Sound Cutting Out

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

TheHound

Sound Cutting Out

Post by TheHound »

I think this is more of a Windows 7 problem but it happens more with Mixcraft that with Youtube.

Running Mixcraft 6.1

Sound will play for a few seconds to a few minutes then in stops and won't work again until I close and restart Mixcraft. With Youtube is comes back after I stop and restart the video. I don't think it is a resource problem because it happens with low CPU usage and low system use.

Windows says "Device is operating properly."

Here is what I've done so far.

Cussed! Al lot.

Updated the Driver for Conexant Smart Audio HD

Restored Default even though I never changed settings

Close and restart Mixcraft

Closed and restarted computer. The sound will play for a short time and then cut out and not come back until I restart Mixcraft.

It is not specific to any project as it does it with a few tracks and a lot of tracks.

This problem has been going on for months intermittently. It will stop for a week or two and then comes back.

Please think about making a Mac version of Mixcraft. I need to get a new computer and I really don't want the hassles and spying of Window 10 and I don't want to pay a geek to debug it.
Mark Bliss

Re: Sound Cutting Out

Post by Mark Bliss »

Does this happen in YT when Mixcraft isn't open in Windows? Or only when Mixcraft is also open?

Seems to me the description would lead to a soundcard/driver issue. But more details might be needed to verify.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

Mark Bliss wrote:Does this happen in YT when Mixcraft isn't open in Windows? Or only when Mixcraft is also open?

Seems to me the description would lead to a soundcard/driver issue. But more details might be needed to verify.
Diagnostics say that sound card drivers are fine.

When mixcraft is open and it cuts out, other programs lose sound such as games, YT and Window Media Player. As soon as a closed Mixcraft windows media started working. When Youtube cuts out, if I stop the pause the video and start it gain it works.

The frustrating thing is, sometimes Mixcraft will run fine for weeks. Then for no apparent reason it will play for a while and the sound will cut out. The meters still move. The only way to get it to play is to close it and reopen it but more often than not it plays sound for a minute and then the sound stops. Very frustrating.

Up until the last few months Mixcraft has been quite reliable and a pleasure to use.

Yes, it does seem what when I close Mixcraft the other sound applications work but then again I have tried so many things that could be a coincidence. The will be a huge pain in the neck to diagnose.

Now I'm thinking it is a Mixcraft issue but I don't know. I guess I just have to keep trying stuff. Is there a diagnostic tool for Mixcraft? Would making some changes in Preferences help? :?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

TheHound wrote:Diagnostics say that sound card drivers are fine.
I would put very little faith in Windows system diagnostics for this purpose. I have had (for example) it say everything is fine for a completely inoperative audio card/driver. At best that response means it shows being installed as intended IMO.

There are some sound device settings that intentionally bypass other playback devices when the DAW is open, to reduce latency.

The next important thing to take a look at is your sound device settings in Mixcraft preferences, assuming we can confirm this is only happening when Mixcraft is open.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

It appears you edited the end of your post slightly while I was typing a reply.

Yes, we need to know what your sound device settings are in preferences.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

Mark Bliss wrote:
TheHound wrote:Diagnostics say that sound card drivers are fine.
I would put very little faith in Windows system diagnostics for this purpose. I have had (for example) it say everything is fine for a completely inoperative audio card/driver. At best that response means it shows being installed as intended IMO.

There are some sound device settings that intentionally bypass other playback devices when the DAW is open, to reduce latency.

The next important thing to take a look at is your sound device settings in Mixcraft preferences, assuming we can confirm this is only happening when Mixcraft is open.
I know that Windows misreports but Toshiba diagnostics also gave it a clean bill of health and when I closed Mixcraft the other programs started working. I don't think think it's a coincidence but I could be wrong,

If I use exclusive mode that will block sound in other programs. When Mixcraft is opened the other programs will play sound intermittently. Sometimes I take a break from mixing and play chess against the computer and sometimes the sounds cut out and when I return to mix Mixcraft is not working. I close Mixcraft, and reopen it. It plays sound for up to 5 minutes and then it stops. I restart my computer, shutdown all the crap in Task Manager and start to mix. It plays sound for a while and then stops.

So far with Mixcraft closed, all the other programs that use sound and youtube work fine even when there is high system use.

I'll try more stuff.

Thanks for you input. :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I answered over here.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101