Skin

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

JNS WRNHD

Skin

Post by JNS WRNHD »

Hi, fellow Mixcrafters and Moderators. On a strictly estetic note, are there any plans of alternative skin layout for inside of the Mixcraft software? Thx.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Skin

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can currently change to a lighter track background color in Display preferences.

Having an option to choose a from bunch of different skins is a common feature request. So far, the software developers have been more concerned with audio features than visual features.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Acoustica Greg wrote: So far
As a glass half full guy, I like the sound of that!

M
chibear

Post by chibear »

You can tweek the color on a lot of things in the mixskin.ini file, at your peril of course, so backup the original before playing.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

LOL,
I have glasses in many colors and sizes. I don't care which one it is, just as long as something good is in it!.. :wink:

I might even have a post modern era mug with some Mahogany strips on the sides. That'll work just dandy.
(Ducking)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
JNS WRNHD

Post by JNS WRNHD »

Thx Greg, thx chibear. Others, the sarcasm is all lost on me. The only thing it accomplish is a reluctantness to ever put out questions at all. The estetics are, of course, secondary to the function of the DAW, but, hey, isn´t the environment of any importance? Do you like one color better than another, do you like some food over other food, do you like the smell of one spice over another? Please hold back on the sarkasm. / Jonas
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

I don't think anyone meant any harm here.

Though GUI editing isn't the most user friendly, the potential to edit and change at will is there. Everything is "exposed" to the user to manipulate as he chooses. And some have. :wink:

"mixskin.ini" entries contain graphic file names and RGB colors that can be changed with Notepad.

"mixrez" folder contains graphic files that can be changed with Photoshop.

Other files can be edited as well depending on how deep you want to go with it.

Save the originals in a safe place.
Last edited by sjoens on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes, no reason to take it as a personal affront Jonas. Just humor in light of the many previous times this has come up and how a few people, while making some good suggestions and offering great reasoning, still.... take it soooo seriously. :shock:

In defense of my "wisecrack" I will again explain that I would be all for a few long overdue graphical updates.

However, at the same time, I feel that any time spent on that at the expense of (for example) expanding routing options, updating/expanding the Piano roll/CC programming functions, and many other functional updates, is time poorly spent.
Also, having tested/used/observed many of the competitors, I must say I don't "get" the comparison that many of them "look" better in any great way. Several are actually not only quite unattractive, but the graphic designs impede their function far more than improve it. I have yet to use a single competing product and think "Wow, this GUI is really great!"
Several have some functional features I wish Mixcraft had though...... 8)
But Mixcraft just works. That's why I still use it.

And yes, as pointed out, we can make some graphical changes ourselves. If you care to learn some relatively basic programming/graphic design skills.
Several of us did that and exchanged ideas some time back, and several of those ideas were incorporated into the current design. I would note that as far as I am aware, no one did a major graphic overhaul.

What I learned during that little exercise was that it was very time consuming and that every time there was an update to Mixcraft, the new download eliminated my work and my files had to be swapped back in. Seeing as I was doing beta testing, that was happening frequently. And for what? In the end, it was all time lost that could have been invested into learning about, or actually creating music/audio itself.
But that's me. An opinion. I am not in any way trying to change yours.

But still, if you have some specific suggestions, by all means put it in the suggestions thread! There have been some really good ideas on this subject (and others) shared there.
Some people just want to debate the wood strips on the sides of the mixer. And some of us might find that funny after a while. :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
JNS WRNHD

Post by JNS WRNHD »

Thx, guys, for taking the time to explain your posts and getting deep into why you feel the way you do. / Jonas