Apparent Problem With Sidechaining And Melda Plugins

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dpaterson

Apparent Problem With Sidechaining And Melda Plugins

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

I've had a small issue with most all of my Melda plugins since I've had them and it's been bothering me. Basically what happens is that the moment I load a Melda plugin the sidechain input meters are pushed to maximum as shown below. I contacted Melda and an excerpt from their response is below. Upon receiving the response I've done some testing. Basically when I load a Melda plugin and the problem occurs then I simply select a sidechain source, change processing from L+R to anything else (L for example), switch the sidechain input off again, and then select L+R processing. The problem then dissapears (but reoccurs the next time).

Oh and just discovered: if I "resolve" the problem as described above then it returns all by its self even if Mixcraft is just left standing on its own for a while i.e. after getting the meters to .inf they shoot up again on their own as if by magic (just happened to me while I was posting an another thread around here).

Melda's response:
The Side meter is actually not related to Mid/Side processing, it's a level meter for sidechain and apparently Mixcraft doesn't really initialize sidechain input unless you send something to it.
Melda Problem.JPG
Melda Problem.JPG (153.18 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Regards,

Dale.
Ian Craig

Re: Apparent Problem With Sidechaining And Melda Plugins

Post by Ian Craig »

Hi Dale,

Now that you mention it, it does remind me how many times I've noticed it, but admittedly, there are so many other things going on in most of their plugins that I only considered it a problem when something else wasn't working right, or when I was just getting pissed off in general ... yeah, they should fix it, but the guy who programs it all (God in my book) seems to have been busy making excellent new tutorial videos to make up for the woefully inadequate manuals (most of which are the same for each plugin and the bits that aren't are usually not that easy to identify without reading the whole way through each one, which would obviously take forever). That has been, to me at least, a Big problem
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hey Ian.

Their stuff is good though let's face it. In spite of my very early, uneducated, misgivings based solely and stupidly on their GUI (which I have now grown extremely accustomed to and actually prefer for many reasons not least of which is their responsiveness and accuracy): they're the best in my opinion (and I'm still working through all of them on an as needed basis but I must say that I marvel at each new plugin of theirs that I open). Even something as simple as filters e.g. MBandPass actually does what it says on the tin with microscopic accuracy!!! But you're right about the documentation. I've noticed particularly that some of the offline (PDF) manuals are not the same as the online manuals (and a few of those seem to be outdated too). Given the price of these things: the manuals SHOULD be correct I guess (then again: I know what it's like to write manuals i.e. it's the hell of all jobs and usually the very last thing to be done so I do sympathise although it's no excuse).

With regard to the problem: I'm not sure if it's affecting things or not but it cannot be "healthy" either. They did say to also ensure that I'm not using surround sound with Mixcraft (which I'm not so that's not the problem i.e. it's definitely got to do with the sidechaining in Mixcraft which I believe I've managed to validate).

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

For the sake of completeness (as usual)...

What I'm now resorting to is to simply ensure that I have a blank (dummy) audio track in a project which is always muted. If I have an issue with a Melda plugin then I just activate the sidechain using this blank (dummy) track as the input and the problem dissapears "as if by magic".

Regards,

Dale.
starise

Post by starise »

FYI Melda recently released plugin updates which are free. If you haven't recently updated your plugins I would recommend this.
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Thanks for the heads up. But yeh: already updated (I'm pretty good with that type of thing I have to say) (probably spend a little too much time making sure everything installed is the latest version) (if the truth be told).

Not a serious problem though (I don't think anyway).

Regards,

Dale.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

dpaterson wrote:For the sake of completeness (as usual)...

What I'm now resorting to is to simply ensure that I have a blank (dummy) audio track in a project which is always muted. If I have an issue with a Melda plugin then I just activate the sidechain using this blank (dummy) track as the input and the problem dissapears "as if by magic".

Regards,

Dale.
Nice one Dale :)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Forgot to mention (although it may seem obvious):

Once sidechained click on the Side meter reading to reset to "inf." and you're done.

Regards,

Dale.