64 vs 32 bit (yeah, again - sorry)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Bellzemos

64 vs 32 bit (yeah, again - sorry)

Post by Bellzemos »

Hi!

So, I have my old Win7 x64 PC (oldest i7, 6 GB RAM, HDD) with Mixcraft 5 32-bit, Addictive Drums 1.5 32-bit and Amplitube 3 32-bit. Those two are the main 2 VSTs that I use.

Now I bought a new Win10 x64 PC (i7-7700K, 32 GB RAM, NVMe). I usually lay down about 10 Amplitube guitar tracks and 1 or 2 Addictive Drum tracks. Then maybe some vocals, fx, MIDI instruments etc.

On the old PC i got crackling and other problems. I don't want these problems anymore on the new one.

So, what do you think, should I stick with the 32-bit Mixcraft (and VSTs) or move to 64-bit and buy all anew?

Thanx!
Topcheese

Re: 64 vs 32 bit (yeah, again - sorry)

Post by Topcheese »

You should be good with the 32 bit versions, unless there are known problems with those plugins. You could use the version number to search this site for any previous post.
Windows 10 build 16299
AMD A8-6410 @ 2GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Sonar V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49
YMMV :roll: :arrow: https://www.reverbnation.com/dirtbom
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

You shouldn't have to buy anything again just to switch from 32 to 64 bit. If you own the license, that entitles you to download/install whichever version you prefer.

That said, with your powerhouse system, I'd normally advise to go all 64-bit, but the problem is you are still on Mixcraft 5 which is only 32 bit. That limits your upgrade possibilities -- unless, of course, you bump up to the latest Mixcraft and go 64 bit.

FWIW, a 32-bit application can only address 4 GB of RAM on a 64-bit Operating System (So that 32 GB of ram is mostly going to waste if you stay 32 bit).
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

If you're spending the money on a new computer with the goal of having a better recording rig, it's $29 to upgrade your copy of Mixcraft 5 to Mixcraft 8, and there are so many more new features.

32-bit, 64-bit, with the horsepower of the system you have now, you can run anything you want.

My suggestion is whatever you do, upgrade Mixcraft to the latest version, which is 8.5. If you think Melodyne is something you would make use of, spring for the Pro Studio version. The only difference between standard and Pro is the bundled plug-ins, and Melodyne and Pianissimo are the biggies for me. If they don't mean anything to you, don't worry about it.

Install the 64-bit version of Mixcraft, which will have no trouble running 32-bit plug-ins, but your licenses for Amplitube and Addictive Drums likely grant you the right to download and install 64-bit versions anyway.
-Erik
Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos »

Thank you. But regarding my first post, the amount of tracks I use and two main VSTs (Amplitue and Addictirve Drums), by your experience, would you think I'd need 32-bit DAW (Mixcraft)? Would I need more than 4 GB RAM?
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

Mate, with that computer you have, running Mixcraft 5 32 bit on it is a crime.

Pay the paltry sum to upgrade to Mixcraft 8 64bit, you should not need to buy new vst's, you just download the 64bit versions.

Your "old" computer is still more powerful than my current one and I can run 15 vst tracks of Kontakt etc and also another 15 of audio tracks without problem.

You don't say what audio interface you are using or how many/what speed hardrives your using which I suspect are more the reasons for crackling than your old computer.
Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos »

I installed Mixcraft 8 for testing but it installs in my language by default. I'd like to install it in English (with English menus). My Windows language is English anyway. If I change language after the install, the links still remain in my language... Any way to install it in English from the get-go?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What links?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos »

Hi!

Links to the Mixcraft and it's files in my Start menu. Yes, I know I'm nitpicking, but that didn't happen on my old Windows 7 PC with Mixcraft 5.

Thank you.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

To avoid this problem altogether, you could change the language setting of Windows to English. Mixcraft uses the Windows language setting to determine which language to use. You'd have to uninstall and install again.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos »

My Windows display language is set to English (US). My keyboard is native. I think it should already had installed Mixcraft in English?