Lanes and MIDI

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mick

Lanes and MIDI

Post by mick »

Lanes are a great feature but not for midi. lanes for midi are next to useless I have to say.
Mixcraft needs to be able to open a midi track for each multitimbral output, so if the multitimbral instrument has flute / oboe / piano / string, on midi tracks 1,2,3,4 Mixcraft needs 4 midi tracks to open for each. So where we "add track" from a choice of instrument/audio/submix etc the one important selection for "add midi track" is not there.
Also "add track" should include Tempo mapping to compliment the tempo "flags" 8)
Acoustica Greg

Re: Doubling MIDI Notes in Piano Roll

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Why do you say that lanes are useless for MIDI? They are needed for multi-timbral plugins like Kontakt, for one thing.

My suggestion works, and it's less confusing than having notes hidden under other notes.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

Greg, I didn't say your suggestion deosn't work but I cannot get Expand 2 to work with the lanes and midi tracks.
I setup 2 lanes and 2 instruments within Expand 2 (4 instrument multitimbral) and set lane 1 to midi channel 1 and lane 2 to midi channel 2 and same with Expand. The 2 programs are not talking to each other, I have to put both on midi channel 1 then I can hear both instruments. In addition, Mixcraft doesn't record midi events in lanes. However, If I use 2 instances of Expand and 2 instrument tracks and then Assign the midi channels 1 and 2 to tracks 1 and 2 I can record and edit both when recording is finished, I cannot do this with lanes. If I'm missing something I'll stand being corrected so I'm gonna try this again later and report back. 8)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I don't have Xpand 2 here, but setting up lanes to do multi-timbral sound works just fine as far as we know. When you say the two programs are not talking to each other, what do you mean, exactly? We should probably take this to a separate topic.

Mixcraft 8 adds the "Route to Track" option, which allows you to route multiple tracks into one instance of a multi-timbral instrument. Have you tried that?

Greg

Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

I just spent at least an hour making a reply with detailed pics and examples as to why lanes don't work for midi and when I clicked on "submit" the whole thing disapeared. :shock:

Briefly, if you setup a number of lanes, lets say a full 16 midi part multitimbral instrument, only one lane records and you then have to copy that single midi part to all the other lanes and assign midi channels. In addition, any FX insert cannot be assigned to a lane, only the track containing the 16 instruments.
That's why lanes don't work for midi but a separate midi track controlling a specific midi channel does.

This where I recorded to one lane then copied to the other 3 to control channels 1,2,3,4 in Expand2.
Full screen.PNG
Full screen.PNG (509.66 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
banzailoco

Re: Lanes and MIDI

Post by banzailoco »

HA! HA!
I just spent at least an hour making a reply with detailed pics and examples as to why lanes don't work for midi and when I clicked on "submit" the whole thing disappeared. :shock:
That's why I use notepad. :)
Topcheese

Post by Topcheese »

What else would you want to use lanes for?

The only thing to look out with Xpand2 is that it only uses midi channels 1-4, so you have to make sure that the midi in the clip is also set to the right midi channel. I'd sometimes run into the same problem with it and had to edit the Program Channel in the clip.

I think the lane feature is one of the best things going for MC. I've been using some other DAWs lately, and I can tell you that this is one feature I miss.

Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane!
Windows 10 build 16299
AMD A8-6410 @ 2GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Sonar V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49
YMMV :roll: :arrow: https://www.reverbnation.com/dirtbom
mick

Post by mick »

Topcheese asks What else would you want to use lanes for?

Comping! I did say at the beginning that lanes are a great feature. Creating a chorus voice as in the Mixcraft academy vids is another example. No problem with lanes only the way midi channels are confined to them instead of having their own tracks. 8)
tongsong

Post by tongsong »

when i m using Kontakt for strings section or brass section , if i have to export the mid tracks for notation, lanes juz gives me 1 single tracks for all the instrument combined, i have to manually duplicate all tracks and delete one by one to make each part a single track, so its way much convient to have selectable midi tracks , to select midi channels and synth(already existed) output
aj113

Post by aj113 »

banzailoco wrote:HA! HA!
I just spent at least an hour making a reply with detailed pics and examples as to why lanes don't work for midi and when I clicked on "submit" the whole thing disappeared. :shock:
That's why I hit CTRL+A then CTRL+C before hitting submit.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

aj113 wrote:
banzailoco wrote:
That's why I hit CTRL+A then CTRL+C before hitting submit.
Yes, and yes. Good practice, I've done both. :idea:
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface