »

Hi , are you on 64 or 32 bit mc?
And those VSTis, 64 or 32? I have trouble when mixing them up. Just one more thing to look at.
Savannahrenovations

I have opened a support ticket, and I am completely impressed with the effort being applied by the folks at Mixcraft. We are still trying to figure this one out.

Tana: Everything I am using is 64 in this case.

Quick update to where we are now: I believe crashes on loading are related to an AIR instrument bundle I purchased. The instruments work flawlessly, I can mixdown, save record, everything. Until I close Mixcraft and reopen it on loading the file Mixcraft crashes.

I have engineered a workaround for the time being. I do everything normally until I am finished for the day. At that point I change the AIR instrument to a Mixcraft one. Save...close. Once I reopen to start working on it again, I change back to the AIR instrument.

Here is where it gets even more odd: Greg Asked if I opened a new project and simply record using the AIR instruments if it would crash. It does not! Then I sequentially added the instruments and effects I would normally use. Still no crashes. Of course this test file is only 8 bars long. Makes me wonder if the size of the file causes any issues?

My computer is all SSD's except for one standard HDD drive. I use this one to save my MX8 files and folders (just the MX8 files nothing else music related). I am starting to wonder if there might be something wrong with the drive? Is it too slow? I don't know.

Again, the amount of effort being applied by Mixcraft support is awesome. I am totally blown away by this level of support for a product that I only paid $189 for!

I can assure you if I have a problem with my $2,500 computer I would not get this much help.