Variable EQ sections?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

guitbuddy

Variable EQ sections?

Post by guitbuddy »

Hey guys,

I need different EQ settings, on different sections of my song. Is this possible? Easy?

thanks
Rolling Estonian

Re: Variable EQ sections?

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Yes, you can eq each track, groups of tracks and your entire project. MC has a good video on sub mixes, it's MC7 but it'll apply to 8.
https://youtu.be/HCZiZIKbGnM

M
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

thank you Rolling Estonian ,

I will check it out!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

You can also automate EQ settings as well, if that's what you mean?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

hi Mark, not sure what you mean?

Im talking about different EQ for different bars of a song.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Assuming you aren't using Mixcraft Home Studio version- (No track automation feature)

Heres a simple example of one of many, many possibilities.
First: Choose your EQ of choice, (The exact range of possibilities and methods will vary some depending on your choice) In this example I am using Nova- a free third party plug in.

Lets say I wanted to add some low end to this track, just during the chorus sections.
I inserted Nova on the desired track and experimented until I got the desired result, in this case about a 4.5 dB low shelf boost below around 200 Hz.
Low shelf boost.png
Low shelf boost.png (204.57 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Then I created an automation lane on the desired track:
Automation lane.png
Automation lane.png (12.22 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
And selected the desired function in the plug in, In this case its called "band 1 active"
Creating a control to turn the selected band of the EQ on and off as the track plays.
Band 1 Active.png
Band 1 Active.png (168.73 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
By drawing in the automation points in the desired locations:
Toggle Band 1.png
Toggle Band 1.png (34.55 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Now watch the EQ while the track plays. It will switch the low shelf boost on, just for the desired portions.
Note that you can also vary or sweep parameters instead of using the automation like an on-off switch. (In this case for example, perhaps controlling "band 1 gain" instead of "band 1 active".)

Cool! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

Hey Mark,

once again you outdid yourself with a fantastic tutorial. Much appreciated, although I
admit it will take me some time to fully get my head around this technique.

Are others using this too, I wonder?

thanks
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

And another entry for my big book of Mixcraft tutorials. I save the visuals from these posts for future reference. 8)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Great stuff as always Mark! I just assumed the OP was about busses et al.

And to the OP, automation, whatever parameters you're manipulating is really important across the board. And yeah, it is some heady stuff when you start working with multiple effects but the more you use it you'll find how useful it is.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

To me, automation can be separated between what the electronic music folks do and mixing.

But yeah, a "static" mix is kind of a rough mix. I would say even a modest mix for me has 2, 3 or more automations of some sort on every track. Level first, usually panning next, and then.... your only limited by your imagination really.

But my general rule of thumb in mixing is, the listener shouldn't hear it. If a move or change is obvious it is probably too much or distracting/detracting from the song.
Usually.
Unless its intended to grab the listener.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

guitbuddy wrote:Much appreciated, although I admit it will take me some time to fully get my head around this technique.

Are others using this too, I wonder?
It would likely be clearer if I created a short video. I understand this preference and find that myself- But to explain that and further answer your closing question:

I selected these specific details because it was a real world scenario in a current open project. It took but minutes to create a couple of images and share them with short explanations.

To create even a short video takes far more time and effort and then you have to upload to a host, and users have to click on a link to view the video on the host and...…
And video really shines when you get the audio/narration portion worked out. But using a screen recording app and getting the audio to work without a bunch of additional effort has so far eluded me. Its a PITA actually. :evil:
And my narrators voice talent always seems to be lacking.....

Simple is good. 8)

But if you need further explanation, just let me know where and I will be glad to try to clear that up. Even if it requires creating that video.....
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
aj113

Post by aj113 »

In my opinion it is easier and more effective to duplicate the track and chop up the clips if you want to automate. The problem with automation is that you can't easily SEE when each change in automation kicks in. Also, it's so easy to accidentally leave the wrong parameter in the automation lane, then go back later and think that you are adjusting level, when you are not.