Microphones

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Stratocaster

Microphones

Post by Stratocaster »

Hi,

My daughter (20) would like to do some singing and I wonder if you could recommend a decent vocal microphone for use with Mixcraft 7. She has quite a soft singing voice so I guess it would have to be pretty sensitive?

Thanks,

Mick
Rolling Estonian

Re: Microphones

Post by Rolling Estonian »

A condenser mic is the way to go for vocals, particularly if it's a quiet voice. What's your budget? You can get decent condensers for not so much, my first condenser was Audio Technica AT 2020, nothing spectacular but a great starting mic.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

That is a good entry level choice for a studio condenser IMO. Assuming you have an interface that supports phantom power.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... microphone

The deal on the whole outfit, mic, shock mount, pop filter stand and cable is pretty nice if that's what you need.

I've used an AT2020, and would agree with the reviews that describe it as "easily comparable to mics starting at three times the price" Or more. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

What mic you buy has nothing to do with what DAW you're using, but anyway......it depends what "would like to do some singing" means. If she's just into recording her voice for fun and not doing any "serious" recording, I wouldn't even spend $100. The Behringer C1 and MXL 67 are both about half that and IMO better than the AT2020 anyway. Very nice mics. Start there. If she gets more serious about it, she might want to start looking at upgrading down the line, but be aware that mics are generally very much a point of diminishing returns esp in this day and age; spending tons more won't necessarily get you a huge diff.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

spending tons more won't necessarily get you a huge diff.
Man, I couldn't agree more.

That C1 might also be a good first choice.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Thx - I made sure to say "generally" because of course it can vary. Honestly I think it's hard to buy a truly bad mic today (probably when you get sub-$50 there are some clunkers, but even among them I bet there are some pleasant surprises), just better or worse relative to others and again depends on what it's being used for etc.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Bear in mind that you will need to purchase a USB interface, which will need to include an XLR input that supplies phantom power. Furthermore, condenser mics, being very sensitive, will require a stand; such is their sensitivity that holding them by hand will likely cause unwanted noise. Then you will need to check whether the microphone is supplied with a cable, which is not usually the case.

I agree that the Behringer C1 should suffice. The AT2020, apart from being more expensive, is somewhat darker sounding and more suited to rock vocals. However, beware of the very cheap and colourful Chinese products on Amazon and eBay that claim to be of 'studio quality', because they tend to be utter rubbish.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I can recommend the Audio-Technica AT2010, which has the same cartridge as the AT2020, but is geared also for live stage performance where you might want more separation and also less handling noise. There's a kit for this model also which is a great deal and I would have picked up the kit if it was available when I got mine. I don't know the C1, but at half the cost, it's definitely worth looking into. As others have said, you need an interface with phantom power, since these are active and not passive mics.

To take it a step further, you can consider which mics would be more suitable for her voice: Some mics may be better for females or males and emphasize or de-emphasize certain frequencies. You could also have her try out mics at local retailers assuming they allow this, to see which models she likes. And if you accompany her, you can give her an uncolored opinion because our own voices sound different to us than they do to bystanders.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

If she is starting out, it wont make a lot of difference but she will require headphones as well and also a pop shield. As Mark has suggested, you might want to consider one of the bundle packs that include headphones, condenser microphone, shock mount, cable and pop shield.

You don't mention whether or not if you have an audio interface to plug the microphone into. Some of the bundle packs include an interface as well.

For someone starting out, nothing will replace a few lessons from a singing teacher to get the voice in shape. This is money well spent if you can find the right teacher focused on singing songs.

If she progresses, she will want to upgrade her equipment later anyway.
Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster »

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I hope this reply goes to all.

I have to say that I'm pretty new to Mixcraft. I'm OK with recording guitars and stuff but haven't tried vocals before. Well, I've tried using my forty year old SM58 and it doesn't sound that good. My daughter is a relative beginner to singing and certainly has no ambitions to become a 'pop star' but we both want to have a good go at it and (within reason) money isn't a problem. I have a M-Audio interface which I use for guitar but I have no idea what phantom power is and what relevance it has to microphone performance. Maybe someone can explain. Impedance is a bit of a mystery too! The AT2020 sounds good. Should I start there?

Thanks again,

Mick
Rolling Estonian

Recording vocals is an art in and of itself so you could spend a TON of time researching etc. Sounds like you and your daughter are having a blast together which is awesome! Like I said, the AT2020 was my first condenser and worked out great for me, I'm just a hobbyist though so, like you two, I'm doing this just for fun. Others have mentioned less expensive/cheaper mics, yes you can get a decent sounding condenser for less but like everything else, you invariably get what you pay for. IMO of course. For $100 you really can't beat the AT2020 and if you look around alot of places offer mic packages which will include a mic cable and stand. Either way, the most important thing is having fun and spending time with your daughter! Enjoy yourselves, time goes too quick, mine just got her license and is already gone for the summer....... Sigh......

M
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Stratocaster wrote:
I have a M-Audio interface which I use for guitar but I have no idea what phantom power is and what relevance it has to microphone performance.
A quick, basic and simplified answer-

Condenser Mics - Uses 48 Volt phantom power. A lot of mixers, mic preamps and interfaces have phantom power integrated. Usually turned on and off by a switch. Real sensitive, louder and delicate then other mics. Best for vocals and studio work. Contains more electronic circuitry and therefore more susceptible to noise and distortion. Some can also be powered by batteries.

Dynamic Mics - ( Your Shure SM 58 is a dynamic) Simpler and more rugged. Can handle louder input such as guitar cabinets and kick drums . Less sensitive therefore less noise from surroundings such as wind.Does not require power.

USB MIcs - New to the game. They use the 5 Volts on the USB buss to digitize the signal and send the digital audio through the USB port straight into the computer. Normally used for podcast and talking.
Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster »

Hi Rolling Estonian,

I wonder if you got my message to you asking what you thought of this bundle

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... Bundle/F9B

Cheers,

Mick
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Simple answer: Go for it. You appear to have everything you need there in one convenient package.
Rolling Estonian

That should do the trick just fine!

Keep in mind that a condenser is very sensitive, so definitely great for quiet voices but likes quiet spaces as it'll pick up A LOT.

You mentioned you had an SM 58, they're very capable for home recording too, though you said it was too quiet. How high can you turn up the gain? Sometimes you really have to give it some to get a good signal. You should probably pick up a SM 57 to make sure you have all of your bases covered!

M