Upgrading my machine

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Upgrading my machine

Post by BillW »

A new computer is not in my budget (anything I could afford would just be a minor upgrade to what I have.

So I've decided to do two upgrades. I thought I had already increased my memory - but that must have been my laptop (which I've stopped using completely anyway. The machine I have has 4 GB now and the max is 8. An inexpensive upgrade (about $30) and I'll do that first. It will likely help for non-Mixcraft work I do on it anyway. (I'm running Windows 10)

Next is a solid state drive. A bit more involved, and about $150 for a 1TB drive, but I'm confident I can do that (by first making it an external usb drive through an adaptor, then cloning my current drive, then installing it internally using a 3.5 to 2.5 kit).

Finally, I can then use the usb converter to turn my 500GB internal drive to an external drive for non-Mixcraft files.

All this should enable me to move to 64bit MX, or at least give it a go again.

Comments? In particular, which of the two changes will give me the best improvement (memory or SSD) - recognizing it depends on how many tracks and what vsts/vstis I use?
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
mixyguy2

Re: Upgrading my machine

Post by mixyguy2 »

I can't say 100% for sure but feel confident the memory upgrade is your best move by far. And the cheaper. Win/win. :)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

@Bill,

I'd be inclined to recommend both if possible. With a caveat.

First off, since your goal is to try migrating to 64 bit, there's just not much point if you are still only utilizing 4G of RAM, since the whole point of that is to access more.
The SSD advantage might depend on individual user pattern/type. But I can confirm that as compared to a traditional hard drive the difference has been quite noticable for me. Over a 7400 RPM HD, maybe less than over a 5400. That would be pretty big. Again, depends on your specific use. I suspect based on what you have indicated a desire to explore, again, recommended.

But.... What we dont know is the potential limitations of your processor and M/board and how that factors in. If thats restricting you, I suspect either/both of the above may provide limited improvement.

If I am off base, maybe one of the real computer geeks around here will correct me.
I can only speak of my own experience. Which is that moving to a quad core 16G SSD equipped machine was a huge leap over my previous dual core 4G standard HD equipped machine.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
BillW

Post by BillW »

To some extent I believe I can also upgrade my cpu on the motherboard I have.

I can also (I believe) replace the motherboard to have it take an even better cpu

But then I think I have to worry if the power supply can handle it.

So at that point I suspect I'm better off buying a new machine. Or even a more powerful refurbed one

So small steps. I'm not displeased with MX in my current config. Just thinking I'd be better off / more flexible in 3rd party vstis moving to 64 bit. Which means maxing out the memory

Now 8 gig with 64 bit Mixcraft might not be much better than 32bit with it's 4 gig limit. But since the memory is cheap, I'll start there. I already have it. Just need the time to install it (not tough - I've done it a few times on other machines. But I don't want to feel rushed doing it.)

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Bill, I've done both upgrades to my current machine, but it was a 64 machine to begin with so that didn't matter. The upgrade of RAM and an SSD made a big difference in boot up, system speed and multitasking. Like Mark said, you may be restricted by your motherboard but it's still worth a shot, IMO.

M
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Never had an SSD so can't speak to how much of a diff it would make. You could probably do a search and find % info, but mostly I'd think that would help when booting your DAW and such, not so much when working in the DAW itself. That's where memory and the CPU reign. I've really no doubt the upgrade to 8GB is a no-brainer move, in fact depending on what you're doing, might even be enough for the near term.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Did the memory upgrade today; installed MX 8 Pro Studio 64bit.

And got "bit" (pun intended) regarding Kontakt. Detailed in another post.

Very frustrated.

Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

You are wasting your time upgrading that machine, the dual core cpu is the block and so is the motherboard.

Even if you put a bigger CPU in it, it wont make a lot of difference because there is little difference between CPU's that you can put in that motherboard. It's just not worth upgrading that machine. It will be cheaper to upgrade to something newer, you will only waste your money and time for little or no reward.

Remember that everything you buy is rated at the same level of the generation of the motherboard, the CPU's and RAM available for that motherboard will be old, slow technology.

New components today are so far advanced to what you have.

Running windows 10 64 bit applications on an old computer with a dual core processor far a DAW will cause more agony than its worth. Sounds like you need to save your projects in full and find another machine to migrate to. You are just not going to get a significant difference in performance from that generation computer.

I know others say you can run both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of this and that on your machine but I think that is just confusing, and those same people then appear on different forums with problems stemming from exactly this. If you want to go 64 bit then make it all 64 bit. No confusion.

Look for another machine and make it all 64 bit.

The SSD is a good upgrade but you can take that with you to the next machine. The other upgrades will not make your machine more valuable, you won't get more money for it and they won't lead to much better performance at all.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Torton5 -

Much appreciation for a very honest assessment. Intuitively I felt what you were saying, but my heart and wallet were hoping I'd get SOME benefit from the two upgrades.

I must say moving to 64bit Mixcraft is time consuming - and you allude to that as well. That is, even if I solve my Kontakt issue (in another thread) I still need to move to 64 bit for the plug ins as well. I have such a mess of plug ins all over the place that I'm not even sure which are which. Plus I've only downloaded 32 bit (including the ones I've paid for) - so I'd have to go through and see which have 64bit available.

Running 32 and 64 bit - as you say - just adds confusion that is counter-productive. I have to commit to one or the other given the computer I have - not the one I wish I had.

The fact is - a new machine is outside my budget - especially given this is a hobby. I'd be looking at $500 minimum. (If I'm wrong about that - if I'm overstating the expense - please tell me I'm wrong. I'd love to hear that.) Can't justify that for a (very) part time hobby when it would be overkill for everything else I do on this computer.

As you say - and as I've already concluded - no point in even thinking about upgrading the CPU or motherboard.

The memory has been added (only $30 - no big deal though outside of 64bit MX I doubt I'd tax the machine enough for it to make a difference. All I do other than MX is spreadsheets,ripping DVDs occasionally and some organization of music files - ripping CDs and converting them to FLAC for devices that support that and MP3 for devices that don't. I don't think my software takes advantage of 64bit for any of that.

The SSD as you say can be used in another machine if some day I do go that route. Still, I'm holding off for now because I think I first have to commit myself to moving completely to 64bit (organize my plugins and projects etc etc).

My fear is that once I'm there it simply won't run well anyway and I'd have to go back to 32bit - which would be another time consuming headache.

So I'm torn - and all this is taking up time better spent making and mixing music! I've already made a mess somehow installing 64bit - causing some Kontakt problem (again, on another thread).

so I'm questioning myself yet again - and your analysis is helpful in that regard.

In effect the tough question is: just what is the point of moving to 64bit anyway if there is a chance the performance of it will be worse on the machine I'm stuck with? It was the temptation of an orchestra package - available only in 64bit - that had me start all this in the first place.

Again - much thanks!

outteh

Post by outteh »

Since it is a hobby, another alternative is a refurbished quad-core PC. Tiger Direct has lots. If you go with no lower than an I5 processor you will be OK. look around...... :D
BillW

Post by BillW »

Yes - a refurbed has been considered. But even an i5 was pretty expensive (relative of course to my wallet!). Worth looking into again.

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

@Bill-
To be clear, my previous post assumed (perhaps I misunderstood) that you had memory on hand to plug in and try, and similarly you possessed or had access to an SSD for this use.
Beyond that I agree that any attempt to take this further by addressing the core architecture of your PC would be futile and throwing good money after bad.
(As an aside, it always struck me as odd that companies loaded 64 bit OS into a dual core 4Gig machine..... Makes little sense to me.)

Anyway, I am sorry I cant offer a suggestion on the Kontakt issues, I last used that on a different computer back when I was on MX 6 or maybe early on 7. Never reinstalled it when I upgraded my computer or upgraded to MX8.

But I can tell you I have MX7 32, MX8 32, and MX8 64 simultaneously installed with no issues related to that. (The reason being backwards compatibility and ease of loading other peoples projects.)
Though my personal projects have been all 64 for quite some time.

I suspect when it comes right down to it, what you seek as far as orchestral plug ins and so forth are going to require considering the reality that 32 bits and modest dual core computers just aren't going to satisfy the need.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
BillW

Post by BillW »

I just did a bit of research on refurbed computers and things are in fact a lot cheaper than the last time I did this.

So a quad core i5 would in fact be in my budget. Though I'd have to spend a bit to upgrade the memory.

Good to know. I don't mind that I spent ('wasted') $30 on the memory.

Glad I didn't pop for the SSD yet. I could actually get a refurbed i5 for that money on newegg! (Though a rather sparse one)

OK - enough on all this; more research needed.

outteh

Post by outteh »

When checking out the refurbished units, make sure you review all the specs and that the case has room for expandability. Also what the max memory is in the unit. Some of the small form factor (SFF) units only support a max of maybe 8 gigs which is OK but the more the merrier (you can add and expand later). :D
BillW

Post by BillW »

Good advice Tom. That's just what I had done before (found my notes - it was over 20 months ago - prices have in fact dropped a lot since then)
Last edited by BillW on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.