Vocals in Mixcraft 8 cut out

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GTech

Vocals in Mixcraft 8 cut out

Post by GTech »

Hello everyone,

This has been an ongoing, and frustrating issue for me for a while now. I am hopeful any of you can help me with this :D

I'm using Mixcraft 8 to record Hip-hop vocals, however, when I'm mixing my vocals and apply the plugin iZotope Ozone, there are certain parts of my vocals that cut out. It is completely unusable, even when it's exported as an MP3. I also notice that on the bottom right corner where it indicates CPU usage, it definitely goes higher when I utilize iZotope Ozone. This only occurs when I use the plugin, iZotope Ozone. Using the stock settings to mix my vocals does not give me this issue.

Now I can only assume that it's a CPU usage issue. I have tried freeing space on my computer (I have about 100 gigs free), optimizing it to the best of my abilities, closing applications, adjusting latency/buffer on Mixcraft, but still nothing. I'm still learning how to use iZotpe Ozone and I have seen what its potential is, and I can truly say I cannot go without it.

So I am asking, PLEASE, if someone can help me with this issue I will be forever grateful. If you require any specs or further information from me, please let me know what you need. Thank you in advanced.
Mark Bliss

Re: Vocals in Mixcraft 8 cut out

Post by Mark Bliss »

Forgive me, I was unaware I was attempting to assist a thief.
Last edited by Mark Bliss on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
GTech

Post by GTech »

Thank you for your response!

I can try using the latency/buffer option again. Can you please tell me which settings are the best to use?

I tried the Freezing of tracks, and it still continues to cut out.

What additional info do you need? Please let me know and I will provide it for you.

Thanks again.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Last edited by Mark Bliss on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
GTech

Post by GTech »

The buffering option does not seem to be working. However I have followed this guideline/tutorial of optimizing my PC for best results in Mixcraft:

http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... =4&t=14103

I have noticed that my CPU usage has definitely decreased in Mixcraft, however, the cutting of vocals continues.

Here is some background information that may help:

Recording Equipment:

- Focusrite Scarlette interface 2i2
- Rhode NT1A Microphone

PC:

- AMD Phenom (tm) II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz
- 8 GB RAM
- 64 Bit Operating System
- Windows 7 Home Premium

**I also record in WAVE under Sound Device.

Hope this helps.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

GTech wrote:....when I'm mixing my vocals and apply the plugin iZotope Ozone, there are certain parts of my vocals that cut out. It is completely unusable, even when it's exported as an MP3. I also notice that on the bottom right corner where it indicates CPU usage, it definitely goes higher when I utilize iZotope Ozone. This only occurs when I use the plugin, iZotope Ozone. Using the stock settings to mix my vocals does not give me this issue...
Just to be clear... You get acceptable vocals when you don't use Ozone? (Just trying to rule out the mic as the problem).
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
GTech

Post by GTech »

JonInc wrote:
GTech wrote: Just to be clear... You get acceptable vocals when you don't use Ozone? (Just trying to rule out the mic as the problem).
That is correct. The vocals are perfectly fine WITHOUT applying Ozone.

And to Mark Bliss:

The cutting out of vocals occur during playback. Even when I export the session into a mp3, you can still hear spots of the vocals cutting out. I will upload a sample tonight. And I will also try using the different driver.

Thanks for everyone's input.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Are you using the Ozone plugin on the master bus or individual tracks? Master bus would be the most cpu-efficient... but failing that, it may be that your system isn't powerful enough to run Ozone as a VST plugin.

Have you tried standalone Ozone? (You export the "pre-mastered" stereo wav file from MC 8, then import that into Ozone). Not as surgical as working with individual tracks/buses, but (my guess is) probably uses fewer system resources.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Hi. Had a similiar issue, maybe can help.
I'm also using MixCraft plus Ozone. I had no mixdown problems, however it was almost not possible to work, due to processor usage going 'over' the hundred.
Win7 + Athlon X2 (old as hell) + 4GB upgraded to 16GB (and problem still existed).
I've noticed that with the track stopped, the cpu usage was already high. Shut down the Mixcraft, run windows task manager and the cpu was at 49%!
I've checked for solution and found a lot of stuff to turn off in windows itself (third tab of windows task manager), that is more (updates) or less (everything else) important.
CPU usage went down to 2%. Work like that for pretty long time now, system works perfect and CPU doesn't go over 75% with Ozone on master and a few Neutrons on the tracks, unless some process goes on like antivir update or sth else for the seconds. I can only imagine, it was goin from 49% to 100 and burnin :shock:
So check your task manager for cpu and maybe thats the reason. Also hip-hoppin. 5
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

P.S. The buffer at 2048 and only down for recording.
GTech

Post by GTech »

Hey guys, I know I haven't replied to this thread in a while, but I am still having this issue. I have tried most of everyone's advice and the issue is still reoccurring. Regardless, thank you for everyone's efforts.

Mark Bliss wrote:I'd suggest that using WAVE might be the first thing to change.
I'd download and install the latest driver from the Focusrite website and use ASIO in your sound preferences. Their software should give you better recording performance and more options for buffering/latency settings.
When I am using an ASIO driver, there is no playback when I play my tracks. Mixcraft will play the track, but there is no sound.
Kuba W wrote: I've noticed that with the track stopped, the cpu usage was already high. Shut down the Mixcraft, run windows task manager and the cpu was at 49%!
I've checked for solution and found a lot of stuff to turn off in windows itself (third tab of windows task manager), that is more (updates) or less (everything else) important.
CPU usage went down to 2%. Work like that for pretty long time now, system works perfect and CPU doesn't go over 75% with Ozone on master and a few Neutrons on the tracks, unless some process goes on like antivir update or sth else for the seconds. I can only imagine, it was goin from 49% to 100 and burnin :shock:
So check your task manager for cpu and maybe thats the reason. Also hip-hoppin. 5
Mixcraft is running at around 13%-20% which I considered pretty low, and my vocals are still cutting out. I have sacrificed a lot of resolution settings on my PC (running at the lowest setting), and used the task manager as well. Nothing has changed.
Mark Bliss wrote: So based on the description, I think we are back to suspecting a computer resource issue. Using the Focusrite ASIO driver and adjusting the buffer settings MIGHT help. It would certainly be the next thing I would try.
Also buffer settings aren't helping either. And I have played with a lot of them.

Here is a SAMPLE of my issue: https://www.sendspace.com/file/jrcrwb
GTech

Post by GTech »

JonInc wrote:Are you using the Ozone plugin on the master bus or individual tracks? Master bus would be the most cpu-efficient... but failing that, it may be that your system isn't powerful enough to run Ozone as a VST plugin.

Have you tried standalone Ozone? (You export the "pre-mastered" stereo wav file from MC 8, then import that into Ozone). Not as surgical as working with individual tracks/buses, but (my guess is) probably uses fewer system resources.
I am not quite sure how to use the Master Bus. I tried recording on it, and it didn't work. But I am applying Ozone on individual tracks.

The standalone Ozone option seems a bit much as I would rather a more efficient way than exporting/importing different tracks constantly. Thanks anyway