Notes not playing on VSTi

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Notes not playing on VSTi

Post by mixyguy2 »

This is only occasional but not seeing a rhyme or reason offhand, wondering if anyone might know why...sometimes I'll be playing something (using "Musical typing") and when I hit a note, I get no sound. It's only when I have several other notes being played at the same time. The weird thing is a note right next to it will play. ? Anyone else experience this?
Ampfixer

Re: Notes not playing on VSTi

Post by Ampfixer »

Is it possible you are reaching the limit of how many notes the VST can play at one time? On most of my virtual instruments this can be an issue. Usually they will drop a note until the notes sounding have reduced. Notes that have a long decay time can also be cut short.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Since we're only talking 4 or 5 notes and I can hit other notes instead, no, that's definitely not it. Very strange.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Is the note out of the range of the vsti? Some of the organ vstI's won't play notes in the C6 or C7 range. :D
Topcheese

Post by Topcheese »

mixyguy2 wrote:Since we're only talking 4 or 5 notes and I can hit other notes instead, no, that's definitely not it. Very strange.
Still sounds like a polyphony problem , how many voices are assigned to a note? You can change the number of voices on some of them. You could also have another track using the same port and channel?
Windows 10 build 16299
AMD A8-6410 @ 2GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Sonar V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49
YMMV :roll: :arrow: https://www.reverbnation.com/dirtbom
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Topcheese wrote:Still sounds like a polyphony problem
Can't imagine why you'd think that, but whatever! Nope not it.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We found with Musical Typing that the number of keys you can press at once varies. On some keyboards, you can only play five notes at a time, for example. The maximum number you can play will vary depending upon your particular PC keyboard.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

Here's a silly solution that worked for me some time ago, If you are using a wireless keyboard try a new battery!
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

We found with Musical Typing that the number of keys you can press at once varies. On some keyboards, you can only play five notes at a time, for example. The maximum number you can play will vary depending upon your particular PC keyboard.

Greg
Thanks for the info Greg. Any idea why, or a chance at a fix in the future? Wouldn't ordinarily matter, but I'll be spending my share of time on the road for business with nothing but my laptop and MC to tinker with :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

PC keyboards weren't designed for pressing large numbers of keys at the same time. They're designed for typing sequential characters, plus Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl+v or whatever.

You could get one of those little 25 key keyboards for the road!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101