Keys Not The Same Width In Sound Tab

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dpaterson

Keys Not The Same Width In Sound Tab

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Call me pedantic if you will (although I'll bet it makes a refreshing change that I'm NOT complaining, for once, about the T-RackS 5 issue) BUT has anybody noticed that the keys (the white keys only it would seem) in the Sound tab are not the same width i.e. not a uniform size??? Take a look at C4, D4, and E4 (for example) and you'll see what I mean. Because of this they don't seem to align perfectly with the tracks.

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (65.69 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (49.22 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
Regards,

Dale.
mick

Re: Keys Not The Same Width In Sound Tab

Post by mick »

Samplitude and Reason both have G/A/D keys a little wider.
On a real Piano you will find the black keys either side of G and A are just a little bit tighter than D. 8)
chibear

Post by chibear »

As a further FYI, DP has all the keys the same size as the piano roll notes as suggested in the OP and I have found this very hard to get used to for some reason. I prefer the actual keyboard 'look' in Mixcraft.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

This is to make the keys look somewhat real while maintaning even spacing for the midi notes. Otherwise the black and white keys would all be the same size and look odd, as chibear mentioned.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Good morning all.

Like I said: call me pedantic (or a pain in the ar*e if you prefer)!!! LOL!!!

Makes sense though (now after all your replies that is). In order for the white keys to be of the exact same width the tracks (piano roll tracks) would then not be able to be of the same width. And come to think of it: I am almost sure that it was this way in earlier updates. Anyway. Like I said: makes sense now.

mick:

Funny part is: I have owned and played many many many real pianos in my decades (and I do mean real pianos not some phong kong el cheapo keyboards either) and I have never even given it a second thought up until now!!! LOL!!! You are right. While it may be almost imperceptible you are quite right. And I am never too old to learn!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.
mick

Post by mick »

I noticed it right away! (after 20 years that is!) :lol:
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

So my logic is flawed. The real reason the keys aren't of realistic widths is to conserve file space. The current display requires only 4 white keys. A realistic display would require 8. So you're getting the "economy" version. :?
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

What on earth are you on about??? LOL!!!

Since it was explained to me as to WHY this was the case: I've gotten quite used to the "economy" version!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.
BillW

Post by BillW »

But is it Laurel or Yanny?

And what color is the dress???
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

What on earth are you on about??? LOL!!!
Good, I thought it was just me. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

dpaterson wrote: What on earth are you on about???.
Why the keys arent of equal width. (see OP)

To make them equal requires 8 white key
graphic files. The current oddly width white keys (used by most DAWs) only require 4.

It has nothing to do with keeping the grid rows of equal width as I implied in my first post.
KStech

Post by KStech »

I heard lannil
:arrow: :?:
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.
To make them equal requires 8 white key
graphic files. The current oddly width white keys (used by most DAWs) only require 4.
NOW I get it!!! The "economy version"!!! LOL!!!
It has nothing to do with keeping the grid rows of equal width as I implied in my first post.
I was quite happy, satisfied, and content with your first suggestion!!! Now you've got me all unhappy again!!! So for the sake of saving a few bytes... (only joking!!! LOL!!!).

Regards,

Dale.

P.S. Please don't confuse any further i.e. it's taking everything I have just to get over the fact that after fifty years of playing pianos I never actually realised that the black keys are not equally spaced (thanks to mick). Trying to get my head around this particular issue of the key widths in Mixcraft, given the time I probably have left, could very well be haunting me on my death bed!!! LOL!!!
mick

Post by mick »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think the visually challenged should be aware of this as a "keyboard map" or whatever you wish to call it. :D
Try it with eyes closed and find any key.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have trouble playing drums. Now I realize their different sizes may be factor.

Uh oh. I suddenly noticed the different string diameters on my guitar!

And my banjo's fifth string is missing five frets of length.......

Where does it end AHHHGGG!!!

Maybe I should just stick to a good old fashioned harp.......
Ah crap, just noticed All the strings are different lengths! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page