File format description mx6

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jhogstrom

File format description mx6

Post by jhogstrom »

Hello,

I have 100s of mix CDs in mx6-format. Sometimes I need to find all projects containing a specific song. Looking at the mx6-file it is obvious it is not designed to be read in notepad :)

Is the format described somewhere? Or is there a converter from mx6 => xml or some other easily parsable format available somewhere?

I am aware there are newer versions/formats, but right now I have the projects in mixcraft 6.1.

Given the format I can easily write something to extract the info I need.

Thanks,

--Jesper
Acoustica Greg

Re: File format description mx6

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's a proprietary format. There's no converter or special reader available.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jhogstrom

Post by jhogstrom »

Any chance you non-proprietarize it ever so slightly? For now, all I care about is being able to extract the track names. Or is there any reasonable remote API (REST, COM, CORBA or whatever) that I can use to load named projects and query the application about the content? (Please - no CORBA! :) )

--jesper
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the software developers wouldn't want to devote man-hours to creating a readable format for Mixcraft 6 project files at this late date. There has been a suggestion to create a list of resources included in a project, but if that feature were implemented, it would be in a future version of Mixcraft.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

A friend of mine played around with a hex editor and wrote me a little Python script dependencies checker for Mixcraft files pretty quickly, like under an hour's labor, a couple of years ago.

I don't remember if he said they are storing the audio file resource names in plain text, but if it's not that, it's hex, which would seem to me that if all you need to do is scan a bunch of CD's to match one single string, you yourself have the skills to do that.

Give it a shot. Crack open the .MX6 file on the first CD in a hex editor and see what secrets it reveals!

Once you've found your string, you could probably do the rest with a .BAT file if you wanted to be a show-off.
-Erik