Recording midi in Loop Mode.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kb420

Recording midi in Loop Mode.

Post by kb420 »

I'm not a Mixcraft user, but I have a question about Mixcraft that I can't seem to find a clear answer on. In Mixcraft, if I wanted to record, say, 4 bars of midi, and I have Mixcraft set up in loop mode, what happens once Mixcraft reaches the end of the 4 bars and loops around to the beginning? Is Mixcraft setup so that no matter what recording mode you are in (takes, overdub, or replace), Mixcraft will add a new lane on each pass? Is there some type of "overdub and merge" lanes when recording midi in loop mode so that you can have one nice and neat consolidated midi clip when finished?
Mark Bliss

Re: Recording midi in Loop Mode.

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hello and welcome.

Recording modes are described pretty clearly in the users guide, starting on page 118.
You would probably want "takes" mode, which adds a lane for each looped period as you record.
In "overdub" mode, you can hear the previously recorded loop play, which is useful for instance if you want to quickly create stacked parts.
In "replace" mode, it does just that. No new lane is created.
https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/mixcraft-manual.php

The last part of your question isn't clear to me, but you can of course edit and arrange the recorded MIDI in many ways.

The best suggestion I could make would be to give the users guide a study, download the free trial of Mixcraft and give it a road test, and let us know if you have any more questions!
Its about as intuitive and user friendly a DAW as you are going to find, yet pretty powerful and flexible.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
kb420

Post by kb420 »

Mark Bliss wrote:The last part of your question isn't clear to me, but you can of course edit and arrange the recorded MIDI in many ways.

The best suggestion I could make would be to give the users guide a study, download the free trial of Mixcraft and give it a road test, and let us know if you have any more questions!
Its about as intuitive and user friendly a DAW as you are going to find, yet pretty powerful and flexible.
Here is a video describing EXACTLY what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0J1FQP ... y&index=23

Tracktion refers to what I am talking about as "Merge newly recorded MIDI into existing clips". Basically, you can loop a number of bars, and with each pass you can ADD midi into the same clip and there will be no additional lanes created no matter how many passes occur. All of your midi data from all of the passes are all located in one consolidated midi clip, and there no additional lanes. This is really nice if you are building drum patterns.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft doesn't have an option to do that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
kb420

Post by kb420 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Mixcraft doesn't have an option to do that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Ok. Thanks for the reply.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Actually Greg, you can cover clips and merge the information together. Take a midi clip, cover it with another clip, select all clips on the track and click merge. The info from both clips will now be on one midi clip. :D
kb420

Post by kb420 »

outteh wrote:Actually Greg, you can cover clips and merge the information together. Take a midi clip, cover it with another clip, select all clips on the track and click merge. The info from both clips will now be on one midi clip. :D
I knew that there was a way to do that, and it's funny because Sonar works the same way. I just think that those extra steps shouldn't be mandatory just to have a nice and neat consolidated clip. In Cubase, Studio One, and Tracktion, you can set up the recording mode so those extra few steps aren't necessary, and lanes are merged automatically. It's not that I'm against that workflow, but it's just that I think I should at least have an option of how I would like to work.
DavidWT

Post by DavidWT »

This is kind of an old thread, but I have the same question as the original poster, and while I understand that the answer was "no" in 2018, I'm wondering if it's changed since then....

Specifically, I would like to be able to overdub MIDI without new lanes being created. I know I can merge the lanes afterwards, but it's an extra step that I never had to do when using Cakewalk, and since I've gotten used to Cakewalk's method over the past several years, I'm finding the lanes a bit tedious (though I can certainly see how they would be helpful in some cases.)

Right now, I'm just playing around with the 30-day trial, and overall, I do like what I see, but has the ability to overdub without creating new lanes been added yet? If so, how do I set up Mixcraft to do that? (Even if it doesn't overdub into a single MIDI clip, I'd just prefer if all overdubs went onto the same lane.)
Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, that's not an option. The lanes are still created.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101