Kontakt 5 Player Routing to Mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Railway Mark

Kontakt 5 Player Routing to Mixcraft

Post by Railway Mark »

I just purchased Shimmer Shake Strike from In Session Audio to alleviate tambourine and shaker recording headaches. It's a Kontakt virtual instrument, and I am using it with the free Kontakt 5 player. Everything is going great, except I can't figure out how to route what I am hearing to a track in Mixcraft 8 so that it is recorded as actual audio. How do I do this?

Kontakt users, much thanks in advance for your help!
ChernobylStudios

Re: Kontakt 5 Player Routing to Mixcraft

Post by ChernobylStudios »

Hi there,

If you can hear the audio, then Kontakt 5 Player has already been properly routed. In order to see/hear it as an actual Audio Clip, you will need to bounce out the output from Kontakt 5 Player and import that audio file back into Mixcraft.
chibear

Post by chibear »

Hi, are you using Kontakt as 'stand alone', or as a vst? In other words did you load the instrument outside of Mixcraft or using the little keyboard icon in a Mixcraft track?

I don't have this particular instrument, but, after watching a couple of videos, it appears similar to NI's West Africa which I do have. On that basis, I suggest you load Kontakt into the track as a vst instrument and then SSS into Kontakt.

There are several videos on my YouTube channel (link in my sig) that address using Kontakt in Mixcraft.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Railway Mark

Post by Railway Mark »

Thanks for your help! To answer your questions...
ChernobylStudios wrote:you will need to bounce out the output from Kontakt 5 Player and import that audio file back into Mixcraft.
Thanks! "Bouncing" or potentially routing to an audio channel is what I'm trying to figure out how to do...
chibear wrote:Hi, are you using Kontakt as 'stand alone', or as a vst? In other words did you load the instrument outside of Mixcraft or using the little keyboard icon in a Mixcraft track?
I'm using the "little keyboard" icon, so as a VSTi within Mixcraft.

SSS contains its own piano roll style editor, so I am creating patterns within the VSTi itself. What I am not clear on, is how to route the audio from SSS to a channel in Mixcraft. I'll check out your tutorials to see if I can figure it out.

Kontakt users: It appears that what I need to do is set up "send" tracks in Mixcraft, which are fed by the aux channels in Kontakt. Is this correct? There has to be a simple and straightforward answer for how to do this.
chibear

Post by chibear »

I just watched the walk-through video. The function is almost identical to NI's West Africa. You program the internal sequencer in the instrument and the sequence is activated by keyswitches (colour keys on the Kontakt keyboard). To get this to record in Mixcraft you either need to draw the keyswitch into the piano roll or record the keyswitch for that pattern from your keyboard for the time you want the sequence to play.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Railway Mark

Post by Railway Mark »

chibear wrote:You program the internal sequencer in the instrument and the sequence is activated by keyswitches (colour keys on the Kontakt keyboard). To get this to record in Mixcraft you either need to draw the keyswitch into the piano roll or record the keyswitch for that pattern from your keyboard for the time you want the sequence to play.
THANK YOU! I managed to get things playing just fine using this information. I was also able set up 3 midi lanes (thanks to your video). Unfortunately, it looks like I will have have to do 3 separate passes anyway to create multiple .wav stem outputs: SSS running in Kontakt Player (free version) doesn't seem to allow me to route to anything other than the "stereo 1" output.

Please fill me in if it sounds like I am missing anything. I at least at this point have a working solution :)
Railway Mark

Post by Railway Mark »

I inquired with In Session Audio (makers of SSS) and they replied with the following:
----------
"Kontakt Player can route to multiple outputs, but by default, it's setup in a stereo configuration.
Until Kontakt is setup with additional outputs (and then closed out and re-opened) Shimmer Shake Strike will not show any additional outputs.

I might suggest you Google "Multiple outputs Kontakt and *your sequencer*" and find a video that outlines how to setup Kontakt in this way with your host."

Alternatively, Native Instruments shows how to do it here:
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... -Sequencer
----------
Hopefully, this info. will help others, should they run into the same confusion down the road. Between this and chibear's help, everything should be good-to-go!