Computer

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kpinks

Computer

Post by kpinks »

Hello, just wondering what computers people are using for recording music? RAM? CPU speed? Soundcard?
Thanks in advance
grumpysnake

Re: Computer

Post by grumpysnake »

Hi kpinks,
As you can see most of my computer gear is in my signature, however I do love going into detail about gear I have got... :lol:

Starting off with the first question is my main recording system, it's a custom build that I built maybe around 4 years ago now it has 8GB Ram, an AMD A10-7700K CPU which at stock runs at 3.4GHz however if needed this can be OC to around 4 I believe, however overclocking and such is beyond me so I wouldn't be any use there. It's also running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit because I couldn't get on with Windows 10 :x.
For the soundcard question, I'm currently rocking a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and seeing as most of my work is final mixes from stems recorded at other band members places as well as due to the amount of tracking I do these days I opted for a cheaper alternative from something that would cost a higher price thanks to its I/O. For audio output as this is sorta soundcard related I'm currently using the M-Audio BX5's which IMO are some great speakers if you are on a budget and some of the greatest studio speakers I have owned at this price. To top it all off I also use a Nvidia GTX 760 graphics card in order to increase my workflow by using multiple monitors.

Lastly, I use a second system dedicated to project archiving/backups, preset holding and all that good stuff. As a server would be it isn't great to use as a standard machine but does it's intended job quite well. I bought this rig from Dell around 2 years ago mainly because of the stock drives that they used to come with, with these I am able to run larger projects through the 'networked' drive saving resources on my main rig (basically it acts like a huge usb external drive as such). This system runs Windows Server 2008 R2, an Intel Xeon E3-1270 processor clocked at 3.5Ghz and 8GB of RAM

That's enough of me rambling about my gear and I'm interested to see what others add to this thread. 8)

-J
Windows 10 Pro x64, AMD FX8350
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
MX7, MX8, Waves Mercury Bundle, Melodyne Assistant
Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 12
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
Northfield.Lenox

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

6 months ago I purchased an ASUS Zenbook UX430 - Love it, have had no issues related to loading up instruments or effects. I keep all the apps, instruments ans sample banks on the SSD.

Intel Core™ i7-8550U
16GB DDR4 RAM,
512GB SSD storage
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Having a multi-core processor helps, and so does a fast hard drive (7200 RPM).
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
kpinks

Post by kpinks »

Thanks for the info guys!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

This has of course been discussed a time or two....
But I wouldn't fault anyone for not searching. The function isn't great IMO. So heres a little assist:
(Old threads, but some tips may still be useful)

https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewto ... ons#p93354

https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewto ... ons#p89571

https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewto ... ons#p60243
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Search tip -- use Google, like so:

SEARCH TERM site:forums.acoustica.com
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101