Remote MX App - Android

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Remote MX App - Android

Post by BillW »

Is this still supported in MX8?

I went into preferences and selected it in the control surfaces, restarted MX just for good luck, opened the app on my phone, typed in the IP address on my computer, and clicked connect.

Nothing happened.

Not a big deal - just that I started recording my acoustic 12 string and my optimum mic placement is away from the computer, so this would be handy.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Thomas

Re: Remote MX App - Android

Post by Thomas »

Hi Bill,

I was able to get the remote working with MC 8, Windows 10 and Windows firewall. When Mixcraft remote tried to connect, Windows firewall threw up a pop-up and I had to allow an exception in Windows firewall for the Mixcraft remote. If this is not happening for you automatically you may have to go into your firewall and do it manually.

Tom
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
BillW

Post by BillW »

I suspected it might be my virus "protector". I use McAfee (and am REALLY starting to hate it).

1. It wouldn't run Sonivox free trial - quarantined it and even after removing it from the quarantine list it refused to work.

2. It auto renewed on me 45 days before the subscription expired. I emailed them and got no response. Have to call (and probably be put on hold). I get a free Norton from work now so I'm cancelling.

3. Yes - I got a message from Mixcraft about the firewall possible issue, but McAfeee didn't give me a warning. It's very possible they decided to block it without giving me the option. worse, there are NO details about what they have decided to block. The "report" just says 14.2K things blocked in the last month.

So - this is really a rant against McAfee. I seriously doubt there have been nearly 500 attacks on my machine in the last month. It's probably normal traffic that is not dangerous - but they want things to be oh so very dangerous that you're willing to spend $$$ on their efficient product.

In the meantime, they block and quarantine perfectly safe stuff and don't give an option to decide. They know better! They are protecting me from the big bad world because clearly I'm WAY too stupid or naive to make those decisions myself!

Rant over - but I don't feel much better.

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Post by BillW »

I turned off the firewall (temporarily) and it connected. I got the screen with the (limited) activities allowed in the app.

But none of them did anything. Not play, the arrow going back to the beginning of the project - nothing.

It seems kind of buggy and while likely very useful if it worked, trying to get it to work is taking me away from playing, recording, mixing.

Nice try, Acoustica, but I'd say it's probably too complex to have it work seamlessly for the wide number of possible things that could make it fail.

I also see on Google Play several downvotes - and no updates in years. so I suspect Acousitca decided (correctly) to spend their limited resources on other things.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah I think acoustica claims compatibility up through version 7. And after that it sounds like it's hit or miss.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It works just fine with Windows 10 and Mixcraft 8. The most common problem with the Mixcraft Remote and any version of Windows or Mixcraft is Windows Firewall or some other firewall blocking it. In a few cases it turned out to be the router’s firewall that was blocking it.

And of course, make sure that you do have Mixcraft Remote enabled in Mixcraft control surface preferences.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

Not a big deal, but I want to say again that with my firewall turned off, it DOES connect. It just doesn't do anything. I assume if I hit play on my phone, the project should play. It doesn't.

I have it in my control surfaces. Again - firewall turned off. Again, it connects after typing the ip address, I get the graphic with the controls. They don't do anything.

Not complaining, Greg. You know I love Mixcraft and the support I get here. This one simply doesn't work for my configuration for some reason that isn't worth figuring out.

Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Just downloaded and tested with MC8, no issues here.

It really sounds like McAfee is the culprit for you Bill. I've found that some free anti malware/virus protectors are far better than the paid when it comes to being less invasive. And free is always good for me. IMO people are a bit too hung up on security at times, not saying it's not important, not at all, but as I mentioned the free stuff out there is as good if not better than paid. And you can protect yourself on so many levels. From apps in the browser to the browser itself, a real time scanner and a clean up tool are readily available and solid. Again, my opinion, not trying to start a big to do about computer safety, just thought I'd give my $.02.

M
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I still have the app on my phone from last year in Mixcraft 8 using windows 8.1. I just tried to run it on my current installation and it only found Mixcraft after I pressed play on the computer, since then it's worked fine.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Yep, the remote app works great here! Interestingly Mixcraft 8 showed up twice in the allowed apps screen, and then 4 times when I went back to that screen. :?

Anyway, I had to have both Private and Public networks checked for it to work, guess I have something set up wrong with my network?

- N
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

I’m running Mixcraft 8 on Windows 10, and installed Mixcraft Remote on my IPhone last night, and it works good... Oh and after adding Mixcraft Remote too my control surfaces drop-down menu MC Remote automatically connected. :)
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Just wanted to add it worked seamlessly from the start on my Android phone. Nice feature, but a plan B would be to have a wireless keyboard which I have used in the past when recording vocals away from the comp.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio