Strange MIDI behaviors

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Kuba W

Strange MIDI behaviors

Post by Kuba W »

Hi. I've got two midi issues that I don't understand. First case concerns only one track in one project, and the other happens from time to time, just got the good, clear example now.

Case1:
The problematic track is made of Messiah (max wave morphing) with Fusion Field (church ambience).
I made a beat some time ago and now want to record to it. I've got an export that I like, but I have to extend it and also record in full project, not to one wave only. But every time I do the export, that sound eventually differs (every time other way) from original project and that one lucky wave. Same with mixing down to new audio track. What's more, when tidying projects, I used 'save to folder' option, and the new project also plays different than original. So, even if this is a nature of that vst to play or export different every time, then shouldn't be copy a 1:1 after new project file is created inside Mixcraft?
All I can do now, is to cut the original wave in new project, extend it, and so - forget about some percussion arrangements for example. Any suggestions what to do, to have the same wave export every time and also same sound in newly created copy of the project?
(In one old tutorial, some guy suggests to put the quiet clips in front of the project track, to let Mixcraft recognize the vst, and so - play correct from the first sound. Didn't work).

Case2:
MC1.jpg
MC1.jpg (471.98 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
Picture shows a part of a big project, however it's only the numbered track that I'm about.
- if I start playing from bar 23 or 25 - clip '2' won't play
- if I start from 21 or earlier - it will (so it's not the master automation or sth like that)
- if I start from bar 49 - clip '4' will play (3/4 is a copy of 1/2)
- if I copy clip '4', delete and replace '2', same as above happen (so it's not the clip error)
What makes the sounds not playing sometimes? I would understand if this is the first sound of the track...
It happens in different projects and variations, not depending on vst used or how advanced the project is. Luckily, it's not to often (5/6 times in about 50 projects maybe), and this time makes no harm (full song plays right, export is correct) but still - it's unwanted, and sometimes cost me a lot of hustle to make the things right. Can it be some bug in my interface, system or the Mixcraft itself? Currently MC8 412, but it happens since I started with 7.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Strange MIDI behaviors

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In regard to the first issue, try mixing down to a wav file that has the same sample rate you're using in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences. If you're using a sample rate of 48000 Hz in sound device preferences, mix down to a wav file with a sample rate of 48000 Hz. Click Edit Details, then Specify Settings/Configure when you go to mix down to wav.

In regard to the second issue, make sure that the clips are not overlapping at all. If there is a tiny bit of overlap, the "note off" at the end of the first MIDI note will override the "note on" at the start of the next. If that's not it, you can just select the two clips and press Ctrl+W to merge them.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Everything I work with is set to 44.100, even with videos in Vegas I stick to 44.1, and I really try to maintain all the main settings available. In this one, I'm shure it's something to do with that particular vst preset. To picture it a little, that is only a 4 hits background E4 F4 E4 F4 clip, that is multiplied through the whole track, but each clip plays differently (and by now it was not even acceptable, but wanted, makes the whole show). But when it comes to the export, it seems to change the order of this chaotic sounds, even if no changes were done in the project. Every export will be different. Like I said, even exporting whole project to the new folder will make it play differently inside Mixcraft. It only plays the same way in original project.

And about the second one. Like I wrote below the picture, if you place carret at bar 21 or before it will play, and also clips 3/4 are a copy of 1/2 and they play correct. If you swap them, it will be the same bars not playing, not the clips. There's no overlapping, no automation etc. It's just like some lottery, no-because-no, I'd like to find the reason. Other time for example, I had a one-sound clip looped through the whole track. All were playing continiously from the beginning of the clip to the end, but one only as a single 'beep'. Replacing the single clip or even a group didn't help. No matter what you do, the crooked one is always in the same place. But no automation. And unlike the one from the post, it was also affecting the export.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In regard to the first issue, try it again, and if it happens, quit Mixcraft and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

In regard to the second problem, this issue had been reported earlier, and I have a bug report filed on it. Did you try my suggestion of selecting the two clips and merging them (Ctrl+W)?

Also, the problem seems to be related to buffer size. What is your playback device? Are you using the soundcard that's built into your computer?

Greg
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

OK, I'll try to prepare this log file, but I need to know when. You say 'if it happens again' - do you mean right after I do the export and again it's different than project?

And about the second one. No, I didn't merge them, as this would fix the problem, but not the reason of the problem. The export is correct, so I didn't need to. But if in any way it will help you with diagnostics, I can merge them and tell you what happened.

My device is an Yamaha Audiogram 6 interface with Steinberg's Asio drivers. The buffer is permanently set to 2048 and only goes down to 128/256 for recording.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, if you mix down and the mixed-down file sounds different, quit MIxcraft and send your log file.

As I said, I have a bug report filed on that second problem. Merging the clips is a good workaround.

Greg
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

OK. I've sent the log. Before sending it, I did the export twice, one after another (both differ from project and between themselves), so maybe you can compare it somehow. To be honest, I'd give up with this, thinking that this is how this vst/preset works, but then why does the old export sound exactly the same as the project? Anybody had some strange experiences with Messiah / max wave morphing?

About the second one - merging works like you said. Next time I'm back to any of the handicapped projects I will go that way.

And your captcha is a pure evil. Took me 6-7 times to prove I'm not the robot 8)
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Hi! Thanks for your report answer. Instead of making the sample project, I just made the sample wav to picture the issue. It contains the 3 runs of the very beginning of the same project: https://www.sendspace.com/file/et4rsc
As you can hear, there's a slight difference everytime, and this affects the exports all way long. I attach the picture that shows the same:
3 Exports.jpg
3 Exports.jpg (104.3 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
This is my only project with this issue. I think I'll record to the old export and that's it...
Thanks for your efforts anyway!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What is it about that project? Can you make a simple sample project so we can get the problem to happen here? Which factor causes this to happen? Is it a certain effect?

Greg
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Yes, shure I can, but you would have to lead me a little on how to make it just right. Or I can send you my original project if you promise not to rap on it :lol:
Like I said above, it's one-track-only issue and it's Messiah (max wave morphing) with Fusion Field (church ambience).
What does this sample project has to contain? That 'broken' track only? Some more? Include the master plugins to?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Just the minimum to make the problem happen, so we can isolate what's going on.

Greg
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

I have soloed that track and here's what I've got: 2nd and 3rd exports are the same, but still different than inside project, and the 1st one differ completely
Solo Exports.jpg
Solo Exports.jpg (228.05 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Then I've soloed again and turned off all the master plugins. The differences are barely visible due to the fallen loudness, but with the closer look you can see them all the way long.
Solo Master Off.jpg
Solo Master Off.jpg (111.29 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
I'm gonna send you a project with this track only, as it seems to be the only factor possible. Should I send it as a response to your email?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, go ahead and send it as a reply to my email.

Greg