Switch to 64 bit?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

pjcorn

Switch to 64 bit?

Post by pjcorn »

I bought Mixcraft 6 new and have upgraded to 7 then to 8pro. All along I've used the 32 bit version. Is there a reason I should use the 64 bit version instead? And if I do, can I still pull up all the Mixcraft files of songs I created using the 32 bit version?
Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Re: Switch to 64 bit?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The 64-bit version allows Mixcraft to access more than 4 GB of RAM (if your computer has it), and it also allows you to use 64-bit plugins. The audio quality is the same. You can open projects you made in 32-bit Mixcraft, and 32-bit Mixcraft can load 64-bit Mixcraft projects (except for any 64-bit plugins in the project).

You can have both 32- and 64-bit installed at the same time to see which you like best. If you use a lot of 32-bit plugins, then 32-bit Mixcraft may run more smoothly for you, since it takes a bit of extra processing to run 32-bit plugins in 64-bit Mixcraft.

64-bit can offer an advantage if you are using plugins that require tons of RAM, like some of the symphonic sample-based plugins.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

All 32 bit OS's are limited to 4GB of ram and the amount actually available is usually less than that, so any app demanding more than 4 will run way slower, hang, or crash. Windows 10 Home x64's limit is 128GB. Windows 10 Pro is 2TB.

I run both 32 & 64 bit versions of everything I have. Since I started out using 32 bit progs (MC and others), I find it helpful to put x64 in the project file name if I open and save 32 bit projects in the 64 bit version. That way I won't open them in the wrong program and get a bunch of warnings.

Most plugins work fine in 32 bit, but as mentioned there are some heavily sampled instruments that work a lot better with 64. I kept crashing 32 bit MC while trying to open a large Kontakt instrument.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, for me it was a sign when some of the third party applications I wanted to run were only available in 64 bit.

Then I found that larger/more complex "mixed" 32/64 bit projects weren't working as well as they could and I therefore began to migrate to all 64 bit plug ins.
Unfortunately this takes some time researching and accumulating more third party plug ins.....

I have 32 bit Mixcraft installed, but haven't opened it in a LONG time. all my "new" work has been 64 bit for quite a while. Its just there in case I need to open an old project. Which quite honestly, doesn't happen...... They are either done or abandoned I guess.

That's not to say 32 bit is "bad" or that moving to 64 bit is right for you...... 32 bit worked great for me.

I think my answer for the OP is- when you really need to migrate to 64 bit, you will know it.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
pjcorn

Post by pjcorn »

Thanks Everyone!