Slate Digital Plugins Crashing

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Brother Charles

Slate Digital Plugins Crashing

Post by Brother Charles »

I'm using the latest builds of Slate's VTM, VCC, and VMR. I can instantiate the plugins to a project and they work - until I try to reload said project. If I save the work, and attempt to reopen the file, Mixcraft crashes. I am not using VST3 versions .

Win 10 x64 - 1703 - optimized for pro-level audio production.

No issues of this kind with Studio One Pro 3.x or 4.x; Ableton Live 9 Suite, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk (Bandlab), Samplitude Pro X2 or X3; or Bitwig Studio 1.35. For the record, none of these other DAWs had issues with IK Multimedia's MODO Bass or T-Racks 5 either . . . jus' sayin'.

Anyhooo, in order to work with this old project file, which I've carefully migrated from Mixcraft 6, I NEED to be able to reopen the file. Please remind me how I go about submitting a support ticket, please.

** ÉDIT **
Certain plug-in combinations also cause Samplitude Pro X3 to choke. So far, it appears (to me) that under WINDOWS 10, Lexicon LXP reverbs (build 1.2.2) and Slate FG-X (build 1.4.0) and possibly VTM build (1.1.13) cannot play nicely together. This speculation is formed after scouring the Windows event logs and a lengthy “process of elimination”. My other DAWs haven’t this issue — Only Mixcraft and Samplitude. It’s also more prevalent using ASIO drivers. WaveRT bears up a little better, but does still crash.
Last edited by Brother Charles on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
Acoustica Greg

Re: Slate Digital Plugins Crashing

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Looks like you succeeded in submitting a support request. We'll reply ASAP.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

I was moseying around google and stumbled on this.....
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128073
Brother Charles

Although it is far from an ideal solution, I have found a work-a-round that seems to have put the issue to rest. Instead of using the most current (and functional) version of Lexicon LXP Reverb bundle, I've started using an old build - v1.1.1.9. This installer dates back to 2011 and unfortunately the plug-ins don't respond to typing input -- fiddly mouse control only to adjust parameters. Personally, I really like being able to precisely type in a parameter value, but I digress. At least now, I can continue working in Samplitude Pro X3 and Mixcraft with my beloved Lexxies. C'mon, man! Ya gotta love that Lexicon Sound for certain tracks.

To be honest, I don't use Mixcraft too much anymore, but I do need it working so that I can open up old projects from 4 - 8 years ago. I'll always have a big soft spot in my heart for Acoustica and Mixcraft, and I do still enjoy tweaking my old Mixcraft v4,v5, & v6 projects with access to side-chaining, 64 bit memory, and greatly improved DAW features and performance. I don't bother with the bundled plug-ins, but at least they're in there for folks who are just starting out, or who can't afford pro plugins: eg. Retirees, college students, teen bedroom producers, and so forth. Plus, Acoustica's EDU licensing is wonderful. Acoustica is a great team of dedicated folks and they nicely fill a much-needed niche on the digital landscape.

The "big" pro-grade DAWs are created for professional engineers and so forth. However, it's great that Mixcraft is the affordable "musician's DAW".

I find that Mixcraft often has stability/performance issues with VST3 plug-ins. Mixcraft doesn't always deal well with OpenGL-driven GUIs -- such as found in certain Waves, FabFilter, Melda Production and Softube plugins, for example. However, as of v8.1.413, it is doing better. A less-than-ideal workaround is to disable OpenGL rendering in plug-ins that support the option. Mind you, I'm using Intel HD630 GFX so maybe systems outfitted with discreet ATI GPUs fare better. Nvidia GPUs are not a good choice in this scenario, but Intel has always been strong as is ATI/AMD.

Okie doke. . . . enough of this preacher's ramblings for this post.

Thanks for Greg and Eric for taking the time and bother to investigate and get the support ticket ball rolling. I think I've figured out the cause of the reported issue myself, however.

I will also contact the "almost non-existent" tech support over at Harman/Lexicon to inquire from them whether or not recent builds of their LXP and PCM bundles incorporate OpenGL acceleration for the plugin GUIs.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

This may or may not be relevant, and I don't know what OS you're on, but the Lexicon website doesn't show any product support past Windows 7 for the products you mentioned.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
Brother Charles

Thomas wrote:This may or may not be relevant, and I don't know what OS you're on, but the Lexicon website doesn't show any product support past Windows 7 for the products you mentioned.
Read OP. I state my OS. ;)
You’re correct in that Win 10 isn’t specifically mentioned on the Lex site, just Windows 64 bit (general).
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Brother Charles wrote:Read OP. I state my OS. ;)
You’re correct in that Win 10 isn’t specifically mentioned on the Lex site, just Windows 64 bit (general).
Understood :)
Hopefully your log file will be used to solve your issue and make Mixcraft that much better for us all.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface