Orchestral VSTs

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Re: Orchestral VSTs

Post by mixyguy2 »

Ian Craig wrote:
mixyguy2 wrote:PS! Just stumbled on this, no clue about it, but an earlier version of Garritan's "Personal Orchestra" for $17.50! The current version for comparison sells for $150. FWIW: http://vst-club.com/vst-instruments/gar ... -2767.html

I thought I'd test this site out by buying something for $5 (plus $5 to download ???) i.e. $10
I selected the paypal option but no window came up but it said 'thank you for your purchase'. The download is only available after payment completes and I was sent an invoice link but no download link.
I think I've found this site before several years ago but the site has no record of the account I'm pretty sure I created and Google has no password logged for it, so I think I got to this point with it about 3 years ago, but when the paypal option doesn't work I think they might email me about bank account details, which they are not getting. In other words, I think the site is a scam to get bank account details off people. Please avoid rushing into these things !
I agree and apologies for stupidly posting. Edited my orig post.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

mixyguy2 wrote:Just stumbled on this, no clue about it, but an earlier version of Garritan's "Personal Orchestra" for $17.50! The current version for comparison sells for $150. FWIW: http://vst-club.com/vst-instruments/gar ... -2767.html
They said I'd receive a download link but it just said 'download' in a box, it didn't work so I emailed them about it and they sent a real link (saying they had already sent it, which they hadn't). The link is to an ISO file which contains a .exe file, a .cmd file and a text file which contains this text

"R2R IS AGAINST BUSINESS WAREZ

Abstract :

Some of our release works only if you block the specific websites.
Run included "R2R_IS_AGAINST_BUSINESS_WAREZ_*.cmd" to block.
Or manually add lines below to the hosts file.

127.0.0.1 www.r2rdownload.com
127.0.0.1 www.elephantafiles.com

Your hosts file is basically located to
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Because we are not malware developer like some "legit" companies,
we don't do those modification silently."

I'm not totally sure what all this means, apart from it's an R2R warez site obviously. I downloaded a Roland D-50 thing to test but the .exe doesn't run. Presumably it requires adding some of the text to a command line, but it's not very clear English and I don't wish to compromise my machine or licenses, I do however know that the Roland software was a cloud-based rental thing (which never appealed to me) but I don't need the software anyway. If you have no money I am not going to suggest that you should not have access to things that other people do, (that's why libraries came into existence, wasn't it?), so ultimately it's down to each individual what they choose to do. This is just information about what the site actually is. Be educated. Good luck.
Last edited by Ian Craig on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Of course, it is possible to get lots of great non-warez stuff like Quadrant by Glitch Machines dirt cheap on deals at places like Plugin Boutique ;)
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 4-Quadrant
Windows 10 Professional
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

To the OP, might want to check this (free): https://www.kvraudio.com/product/vsco2- ... nstruments

The sounds are a mixed bag, some better than others, but again free so worth a look, you may find some use.
BillW

Post by BillW »

mixyguy2:
I will most definitely check that out. Probably going to buy Garritan, but this is worth a look first. Thanks
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Yeah, sorry, for bringing up that link to Quadrant, it is a bit off topic (that's what happens when you've been away for 2 days i.e. I forgot :lol: )
Windows 10 Professional
BillW

Post by BillW »

mixyguy2 -
I tried out the free orchestra plugin you mentioned - here's my quick comments:

Overall - positive. I liked the articulation choices and other options to add a bit more realism (attack/release for example)

The instrument choices were a bit light but certainly OK. No solo cello or viola or bass - just sections.

They have a thing simply called "horn" which I assume is either a french horn or english horn. I like the sound - and it's closer to the french horn in acoustica instruments, so I assume that's it (more on that later)

There are a few things I noticed right away I'd probably use - such as the harp and maybe the timpani roll (I have to see what options of notes are given - offhand it didn't seem like a whole range). I have a couple other timpani vsts I haven't tried yet so maybe they have a better option there.

It may well be my machine, but it crashed MX a couple times. Usually though when I was switching to a different instrument and started playing before it finished loading.

(Sonivox as I said before simply wouldn't get past my virus protector after a while - no such issue here. Probably "user error / impatience!)

Back to my French Horn comment - Acoustica Instruments is really pretty good. The one difference I noticed is that vibrato seems to be the default on Acoustica - and I don't know if there is a way to have sustain or any other articulation controls. I suspect not. But the sound of Acoustica is really very good.

I'm probably going to buy Garriton as I said - but I may play around with this a bit more before I decide.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

np and I agree with all of your comments (although it never crashed Mixcraft for me). I was also surprised there was no solo cello etc. Yeah "horn" is definitely a French Horn, though IMO it's not that great; Acoustica's is easily better and quite good IMO.

IMO, if you're really into doing some serious recording, depending on your needs (esp if some of those instruments will be heard solo or prominently featured vs just part of a big ensemble), Garritan or similar is probably worth the buy, but otherwise, I think this could fill the bill. The strings I thought sounded very nice; the only problem (and I wonder how/if the more highly regarded VSTi's do it) is there's no real legato, which seriously detracts from any such attempts to play...
BillW

Post by BillW »

Well, the free VST crashed Mixcraft on opening the project I used it in. I loved the timpani roll and used it - everything was fine. Then saved the project. Came back to it later and the project would not open - no error, it just shut down MX.

I removed the VST files and tried again and it opened (with an error saying it can't find that plugin).

So who knows why it works on some computers and not others? Not worth the effort to find out. I know some free plugins are buggy and experiences vary from person to person.

I appreciate the suggestion and worth a try for others who might stumble on this thread and are not interested in spending money. It may well work ok for you.

starise

Post by starise »

Even though Kontakt is a bit painful for entry, as others have stated it opens up literally tons of other sample library options. The included library is quite extensive. Not only orchestral instruments. It also has many others for pop/rock work, choirs, etc..

For awhile I had forgotten all the gems in Kontakt and had been buying other libraries when in some cases I could have been ok with Kontakt. I have Kirk Hunter Diamond. Never heard about the hubbub on it. I go to them sometimes. The key switching is a nice thing to have for realism, but isn't always necessary. I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above Kontakt for many things. I don't use KH much any more.

A few others that won't break the bank if you have Kontakt already Hyperion strings from soundiron are nice for the price. 8dio has some good stuff. They have regular sales. I have a lib called "lucky harp". Most awesome harp!
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

BillW wrote:Well, the free VST crashed Mixcraft on opening the project I used it in. I loved the timpani roll and used it - everything was fine. Then saved the project. Came back to it later and the project would not open - no error, it just shut down MX.

I removed the VST files and tried again and it opened (with an error saying it can't find that plugin).

So who knows why it works on some computers and not others? Not worth the effort to find out. I know some free plugins are buggy and experiences vary from person to person.

I appreciate the suggestion and worth a try for others who might stumble on this thread and are not interested in spending money. It may well work ok for you.
Sorry to hear. Well nothing lost :)

starise wrote:Even though Kontakt is a bit painful for entry, as others have stated it opens up literally tons of other sample library options. The included library is quite extensive. Not only orchestral instruments. It also has many others for pop/rock work, choirs, etc..
I am not an NI fan in general. Most of their stuff is way overpriced, I hate the iLok-ish BS, and they make things so ridiculously complicated, I think just to make it appear you're getting more than you really are. Also their products (that I have seen/used anyway) are often underwhelming/overrated. Just my .02
BillW

Post by BillW »

My opinion on the full version of Kontakt - from simply reading up on it more:
1. Certainly very extensive
2. Certainly very expensive

Not in my budget given this is just an occasional hobby. but for those who need more and can afford it, I'd say there is a strong reason to own it.

starise

Post by starise »

Just a couple more things I'll throw out there for anyone who is looking at the options available.

It's a actually difficult to find Kontakt for sale on the NI website.If you poke around a bit you'll evetually find it. I think NI want it this way because they would much rather you buy Komplete for a bit more. We are up to Kontakt 6 now and it seems to be selling here for about 399.00 US. You can sometimes land a good deal on a copy of Kontakt on ebay. Version 5 will still do everything you need. NI does allow license transfers.

I ended up with Komplete. This is a pretty serious hobby for me and I got a really good deal from NI a few Christmases ago. I still have version 10 of that. You pay more but you also GET a lot more with Komplete. NI marketing seems bent in that direction. Once you get Komplete you might never need anything else ever. I mean it's a monster of a program.

As mentioned, once you get Kontakt there are both free and low priced libraries from third parties. The difference between third party libraries and the ones certified by NI are how they show up in your browser. All certified libraries are in the Kontakt browser with easy to find graphics. The 3rd party libraries are not as easy to locate. You'll need to download these libraries and make a path to them for Kontakt to see them. This is both good and bad. It's good because the makers didn't pay the steep fees NI charges to list libs in their browser and they usually pass that benefit on to you. I have both and once you get the hang of it, this really doesn't matter much.

I should mention a competitive library player called ENGINE. I have a few of their libraries. Not quite as intuitive as Kontakt. Still a fully workable alternative if you can get the libraries for it you like. ENGINE is free though. Most ENGINE libraries have a price. Here's some info on that here- https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2017/0 ... ne-2-free/

I have a few ENGINE libraries. IMHO the sounds are quite good.

Yet another option is this with the UVI player. Looks like a nice orchestra with a small footprint. UVI player is also free.You get some sounds with it.
https://www.uvi.net/en/orchestral/orchestral-suite.html
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise
BillW

Post by BillW »

starise:
I've not bought anything yet - and I must say thank you for your suggestions. It seems that UVI Orchestral Suite is quite comprehensive. A bit more than I intended to spend but very possibly worth it.

(The design of the website looks so very familiar - similar to EWQL but I think it's based on another company's vstis I've seen. )

So I'll spend some time reading reviews of UVI's product.

Thanks again!

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

starise wrote:I should mention a competitive library player called ENGINE. I have a few of their libraries. Not quite as intuitive as Kontakt......
Ouch! Theres a VSTi less intuitive than KontaKt? :shock: :lol:

Kidding. A little.
Actually after witnessing a demo of how KLI libraries can be used in the latest version, I am considering taking another (3rd or 4th I think) stab at Kontakt. But still, I suggest anyone unfamiliar with the thing try out the free version for a while and see if it suits you. The price point and complexity aren't for the faint of heart IMO.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page