Ear piercing exploding noises when core audio options set 24 bit and beyond

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

isuperduper

Ear piercing exploding noises when core audio options set 24 bit and beyond

Post by isuperduper »

As stated in the title when I select 24 bit or 32 bit in the core audio options I get a ridiculously loud white noise randomly. I can be working for 30 mins and then bam it happens randomly. Or sometimes when I save the project and open it back up while it’s loading plugins it starts to make gun shot noises that can damage one’s ear and goes away until it’s done loading.

If I switch it back to 16 bit I have no compatibility issues.

Is it because of my sound drivers limiting me or is something else the culprit?
JonInc

Re: Ear piercing exploding noises when core audio options set 24 bit and beyond

Post by JonInc »

Noise bursts are typically related to your sound card drivers. Are you using an onboard sound card or dedicated audio interface? Make sure you have the latest version of the driver. If you are using a generic sound card, try the free asio4all driver.

"Core audio" is a Mac driver term. Are you running Windows inside of a Mac?

Finally, download and install the free Ice9 automute VST and keep it activated at the end of your master bus. It "should" stop any loud bursts from damaging your ears/speakers.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... /2759-Ice9
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Are you using an interface and ASIO with up to date drivers from manufacturer? Also, unless your system can handle it,24 and 32 bit will take a lot of resources.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

JonInc wrote:"Core audio" is a Mac driver term. Are you running Windows inside of a Mac?
Actually, Core Audio is WaveRT, and if you go into Sound Device preferences, it's listed that way: "Core Audio (WaveRT)." This just refers to Windows own audio API.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Actually, Core Audio is WaveRT ...
Thanks Greg, I stand corrected... Of course, this still leads to the next logical step: OP trying an ASIO driver (native or asio4all).
isuperduper

Post by isuperduper »

JonInc wrote:Noise bursts are typically related to your sound card drivers. Are you using an onboard sound card or dedicated audio interface? Make sure you have the latest version of the driver. If you are using a generic sound card, try the free asio4all driver.

"Core audio" is a Mac driver term. Are you running Windows inside of a Mac?

Finally, download and install the free Ice9 automute VST and keep it activated at the end of your master bus. It "should" stop any loud bursts from damaging your ears/speakers.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... /2759-Ice9
Thank you for your reply. I’m currently using waveRT. If I switch to ASIO is it considered better? And I’ll be sure to download the mute plugin.
isuperduper

Post by isuperduper »

Rolling Estonian wrote:Are you using an interface and ASIO with up to date drivers from manufacturer? Also, unless your system can handle it,24 and 32 bit will take a lot of resources.

M
I’m using integrated motherboard sound with no dedicated sound card. I have the waveRT selected with the ASIO option grayed out. I’m assuming that means I do not have the ASIO drivers installed. My pc can handle 24 and 32 bit for sure just need to get this noise burst problem out of the way. I’ll be sure to check out ASIO.

Thanks a ton!
isuperduper

Post by isuperduper »

Also, one more question guys. what is the difference between regular 32 bit and 32 bit (float)?

Thank you!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

isuperduper wrote:I’m using integrated motherboard sound with no dedicated sound card. I have the waveRT selected with the ASIO option grayed out. I’m assuming that means I do not have the ASIO drivers installed. My pc can handle 24 and 32 bit for sure just need to get this noise burst problem out of the way. I’ll be sure to check out ASIO.

Thanks a ton!
Hi,

Go to the web page of your computer manufacturer, and download the audio drivers from there.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
isuperduper wrote:I’m using integrated motherboard sound with no dedicated sound card. I have the waveRT selected with the ASIO option grayed out. I’m assuming that means I do not have the ASIO drivers installed. My pc can handle 24 and 32 bit for sure just need to get this noise burst problem out of the way. I’ll be sure to check out ASIO.

Thanks a ton!
Hi,

Go to the web page of your computer manufacturer, and download the audio drivers from there.

Greg
And if there aren't any ASIO drivers (Since it isn't common for onboard sound cards to have them) try the free asio4all drivers here:

http://www.asio4all.org/